Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the game "Modern Art" compare with the game "For Sale"? Here's a few observations to begin. Please add or comment!

Players:
Modern Art: 3-5
For Sale: 3-6

Game time:
Modern Art: 60 minutes
For Sale: 20 minutes

BGG Average Rating:
Modern Art: 7.91 (rank: 23)
For Sale: 7.47 (rank: 130)

Cost:
Modern Art: ~US$20
For Sale: ~US$12

Game Play?
Strategy?
Fun Factor?
Production Value?
Difficulty?

Any recommendations if you had to choose one of the two, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off they are 2 totally different games. Second it depends what your group likes.

For Sale is quick and very easy - good for non-gamers. The game can be taught in 5 minutes easy. Kids can also play this quite well. It's fun, but don't expect a gaming group to want to play this over and over again. It's a very good filler.

Modern Art is more difficult, especially for kids and takes about a game to get used to the bidding. It is advantageous to be able to do mental math in your head. This helps in knowing how not to overbid. It's fun, but not as relaxing as For Sale.

It really boils down to what your group likes to play. If you play with a family and children, I would probably go with For Sale. If you play with people that game quite often, then Modern Art is by far the pick here. The summary below (based on your criteria) might help...

Game Play - They play different. In Modern Art, there are 5 different types of auctions, and a board with artist's value to keep track of which will determine how much money you receive for each painting. For Sale is a simple bidding process for the best property in phase 1, followed by determing (an educated guess) which property to play to get the highest check.
Strategy - More strategy in Modern Art. You have to decide which paintings to auction, how it will affect other players paintings value, and determine what will be a good bid. In For Sale the main strategy comes in bidding in phase 1 (and money can get tight) and then claiming checks in round 2.
Fun Factor - Depends what you mean by fun. If fun is kicking back and relaxing, For Sale might be for you. If you want more strategy and require more thought in a game, then go for Modern Art.
Production Value - I can't talk about the new Modern Art because I have the old version, but I would think it's equal to For Sale. For Sale has cards and chips and they are both of good quality. I don't think they will wear out soon.
Difficulty - Modern Art is not difficult, but by far is tougher to play than For Sale.

Finally I would say read the rules for both - they should be here on the geek. That would probably give you your final answer. They are both good games and different enough to warrant having both. For me personally, I would take Modern Art just because it's more meaty. For Sale is fun, but there is not enough there to keep me interested in the long term. BUT, for a quick, fun, filler with non-gamers, it definitely fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.