GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Fires of Midway» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playtest Rule - Enhanced Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
When designing game I used the accounts of carrier captains who stressed the necessity of gaining position of the enemy to launch their planes and then using their speed to stay away from enemy counterattacks. Unfortunatly I was not able to model carrier mobility as well as would have liked (and keep everything simple) in the 1st edition of the game. Since Fires of Midway was published a year ago I have had plenty of time to reflect on ways to get more out of the original mechanics, the result is as follows...

The Enhanced Movement Rule:

Any Full Strength Carrier which chooses battle Stations or Save the Ship as its action may move one additional Map Area. A Crippled Carrier only gains the extra movement if it chooses the Save the Ship Action.

All the usual rules for movement apply so a carrier cannot enter an area with enemy ships or exceed the two carrier stacking limit. The movement is completed either before or after the launching of planes or the spending of Repair Points.

If planes are launched by a Carrier taking the Battle Stations action, the distance to the target is calculated from the map Area the carrier is in when it was launched. Also the Return Roll is made used the map Area the carrier ends movement in.

If planes launched with Battle Stations are returning into a carrier which has ducked into a Squall then a Full Strength Planes are automatically Smoked must make a Return Roll. Any plane which was Smoked after its attack run is automatically destroyed if the carrier ends its move in a Squall.

Example:

The Lexington has four Inferno on its deck at the start of its turn. The carrier chooses Battle Stations as its action. The Lexington launches a Devastator and a Dauntless at the Shokaku three Map Areas away. The player then moves the Lexington one space into a Map Area with a Squall.

The Lexington is saved from almost certain destruction. Three of the Infernos are removed when when the Lexington enters the Squall and the carrier uses its two Repair Points to flip the last Inferno to its Fire side.

After a successful strike on the Hiryu, the planes return, the Devastator is Smoking after the attack but the Devastator is unharmed. Since the Lexington is now hiding in a Squall 4 Map Areas away the Devastator automatically plummets into the Ocean.

The undamaged Dauntless however is fatigued by the increased stress of having to navigate nightmarish thunderstorms and is flipped to its Smoking Side. A Return Roll is made for the Dauntless based on the current location of the Lexington, 4 Map Areas away from the Shokaku. The roll is made and a '4' results in the destruction of the Dauntless.

So there you go, have fun with the new rules and let me know what you think. I will most likely be adding a version of the rules to the upcoming rules compendium.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! this rule can have a great impact on the game ... in your example going into the squall area really saved the carrier because, other than removing almost all the damages taken, the enemy carriers that will have their carriers turn after can't attack she now as you well know (a path cannot be plotted INTO or through an area with a Squall).

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you Roberto, that is part of the intention of the rule is to make Squall's more useful, just be careful about overusing them, if all of your carriers end a game turn inside a Squall you lose the battle!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea on the movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve

With the Enhanced Movement Rule, what happens to an already Located carrier that moves again: is it flipped to Hidden or is it still considered Located?

Thanks

Paolo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Excellent question, I forgot to mention that point in the example, a carrier which is Located ALWAYS becomes Hidden when it enters a new area.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad Steve wrote:
Excellent question, I forgot to mention that point in the example, a carrier which is Located ALWAYS becomes Hidden when it enters a new area.

Steve

Thank you, Steve.
This is an excellent tactics for the US player to try to extend the path for Japanese Strike Groups so to flip more planes to the Smoking side.

Paolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
If any of you play game using these rules please let me know how it goes I would like to get your opinion.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad Steve wrote:
If any of you play game using these rules please let me know how it goes I would like to get your opinion.

Steve

Yesterday I played Midway scenario with my son with the new enhanced movement rule.
We found new options available to carriers already hit and with fire/inferno markers on board. With the new rule a carrier can remove damage and try to conceal under a nearby cloud or squall and still ( if not crippled ) launch an effective ( 2 planes ) Strike Force against the enemy.
For an already crippled carrier this rule is a good option to try to suffer a lesser damage from following enemy Strike Forces .
One drawback of this increased movement capability is that a Task Forces of 2 carriers often end the turn split and scattered around.
Overall we really enjoyed the game and we will use this new rule in future games.

Paolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Paolo,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the advantage of Enhanced Movement is that it allows you increased strategic options but it is not without risk. Splitting a carrier task force and leaving it less protected is definitely one of the trade offs, but that does make the game a lot more interesting...

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad Steve wrote:
Paolo,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the advantage of Enhanced Movement is that it allows you increased strategic options but it is not without risk. Splitting a carrier task force and leaving it less protected is definitely one of the trade offs, but that does make the game a lot more interesting...

Steve

... and fun!!

Paolo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.