GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A new dawn breaks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Newbie, potential wargamer here. Cut my teeth on Fast Attack Boats, figured I could step it up with V&V. It took me a few days to get through the rules, but I felt I could finally start with the basics tonight.

I brought out Hedgerow Hell and recruited my roommate into playing it with me. Sadly, he is more of a poker player than a wargamer, but he was a "trooper" and stuck through it. We played without any support weapons, smoke, grenades or snipers; just troops and foxholes. He was the American side, I the German.

It took us many thread-stretching, rule-checking turns to get through the game, but in the end the Americans failed to break through the German foxholes stationed on the road. Near the end my Germans advanced out of their foxholes to engage the enemy as they snuck around the gameboard edge in an attempt to breakthrough to the south roadway, but it was too late for the American side...mwahaha.

Initial thoughts: I still don't like rolling dice to resolve combat, but I guess there's no easy way around that in wargames. :/ Still, once I decided to accept that and I got into a rhythm, it was enjoyable! The best parts were planning your advances and stretching the thread to check for LOS, as that gave me the best chance to analyze and construct a game plan. The bad parts were the arbitrary feeling of the dice, and...well, not much else, really. The combat resolution feels a little unnatural to me, as I'm used to straight hit point reduction ala Dungeons and Dragons, and it feels weird to have the defender decide how the damage will be dispensed among stacked units.

I'm looking forward to dragging my roomie into more battles and getting a better handle on the game; will rate it once I feel comfortable with the rules. A favorable first play, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

The dice in the long run ensure that you don't hit so often as you would like, but once in twenty or forty rolls, when you hit'em on a natural 2, a sense of a "heroic feat of that brave squad" arises

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel too harshly about the dice, I tend to think they are required to give you those heroic moments.

After all if you were diceless you couldn't easily replicate events such as successfully running through machine gun fire ( which really happens ) or one man pinning down whole companies. Roll with it and stack your units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harmonicaman79 wrote:
Initial thoughts: I still don't like rolling dice to resolve combat, but I guess there's no easy way around that in wargames.

Well, there are a few wargames which don't use dice; I'm not sure I would recommend it as a first wargame, but Napoleon's Triumph is a really neat game which doesn't use any random elements at all. (Although it has fewer pages of rules than V&V, some people find it tough to understand, partly because it's so different from other wargames. But if you're new to wargames, then maybe you would have an easier time with it than some people? The rules are online if you want to check them out, and Simmons Games' web site has a nice little introduction to the game.)

Another wargame which doesn't exactly use dice is Combat Commander: Europe. (To resolve an attack, you flip a card which has dice printed on it, though, so maybe that's still too "dicey" for you.)

harmonicaman79 wrote:
The bad parts were the arbitrary feeling of the dice

Shhhh, don't let the dice hear you!!

The great thing about dice are, when you win, it's because of your superior ability to conceive & execute a plan which will survive contact with the enemy; when you lose, anyone can see it's because of the dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Christopher!

If you have even a passing interest in history, wargames can become very addictive. I know, because I've been fighting (pun intended -- boo) that addiction since I was a young grog, several decades ago...

I think Chainmail is also a diceless system, and I've been tempted to pick it up. Other than WWII, I pretty much only have an interest in Rev War and Medieval, and Chainmail looks cool to me.

-B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
Welcome aboard, Christopher!

If you have even a passing interest in history, wargames can become very addictive. I know, because I've been fighting (pun intended -- boo) that addiction since I was a young grog, several decades ago...

I think Chainmail is also a diceless system, and I've been tempted to pick it up. Other than WWII, I pretty much only have an interest in Rev War and Medieval, and Chainmail looks cool to me.
-B

Chainmail is dice-less. Everything revolves around the strength of the units attacking and how many cards (and what value) you wish to commit to the battle. You can all but guarantee a win by putting in a lot of cards, but that leaves you defenseless against a well stocked opponent.
Lots of decision points in Chainmail. I played my first face to face game two weeks ago and I am really looking forward to the next match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The combat resolution feels a little unnatural to me, as I'm used to straight hit point reduction ala Dungeons and Dragons,..."

Don't you have to roll to hit in D&D anymore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And roll the amount of damage, for that matter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Randall, sorry, I meant that the idea of a successful die roll "pinning" a unit was a change for me, since I'm used to D&D, where if you hit, you (normally, usually, in my experience, am not an advanced player) deal lasting damage. This is not a criticism of V&V, by the way.

Thanks for the comments and warm welcome. As a community, you guys are pretty excellent, I must say; especially with constructive support and generating scenarios. :) I'll look into those games and systems. Happy wargaming, people. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Walker
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Barry, sounds like wargaming then is truly a great and worthwhile experience, since you've enjoyed it "since [being] a young grog". Thanks for helping introduce the genre to me (and hooking me) with this game. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.