GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,265 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m always on the look out for games that will work with different groups, especially with my family and friends. I bought ROLLICK! The Hysterical Game of Clues and Collaboration on a whim after hearing about Reverse Charades. I compared the two games and settled on Rollick after reading dozens of glowing reviews on Amazon. I was surprised to see that the ‘Geek did not have much information on it, relative to other party games. It was priced right at the free shipping point, so got it and it turned out to be a good decision. What follows are my thoughts on the game and how it was received by my wife and four of our friends.

Components:
Like a lot of games like this, it really is only a deck of cards, a timer, and a score pad. What I can say is that the cards are extra large, which is important because the opposing team is supposed to hold them up for the players acting it out. They have clues on both sides, with “blue” being easier and “red” being more difficult. The timer is the timer, relatively hard to mess up. The score pad is elongated, which as I played them game made sense, because we wanted to add additional rounds. So, it worked also. The rules are straight forward and really are barely necessary, given everyone’s familiarity with charades.

Game Play:
This game really shines with a minor twist on charades. Instead of one person acting for the whole team, the whole team acts for one person. It is a brilliant idea and breathes new life into one of the oldest party games ever invented. Each team has one minute to act out as many clues as they can. Each card is worth a point. One tough rule is that you are allowed only one “pass” per round. Play goes back and forth for it should be noted that the red sides are significantly more difficult than the blue sides as we found out in our second game. We played wives vs. husbands with a total of 3 players on each team. Even with only two acting things out we were laughing and having a great time. We had the best success when we complimented each others’ clues, and far less when we were each trying to do our own thing. I can tell you, having to watch two people give clues is difficult and distracting.

Overall:
I was a little nervous about introducing this game, as this group can be tough on games that don’t have an immediate impact. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this game went over. All of our kids stopped playing to come into the room to watch their parents act crazy. We laughed a ton, which is usually what I try to have in any game that I bring to a social situation like this. We played Time's Up! Title Recall! before this and had a good time, but I think at the end of the night, this game was a bigger hit.
I highly recommend this game to anyone who has light, party “game nights” with friends or family. I think it would even work in a work setting as an ice breaker or as a team building activity. It absolutely belongs on your shelf if you play party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. I just bought Reverse Charades, but won't see the game till I get back to the US to pick up my new games next March.

Why did you think Rollick was the better game to buy? I know I'm asking to feel miserable about my game purchase, but I really want to know.

Montebanc
(just got the nickname "The Jester" from The Spiel podcasters. Yes!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.