GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,916 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Did you ever have someone put your game away? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, if this has happened to anyone else. Not destroyed, not thrown out or damaged in anyway just dumped all game pieces, maps, charts, dice, etc back in game box and put away.

Here's my story as example:

Back in the day, I had gotten Squad Leader shortly after it came out (still have btw). Our quaters were small and I had set up a 3 map scenario on a folding card table. Played a couple of turns and left it set up. Go to PT formation next day, was still there when I left. After my duty day was over and have been mulling over my next actions to let loose the dogs of war on the game board, Horror of Horrors!!

The beautifully, orchastrated field of battle was no more. Gone were the Germans trying to take the streets. Vanished were the Russians fighting for their homeland. Tanks vaporized into nothingness. The streets, buildings, woods, shell holes, all the terrain removed. Mortars, atillery, support weapons disappeared without a trace....

Not only that, the pillars that held up the magnificient plateau upon which the bloody, smokey field of battle was no where to be seen...

What foul, dispicable beast of torture and torment could have done such an evil thing....What manner of creature could do such a thing??

I hear as if through a fog of despair and shock...

"Hi Honey. How was your day?" The beast reveals itself. "I put that game up. All the stuff back in the box over there. The kids needed the card table. Hope you don't mind."

The Wife!!

I tell you here and now I got the last word in by golly!!

Sigh.."No dear, I don't mind." Hugged and kissed her. I went to the "reading room" and sobbed silently....

Next day I bought a new folding table....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago my wife was prepping the house for something or other, and asked me if I'd move my in-progress game of War and Peace from the end of the table. I carefully walked it into the bedroom and slid it under the edge of the bed, without badly dislodging any counters. It was out out of sight, but not quite out of reach of the vacuum cleaner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
but not quite out of reach of the vacuum cleaner...

That actually made my heart skip a beat!
Were you able to get the bits back??
What shape were they in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
What shape were they in?

I got them back - sifting through a nearly full bag of dirt wasn't a lot of fun though. Some made it through with relatively little damage, but several got trashed by the rotating beater bar. Eventually I picked up a second copy on ebay so I would have a full set of non-mangled counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I got them back - sifting through a nearly full bag of dirt wasn't a lot of fun though.

A lot of that wasn't dirt. Try human skin and hair. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yummy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

You work for Kirby, right? Free toaster oven if I invite you in for the full demo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
casualgod wrote:

You work for Kirby, right? Free toaster oven if I invite you in for the full demo?

Hell no. I dont even own a vacuum cleaner. My house is all hard wood floors and tiles.

Sadly, I also have 2 pets (4 if you count the snakes) and so I end up having to dust a lot. At least 5 minutes a day and then a more thorough dustng on the weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
pepperhead wrote:
What shape were they in?

I got them back - sifting through a nearly full bag of dirt wasn't a lot of fun though. Some made it through with relatively little damage, but several got trashed by the rotating beater bar. Eventually I picked up a second copy on ebay so I would have a full set of non-mangled counters.

It sounds like you were dyson with death there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky to live in a house where people respect my maps and counters, though reminders are sometimes necessary.

Even the cat doesn't play with my counters anymore - or if she does, she always replaces them exactly the way they were before she played with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story and I'm glad it ended the way it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Nice story and I'm glad it ended the way it did.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no not really, but a few years back the wife told me no more heroscape boards in the Kitchen, so that is when I moved my game to a house we take care of for a friend and I got my Man Cave and I am very very Happy there! He sold that a few years back and I moved my man cave behind our gift shop - so when it is game night I am not even in the house and that works out great for both of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.