Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Viau
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to eliminate seeing messages about games for sale from certain people who continually post hundreds of games for sale all at extremely inflated prices. I still want to see these games if they come up for sale just not from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewuser&...

This guy is not posting anything for sale. Technically you can buy it from him but I wouldn't call it a sale. Maybe he should have his own storefront here. I don't want to see six new messages a day and joyfully check to see whats for sale only to be dissappointed every time.

Having a bad day!angry

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueDude,

When someone less enlightened buys form him it pays the bills here. You get free Geek. A little annoyance is a small price to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess his wife has told him to sell, and he has priced his games to deter offers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
I guess his wife has told him to sell, and he has priced his games to deter offers?

That's a great strategy. Can I "borrow" that idea?!?
--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. This guy is trying to rip off fellow bgg-ers on some games.

If you examine his list, there are games that are OOP (that is really OOP and unavailable, not going into definition-discussion about OOP here):
1830 (very good) listed for €139.99
Titan (like new) listed for €169.99
(those prices are excluding shipping)
I think they are hugely overpriced (1830 going on ebay for $50-80 and Titan for $80-100 I think), but if somebody is willing to pay that extra to have those games shipped to him immediately, that's OK with me.

But I do have a problem with the highly overpriced items that are easily available. And even worse are examples of games that can only directly being ordered by the publisher:
1860 (new) listed by this guy for €99.99
Revolution: the Dutch revolut (new) listed for €69.99
(those prices are excluding shipping)
From JKLM games you can order 1860 including shipping overseas (from UK to anywhere) for UK37.50 (=€55) and from phalanx webshop you can order Revolution for €64.52 (includes shipping from Europe to anywhere!)

At least I would like to be able to add a comment to items which are easily available for much cheaper prices to save other BGG-ers some money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has to buy these things. There is no law against taking advantage of the stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
No one has to buy these things. There is no law against taking advantage of the stupid.

Hmm, I don't completely agree with you. I guess I have to be a bit carefull with words here, but there is something called "swindle", which is in some way taking advantage of the stupid, and in most countries there are laws against swindle. I'm not saying that this guy is swindling, but when you are trying to sell a brand new game of 1860 for €100, which would be with shipping to USA something like €120, where it is available in the same condition directly from the publisher for less than half the cost, and it is very obvious from the list of games for sale that this person has that the price is intentionally so high, I would consider that "borderline" swindle. Especially because this site, BGG has a good name, and this person is trying to use the good name of BGG to make huge profits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
What if your child was being ripped off: would you laugh at the child because they made a bad choice? Simply tell them to "live and learn"?

Boy, you bet I would.

I tried to warn him that the Lego Knights Kingdom kits were not as cool as he thought. That they were still just lego, too complex for what they were, and fairly lame. He pictured them as some sort of awesome lego/action figure hybrid that were huge. I said they're not that great, you can see in the commercial, they're not that big and kind of flimsy.

But with his $15 in hand, he REALLY wanted two of them. The ads make them look great.

Well, he played with them for maybe 20 minutes.

I said "Spence, what happened to those lego knights?"

He shrugged.

"Bet you would rather you spent $15 on a few toys you know more about, like a bunch of new hot wheels stuff, or some Imaginext, right?"

"Yeah."

"Next time, you'll listen to Daddy, right?"

He shrugged.

I haven't seen them since.

But when he had his birthday money, he asked Daddy to choose what video games he got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hughes
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related note, for some reason I keep getting 'game for sale' notices on games that used to be on my wishlist, but which I have now removed, and are merely on my 'want list'. Its a bit tedious having to delete these things from both my regular email and my geekmail.

Does anyone know why this is? I don't think for most of these games I ever even marked the 'notifiy of new sales and auctions' button, I just started getting the emails when I added them to my wishlist, and they haven't stopped, even though yesterday I purged them from the wish list. Is there a time-delay on this kind of thing? Would changing the want priority on them help?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may not be a law against taking advantage of the stupid, but it may still be immoral. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDReilly wrote:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Then go ahead. List things this guy wants for outrageous prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would be to allow a maximum value below which you would like to be notified of new content. Then you could ask for new content without being inundated with silly (to you) offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just don't understand these complaints.

It's a pretty basic principle in any marketplace that sellers can decide the price they want to sell their goods for, and prospective buyers can either (a) choose to buy or not buy at that price, or (b) make a counter-offer. It's no one else's decision.

I've looked at this guy's profile, and although some of his games seem over-priced to me personally, there are many others in his list that are at least competitive with what you'll find from other suppliers. He has had at least 46 successful sales, so I don't think he can be doing everything wrong! By selling his games here, he helps to financially support boardgamegeek, so I think his participation is a net-positive for all of us, whether we buy his games or not. I'd be disappointed if these negative comments drive him away.

