GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spy forces all / none or individually chosen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played Spy as everyone reveals and you decide to keep or discard on an individual basis.
Example:
I do spy, draw a card, +1 action, reveal an estate.
players 2 reveals gold, player 3 reveals estate, and player 4 reveals estate

Can I discard my estate and player 2's gold and make players 3 and 4 keep their estate?

Yesterday a player said he figured it to be we all discard or we all keep.
Which is true?

Another thing that I've already read on other forums, the +action cards, you can play them at any time as long as it's before the buying stage? (I only have base game) We've always played as must do it then and there.


Example:
Village, Smithy and even though I have another village, I could wait till after I draw 4 cards then still have 1 action left?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's individual. So keep some, discard some, however you see fit.

Yes, you can Village, Smithy, draw your cards to see what you have, then play the other Village (or any other card that you drew) with the 2nd action you have left over. You fulfill as much of the card as possible with the +whatever taking effect during that phase of the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You resolve the Spy one at a time in turn order. You can choose "discard" or "put back" individually for each person.

"+2 Actions" means you can play 2 more Actions this turn. You must fully resolve each card before playing the next one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themaster408 wrote:
I always played Spy as everyone reveals and you decide to keep or discard on an individual basis.
Example:
I do spy, draw a card, +1 action, reveal an estate.
players 2 reveals gold, player 3 reveals estate, and player 4 reveals estate

Can I discard my estate and player 2's gold and make players 3 and 4 keep their estate?
This is correct. The person playing spy makes decisions for each individual revealed card.
themaster408 wrote:

Yesterday a player said he figured it to be we all discard or we all keep.
This is incorrect.
themaster408 wrote:
Another thing that I've already read on other forums, the +action cards, you can play them at any time as long as it's before the buying stage? (I only have base game) We've always played as must do it then and there.
Example:
Village, Smithy and even though I have another village, I could wait till after I draw 4 cards then still have 1 action left?
Additional actions are as you have read on other forums, and not as you have played. The village/smithy combo would be played by playing the village, draw a card, then playing the smithy. You will have one action remaining, but it does not get used until after you draw the 3 cards for the smithy. +actions do not get played immediately before the next card's effects occur.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To put it another way, you play each card (in full) and then assess what you are allowed and want to play next.

- Start of turn: I have 5 cards and 1 Action.
- Play Spy (use 1 action) : draw card; get +Action; do revealing stuff.
- Now I have 5 cards and 1 Action (Spy used 1 and gave me 1).
- Play Village : draw card; get +2 Actions.
- Now I have 5 cards and 2 Actions (Village used 1 and gave me 2).
- Play Smithy : draw 3 cards.
- Now I have 7 cards and 1 Action (Smithy used 1).
... I can choose to play any Action card from the 7 in my hand (if I have one) or move on to my Buy phase.

I hope that helps.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
When this question comes up, very often a lot of people just repeat the "you have to complete the entire card before you can play the next". However that explanation only explains how it works if you're also familiar with the fact that actions are like a pool of how many actions you're allowed to take; +1 Action doesn't mean "play another action if you can", it means "you may play one more action this turn than you otherwise would".

The people clarifying by saying that you have to do the entire card first know this of course, but the people they're clarifying for don't always, and that's their problem. With the outlook that +1 Action means "play another action now" a lot of cards would have a very different effect. Any card giving +2 actions and then does something else (shanty town, mining village) would work differently for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilzeman wrote:
When this question comes up, very often a lot of people just repeat the "you have to complete the entire card before you can play the next". However that explanation only explains how it works if you're also familiar with the fact that actions are like a pool of how many actions you're allowed to take; +1 Action doesn't mean "play another action if you can", it means "you may play one more action this turn than you otherwise would".


I usually explain it as you add 1 to your Action pool. New players seem to grok the concept of an Action pool and a Buy pool which are depleted as the player takes advantage of his actions and buys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sprang
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
To clarify the "resolve all actions before beginning another", in the above example:

Quote:
To put it another way, you play each card (in full) and then assess what you are allowed and want to play next.

- Start of turn: I have 5 cards and 1 Action.
- Play Spy (use 1 action) : draw card; get +Action; do revealing stuff.
- Now I have 5 cards and 1 Action (Spy used 1 and gave me 1).
- Play Village : draw card; get +2 Actions.
- Now I have 5 cards and 2 Actions (Village used 1 and gave me 2).
- Play Smithy : draw 3 cards.
- Now I have 7 cards and 1 Action (Smithy used 1).
... I can choose to play any Action card from the 7 in my hand (if I have one) or move on to my Buy phase.


You may NOT:
- play Spy, draw card, each player reveals their top card
- play Village, draw card (Smithy)
- play Smithy, draw three cards
- THEN choose what the other players discard or keep from the Spy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.