GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,606 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Intial setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am a little confused about the French setup.

In section 6 sub section 6
The minimum number of units that must be initially assigned to each commander is printed next to the commander's name in the Allied Army display; the maximum number eight.

sub section 7
The French player organizes and sets up his army as the Allied player did in the previous step.

sub section 8
The French player may detach up to six units from any of his on-map commanders and re-position them.

Note: a corps can be assigned more units than the capacity of the set-up locale, provided that after detachments the capacity limits are not violated.

For example: In Legrand"s position he has a minimum of three units for setup. I can place eight units (according to sub section six) then detach five and place those in the surrounding locales. Keeping all other corps to strengths listed on the French Army display this would exceed the total number of units listed on the French Army display which is 29 which includes the reinforcements.

Is this correct?

If it is then why not use the maximum number of units per corps provided you do not violate locale capacity?

Thanks in advance for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have enough units to put 8 in many corps. The French have 36 pieces to place on the board. The French have 8 corps to which they must assign those 36 pieces. Each has a minimum of 3 or 4, so that ties up ~30 of the pieces. That means that you might be able to make 2 corps of 8 (not looking at the exact numbers at the moment), but certainly no more than that. The Allies are in approximately the same position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tvaryen wrote:
Keeping all other corps to strengths listed on the French Army display this would exceed the total number of units listed on the French Army display which is 29 which includes the reinforcements.

I don't understand what this means.

29 what? Huh? Exceed?

Could you try to re-explain what you mean with the above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It just dawned on me that the initial armies to be used is listed below the commanders names. That and reading step 5 of section 6. For a second there i was wondering where you got 36 pieces from.

thanks for the help

I hate it when I realize the answer has been staring me right in the face and I don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.