GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,283 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
I could use your help on this question. I just bought Swarm of the Marrow because it was only $35, and wanted to try Heroscape. From what i have read ROTV is the best of the master sets with the most terrain and figures, however its is hard/expensive to get a hold of. I am going to be playing with my Dad and we are excited to build custom scenarios using the terrain. Is the SOTM good enough to get into Heroscape and get the full feel or do i really need to purchase another Master Set like ROTV to get enough terrain and units to have a really fun game with my dad. I guess I am hoping the SOTM will be enough to get a really good feel for the game to see if we like it before I decide to invest in ROTV or another expansion.

Thanks for your insight in advance.
Troy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No & Yes

No, because you have enough to play quite a few scenarios and then make your own.

Yes, because when you start having fun you'll want to get more, try different figures, scenery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have enough to get a feel for the game as to whether you'll like it or not. If you do, God help you and your father's bank accounts.

If you don't want to spend more money on the cost of another master set, then one suggestion if you feel what you have now just isn't quite enough in terms of units or terrain is to either pick up a few extra items via ebay or here:

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/auggiesgames/Categories...

Then you can get just a few more terrain tiles if you think a couple more of a certain type of hex piece will let you build a better map. Even more important is having enough multiples of your "common" squads when you're fighting an army vs army match: This is where each force lines up on opposite sides of a map and goes at it. This is how most tournaments are played. It's amazing how much more effective an army becomes when fighting with three or four squads of Marro Stingers, Nagrubs, and Drudges instead of just the two squads that come with the base set.

You can go here for more map and scenario ideas:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a few times and find that you really like it, a second set of SotM isn't a bad idea. That will help with terrain, and 4 squads of the commons work well. You can still pick up SotM at CoolStuffInc for $27.99, and they have the Underdark master sets for $21.99 and the Fortress of the Archkyrie at $12.99, so both of those add new terrain types. Lots of other figures available there too, and you get free shipping for a $100 purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great information so far thanks all, and really helpful. Thanks Sphere for giving me some ideas on on other things to buy and where i have been looking around for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You always need moar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
See Scape, buy Scape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the Wave 1 expansion first then Underdark set next.
After that waves 10-13 are still widely available.

I would save the Fortress until you were really sure you like the game. It is okay but it is a very specialized piece of terrain.

www.housemousegames.com shows all the different sets and has many available for purchase. They are not the cheapest but Sandra has excellent customer service.

P.S. ROTV is well worth it if you can find it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain may be different color, but it works basically the same way as the basic terrain in RotV. There have been hundreds of figures made over the years for this game, so if you want more, now's the time. They aren't getting any more available. But, you don't need it all (I can't believe I said that!) One set of RotV would be a very nice addition, and improve the quality of your Heroscape play tremendously. Then, perhaps pick up a few other waves you really like. Then, you should be all set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i decided to just take the plunge and purchase ROTV which i found on Amazon for $85 which seemed like a good deal by the time i buy other expansions (which it seems are not as good as this master set) and try and get more terrain through different channels. I figure if i don't like the game there seems like a lot of demand out there that i can sell it and get my money back, however it seems like i won't be doing that anytime soon. Swarm of the Marrow arrives today so i am excited to dig into that in the meantime while i wait for used copy of ROTV. My dad and i are excited to build some cool battelfields and i am excited to see how the different army's match up. I have been playing Memoir 44 with my dad but it seems he gets a bit frustrated having to wait for the right card plus he used to a play miniatures back in the day so this seems like he will like it a lot. If anyone has any other thoughts i welcome the feedback. Especially if anyone as any thoughts around Memoir 44 versus Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To qoute Mortal Kombat

"IT HAS BEGUN"

The journey will never stop now.

By the way....you will eventually need a room just for your 'Scape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahah, I have a wife thankfully that will probably keep me in check. oh and we live in a 1 bedroom apartment but well see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So two nights ago a friend and I played our first game of heroscape and I have to say it was really fun! Now i am very happy that I have ROTV on the way because i could definitely see having some more characters and terrain would help a lot. We play two games both were close but the second was a battle to the bitter end with my Marro Hive having to keep cranking out guys to keep me barely alive to pull out the victory.

Thanks again for all the great feedback I think Heroscape will be in my collection for a longtime and hopefully in the future I will be playing with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.