GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dominant Species: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Expected Play Time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that DS was a 3 hour + game what is the anticipated play time for the card game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmb
60-90 minutes according to GMT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
It took us about 1 hour, 20 minutes to play a 5-player game this past Friday night.

We've played 2-3 players in as little as 40 minutes. 5-6 players is about 90 minutes, but *could* take upwards of 2 hours if you have several slow players.

Each player will see about 30 cards throughout the game, and you generally want to play them all. Each card is an action. Take no more than 30 seconds to decide on your action on you can figure on about 15 minutes maximum per player per game -- add a minute for setup and for scoring/cleanup in between each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gage
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mb
I would think that as players get more experienced with the game the play time would go down a bit as well. The Friday night game's time was probably a little longer than it would have been if 3 of the players weren't absorbing the final version of the game.

On a side note I'll admit that this session snapped my unbroken winning streak with this game. Chad added a little new final scoring rule that put me in second place after the final accounting. He mentioned the change early in the game but I entirely forgot about it. My glorious last hand come from behind stratagem came to naught. The last hand in the DS card game can be worth a bundle of points...but if you really want to win you'd best remember all the rules, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the best thing about being the designer. Just change the rules if you're on a losing streak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.