GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: GMT Mounted Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to figure out which games come with mounted boards and which one don't. Problem is, this isn't always clear on their website.

For instance, Wilderness War has the description of "One 22x34" full-color mapsheet Note that 2010 Reprint version includes a MOUNTED mapboard".

Now I assume any edition you order from GMT will be the current edition... yet it says "full-color" and the mapboard is also sold separately.

How do you know what you get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Email or phone call to GMT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burgo
msg tools
mbmb
GMT is very good at quick email responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
I am trying to figure out which games come with mounted boards and which one don't. Problem is, this isn't always clear on their website.

For instance, Wilderness War has the description of "One 22x34" full-color mapsheet Note that 2010 Reprint version includes a MOUNTED mapboard".

Now I assume any edition you order from GMT will be the current edition... yet it says "full-color" and the mapboard is also sold separately.

How do you know what you get?

They generally don't reprint until they have run out of the older ones, so you can pretty safely assume on the GMT site that the game you'll get is the current edition. Retailers, otoh, I would definitely be more cautious about.

Also, I can personally vouch for receiving the mounted board with Wilderness War, as I just received it from them directly myself

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
GMT has only recently switched to mounted map (for some of their games). All new games will state whether it comes with a mounted map, e.g. Labyrinth or Dominant Species.

In the past all maps were paper. From time to time however deluxe maps were released separately. Some of these are still offered for people owning the first edition(s).

However, a couple of games (IIRC: Here I Stand, Paths Of Glory, Wilderness War, Sword Of Rome) were reprinted in 2010 with the mounted map included. So the "2010 edition" of Wilderness War includes a mounted map. GMT doesn't sell older editions of the game.

Given time your problem will solve itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably aware of this, but make sure you don't confuse a deluxe mapboard with a mounted mapboard.

They are sold separately for gamers with older editions who would like to upgrade. Wherever you see a mounted board being sold, you can be pretty certain that the current edition from GMT also includes a mounted board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
GMT has only recently switched to mounted map (for some of their games). All new games will state whether it comes with a mounted map, e.g. Labyrinth or Dominant Species.

An exception to this is Virgin Queen. It will come with a mounted mapboard but the GMT website doesn't mention that for some reason. I posted a thread asking about it here and Gene was kind enough to reply in the thread saying it will indeed have a mounted mapboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just hope the quality of the mounted boards is more like the earlier ones (Successors, Washington's War, Paths of Glory) and not like the most recent one for C&C Napoleonics. I lightly back-folded one of the panels and to my shock it tore right off like the fold was made of sawdust. I was able to fix it with some duct tape and reinforced all the other folds, so no big problem, but I hope this was just a one time occurrence. GMT is a great company and I'm sure they would have replaced the board if I had asked them, but I figured it works just fine and I'm sure the next C&C Nap module will have a better quality board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing on the Twilight Struggle mounted board and I really like it. It's a pretty standard board, it doesn't feel lightweight or flimsy.

The one disadvantage is that it's got a linen finish, and the copy that I've been playing on has attracted some dirt and spots that show up on the light blue background. The gloss finishes seemed much more protected against this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
I've been playing on the Twilight Struggle mounted board and I really like it. It's a pretty standard board, it doesn't feel lightweight or flimsy.

The one disadvantage is that it's got a linen finish, and the copy that I've been playing on has attracted some dirt and spots that show up on the light blue background. The gloss finishes seemed much more protected against this.

We still use plexi with mounted boards when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am in the minority but I PREFER paper or cardstock maps. I always use plexiglass (or glass for home gaming) anyway whether the map is mounted or not and I wish the focus was on better COUNTERS not MOUNTED MAPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.