Also, it's silly to suggest that he's not offering games for sale, simply because his prices are not what you'd consider a sale price (ie: at a discount that you consider a good bargain). As far as I know, there's no requirement for BGG marketplace sellers to price their goods at a discount. If you want such a requirement, you should probably take it up with Aldie or Derk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Another option would be to allow a maximum value below which you would like to be notified of new content. Then you could ask for new content without being inundated with silly (to you) offers.

You da man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I just added a copy of 1860 for sale at €45 (not really, because I'm not going to sell my copy) with a note in the description that it can be ordered for that price at the publisher's website. This way, the other guy who is selling it for €99.99 will never sell his item. This won't hurt him probably, because he will only order a copy of this game for €45 and then resell it for €99.99 if some fool tries to buy it from him, but it will save other people a lot of €€€$$$.

(I'm not quite sure if my own action is moral here, should I withdraw my offer? I don't have it for sale, so it's not a real item I'm offering)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased some games from this guy. If you like, you could say that I was tricked (in terms of prices), but he also sells some games I would not find anywhere else without trouble (such as New games in old Rome) and I was happy to pay a little extra to get it easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank da man
Thailand
Chumpohn
Chumpohn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to get rid of annoying geeks ?
looks like someone is on a personal vendetta here angry shake

it´s annoying enough, that i repeatedly had "the honor", receiving mor or less insulting mails from mr. craig viau, but to see his crusade carried now into public, is pityful shake

this story has some history and just for the record :
in late february he offered me a trade for roads & boats, wich was almost an insult. i sent him a polite answer, where i explained, why this can´t work in the way, he had in mind and mailed him a list of games, i was interested in at that time. no answer at all (wich i absolutely hate, because a simple "no, i am not interested anymore" would be a much nicer and more polite way to end) shake
looks like he was really pissed of then, because on march 21th he wrote me again and explained his anger about me relisting roads & boats every couple of days, wich simply wasn´t true (that was sort of a bug : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...) for the most part of the time frame and i told him also, that i relist it of course, if it´s sold and i have one or two more of these boxes in my hands. at least this time he answered in a proper way after 9 days, even though i would assume now, that he probably needed this time for the cooling down process.
yeah, and today i received the next mail from him, filled with fresh anger and again in an insultine tone angry
and here we are now, in the forum. welcome guys to the world of mr. craig viau...

by the way, for the most part of my offers at marketplace, i am one of the cheaper sellers, if not even THE cheapest in a lot of cases, but if you pick out the games, my heart is still at (my *precious*...), that´s another story of course and i feel, that i would like to sell them only, if my pocket is significant better filled afterwards and i even need this from time to time, to buy new games. can´t see something wrong with that surprise but to say, that he receives mails almost everyday, because of my 1830 or titan, is simply nonsense, because i have obviously not touched these "precious offers" within months.

mr. craig viau
first, you probably should clean your glasses and check, why you have received an automated mail from boardgamegeek and you should see from the freshest date of entry, who is "to blame" and this simply can´t always be me.
second, if a game is sold, there is always a chance, that it will be relisted and that could be me or any other seller, but stop using a magnifying glass for me and my sales only, because you don´t like me for whatever reason. please look at other sellers too and i do mean *sellers*, professional dealers, who do not contribute anything to boardgamegeek, with the exception of selling something of course. maybe you should direct your anger and frustration about still not owning a roads & boats box into that direction ? why don´t you write something about or write something to "mr. nice price guy 250 $ roads & boats" or "mr. titanic 10.000 $ titan" ? why it has to be always me ? is it really simple jealousy, that i own something, you´ve wanted at one point and that i wasn´t willing to give away as a present to king viau ??? man, this is so pityful ! shake

so guys, please don´t let yourself fool from a user, who seems a bit unstable, at least from my perspective...

by the way, is there any way, to block a user from my account ? meaning : that i do not wish, to see any further messages from this person in my mailbox ? usually i am not like this, but enough is enough and that would be a welcome option right now gulp

frank

p.s. sorry for my bad english, but hopefully it was good enough, to explain the situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank da man
Thailand
Chumpohn
Chumpohn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@stephen
that´s damn close to the truth

@michael
you can do that, but you have to transfer me at least 133339,99 for the copyrights

