GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Power Of The Day - Paladin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PALADIN All/Expert/Optional

Plays Flares For Other Players

Game Set-Up: Take two Flares from the top of the unused Flare deck and place them face down on this power card. You may look at these Flares at any time. These shall be known as Paladin Flares.

You have the power of chivalry. At any time and particular conditions a Paladin Flare specifies, you may use this power to play a Paladin Flare for another player. Play proceeds as if the player had played the Wild effect. He cannot refuse and must abide by it. The player makes all decisions as necessary for the Flare. If his decision would affect you or your game resources in any way, you may force him to change his decision if he can. Players who have special characteristics regarding Flares do not affect use of this power. Use of this power is not affected by any limits on the number of Flares played in an encounter. If a Paladin Flare is to be discarded after use, it goes into your hand instead and you can play it as a regular Flare in another encounter. At the start of the Regroup phase, if you did not use a Paladin Flare in the previous encounter, you may discard any Paladin Flare, but not to the discard pile, and take the top Flares from the unused Flare deck until you have two Paladin Flares. If you have less than two Paladin Flares, do the same but without discarding. A Card Zap can cancel a Paladin Flare when you play it, to be discarded but not in the discard pile. A Cosmic Zap stops the use of this power but Paladin Flares are not discarded.

HISTORY: The gallant Paladins travel the Cosmos in a holy quest to do good. Their hearts and souls pure, they are content with the knowledge that their unselfish acts bring delight upon all they encounter.

FLARE

Alliance
Wild: As an ally, you may show the main player on your side any of your cards. He may use any or all of them for the rest of the encounter. You keep any of your Flares he uses unless the card specifies to be discarded.

Regroup
Super: When getting new Paladin Flares, you may look through the unused Flare deck and select the particular Flares you want.

Commentary: This is a resource power created by me. I created this power for the same reason I created Nerd, to be able to play a Flare when I really, really want to regardless of whether or not I'm a main player or ally. With Paladin, you can play a Flare without even being in the encounter, which is another circumstance I often find myself in because I very much want a particular player to lose the encounter, but his opponent was stubborn and did not invite me to ally to be able to play my Flare.

I created Paladin during Mayfair with its use once and discard Flare rules, making changes for conversion to Fantasy Flight. Under Mayfair, Paladin had only one Paladin Flare, and after use went into his hand available to be played normally. The Paladin Flare was also immune to Flare Zap (Card Zap). The Wild Flare allowed you to play a Kicker as an ally, but Kickers aren't as prevalent in Fantasy Flight. Clone and Filch do affect any Encounter Card used via the Wild Flare. Also, if the beneficiary targeted the Paladin player or his resources, the Paladin player could override his decision and do his own. This was necessary because a player would tend not want to do something for another player if his own resources are at risk. I decided to change it to just forcing the player to make another decision to keep the spirit of the power. The Paladin player does not have to do this if he doesn't particularly mind being affected. Sometimes the Paladin player has no choice, such as if a Flare specifies it affects all players. Note only the play of the Paladin Flare counts as using the power for a Cosmic Zap, not forcing the player to redo his decision when targeting Paladin. This prevents the beneficiary from still being able to use the Flare to target Paladin.

"Special characteristics regarding Flares" references mostly home-made stuff. For example, Darwin does not use it as a power. Paladin can play the Flare for someone opposing Cripple or when Paladin opposes Cripple himself, he can still play a Paladin Flare for another player. Aristocrat is not involved. If Sanity Artifact is played, Paladin can still use his power to play the Flares. I purposely wrote "Players" and not "Other players" to include the Paladin player to ensure no ambiguity in multi-power games with Paladin/Darwin, Paladin/Cripple, Paladin/Aristocrat, or Paladin himself played Sanity, etc.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad!

A few suggestions for the wording:

You might want to say, "remove from the game" instead of "discard, but not to the discard pile."

You might want to call the Paladin Flares something else, so as not to confuse them with the Paladin Flare.

You might want to clarify what happens with the Wild when a Flare says, "Give this card to the owner of the power."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If for some reason Paladin goes through all the flares I still want him to be able to use the power. Highly unlikely scenario, but it's there. Also, I wanted to include the discarded flares when using the Super Flare.

The unused flare deck has flares of powers not used in the game, so no Paladin Flare would go to the owner of the flare's power. Those are the flares that are discarded anyway, so would go to Paladin's regular hand after use.

I suppose "Paladin Flares" could be renamed as Lances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
The unused flare deck has flares of powers not used in the game, so no Paladin Flare would go to the owner of the flare's power. Those are the flares that are discarded anyway, so would go to Paladin's regular hand after use.

D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.