GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,573 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Liberté» Forums » Variants

Subject: A & B decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not proposing a variant, but I am wondering if the biased A & B decks (A leaning towards blue and B learning towards red) are "necessary". I realize once both decks are used up then the decks are combined, but why not have them combined from the start?

Without further experience, I am guessing the flow of the game with the two separate decks will feel the same from game to game: lots of blue stacks come out in the first half of the game and then red takes over in the second. What would be the "problem" (if there is something broken without using the A & B decks) with a completely random unified deck?

My only thought is to prevent a possible red smackdown across the board in round 1 if lots of red cards came out early . . . but if preventing this is the only reason to have the two biased decks - I think I'd prefer to take that chance and have one random deck instead of having the game go through the similar ebb and flow each time.

More plays might change my mind about all of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ordering of the cards is meant to represent some historical situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Beyond the history, players know going into the game that blue Moderates are favored and can play accordingly. If it were all mixed up, players would be hesitant to commit to a cause early without knowing where things stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Beyond the history, players know going into the game that blue Moderates are favored and can play accordingly. If it were all mixed up, players would be hesitant to commit to a cause early without knowing where things stand.

Yup, and this is a game where every bit of certainty helps. Additionally the later remixing comes with the players having some idea often of the cards that are not going to be in the new deck (mainly how many royalists folks may be hording for the impending counter revolution). Understanding this dynamic of the deck is paramount to good play.

Edit: I should add that in addition to many plays in the past, I've played this game 5-6 times in the last couple of months and have never felt that we were just "going through the motions." Though there is a great deal of blue in the first deck, there's also a fair amount of white, and I generally its a good contest between the two. It often depends on which side begins infighting first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.