@bas
i am not that sure, if it´s such a good advice, to order directly from jklm, because it is simply not available there, even the website says so and i know some guys, who paid and even months later, they never received any games from them aver and there were even some not so happy discusions in some german forums. here is the link to one of them (in german of course) :
http://www.spielbox.de/phorum4/read.php4?f=1&i=109578&t=1095...
however, to receive even one box from someone, i had to pay truckload of money myself and if selling it again, i need my 10%, especially accounting in, that aldi & derk get 3 %, wich leaves me with 7%, but they simply deserve that, so it´s o.k.
about revolution : sorry, that i want to earn 7% (3% go to aldi & derk), if selling it, but i am still the cheapest seller for this game. can´t see anything wrong here.
one more thing, for my taste you jump all to easy on mr. viau´s train, without even considering the other side of the story surprise shake i can only guess, what´s the reason for this, but could it probably be the typical "extra german-bashing", that occurs sometimes, when people from netherlands have the feeling, that their greedy, big and fat neighbours do bad things again, wich are surprisingly not that bad, if people from other nations do the same ? if i am wrong, i am very sorry for saying so, but if i am right with my poor man´s freud analysis, let yourself say, that i am greedy, big and fat indeed (at least my wife says so ), but i am really not the typical german in any way. even my anchestors weren´t, because my grandfather had to spend most part of ww2 in prison (in a german prison and not, because he was a criminal...) and to be honest, i don´t like my country that much also, with the exception of boardgames, beer, wurst and gummibaerchen (the gourmet´s know, what this is) of course and i will move to asia within the next couple of years, because i feel somehow wrong here, but please do not let your prejudice about germans overshadow the facts in this case and the facts are, that mr. viau seems to be an annoying person, who is not capable, overcoming his frusttrations about a not happened roads & boats trade.
so, you can do what you want with your 1860 sale of course and that doesn´t bother me in any way, but be prepared for the anger of the possible buyers, if they can´t buy this game from you and later will not receive their game from jklm either at a high chance, even if they paid for it. and please feel free to check my sales list, to add even more fake sales, if you like to. this would at least help me, not selling some of my precious games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
ejamer wrote:
What if your child was being ripped off: would you laugh at the child because they made a bad choice? Simply tell them to "live and learn"?

Boy, you bet I would.

You are an excellent parent. I salute you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
buergerberatung wrote:

@michael
you can do that, but you have to transfer me at least 133339,99 for the copyrights

hmm... that royalty payment seems a little inflated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
quozl wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
ejamer wrote:

Boy, you bet I would.

You are an excellent parent. I salute you!

To quote someone far more intelligent than myself, whose name I forget.

Good judgment results from experience. The best experiences result from bad judgment.

My wife and I took a "Love and Logic" class which pretty much taught to let the kids screw up as much as possible when they're young and the consequences are minimal so they can learn from those mistakes before they get old and the consequences are much greater. Although I never really thought of it that way before the class, it makes perfect sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
RDReilly wrote:

As you would have them do unto you, not as they do unto you. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
RDReilly wrote:

As you would have them do unto you, not as they do unto you. meeple

In that case, make him happy and buy the stuff, as you wish he would buy yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
What if your child was being ripped off: would you laugh at the child because they made a bad choice? Simply tell them to "live and learn"? Or be upset at the person who took advantage of their obvious lack of experience?

Perhaps a little off the subject, but I noticed a few responses to the above statement. FWIW, there's a video available out there (somewhere) - I got it from my local library and can't for the life of me remember the title. Anyway, it was a video for children about how commercials are made, what they do to make the product look so *AWESOME*, how they push kid's buttons, etc, and then revealed what the product was really like. It was great for my kids and now they just shake their heads at some of the commercials we see.

As for "live and learn?" I'm all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Viau
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can ask all my friends. I am completely insane. When I'm let out on weekends I do nothing but post crank messages to Frank.

Bottom line is I'm just really annoyed at all the messages from BGG that I have to open only to see this guys stuff listed. I would like him to conduct business elsewhere.

On the other hand I'm sure that my attitude seems overboard since to be honest he is perfectly entitled to list the games here at any price. Obviously the marketplace was intended for just that purpose. He is welcome to list as many games at whatever prices he wants.

However, by the same token we are all free to make as many low low offers as we please.

It's not so much his price that bothers me its my time. It almost seems like spam to me.

As for his comments

1) I did make one of those low offers. He did send me a list of about 10 games he would take in exchange for Roads and Boats. They were worth about 300-400 dollars. I did in fact respond to this and politely declined.

2) I did send him an email in regards to Roads and Boats showing up every day. He explained to me that it was a glitch and I promptly appologized.

3) As for todays e-mail

What I said as close as I can recall was:

Are your games a deal in Germany NO

Are they a deal in the US NO

Why are you wasting our time posting these games

Please refrain from posting any more games.

Sure I was annoyed and I let him know it in no uncertain terms. I do indeed feel a little sheepish and somewhat regret it, but boy it felt good at the time.

As for number 4) yes, here we are. I see I'm not the only one who is annoyed with this guy and if someone could answer my question I'd like to be rid of this guy. I'm sure he wants to be rid of me as well. Which is just fine. No skin off my nose.

As for any vendetta's no chance of that. I didn't even realize it was the same guy who I was getting all the Roads and Boats messages from when I sent him todays message. I don't have time to keep track of that kind of thing. But I do have time to let off some steam once in a while. My BAD. I'll get myself checked back into the institution in the morning.

P.S.

I'm sure I'll get some nasty messages back and I'm sure I'll regret this post as well but at the moment what I'm saying seems reasonable.

P.S.S For the most part we have a great community here Frank and hopefully myself included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.