GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,656 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Iwo Jima: Rage Against the Marines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Resetting Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hindman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
At the beginning of the game all units are shown as not fired. When a unit fires they are turned 90 degrees to be shown as fired. During the US movement phase a Japanese unit may use defensive fire against the one moving US unit and then is turned to its' "fired" side.....however when the Japanese start their phases they re-set their fired units back to normal. That's fine, but remember a unit can only fire once per turn. I will turn that unit back to normal, but mark it that it can move, but not assault later in the turn, and be available for the next game turn. Anyone else see this little wrinkle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is right. On turn 1 I play it that the Japanese unit could fire defensivily during the US turn, then reset and fire again on the Japanese turn...BUT having done that, would not be able to fire defensivily on the US portion of turn 2 as it would not yet have been reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hindman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Mike that was an option I looked at too, but that unit would be firing twice in Turn 1. One defensive fire and one assault.The rules state that you can fire once per turn not per phase, and can be by bombardment, defensive fire, or assault. Keep in mind a turn consists of US phases, and Japanese phases. You could have the same situation in later turns where a Japanese unit uses defensive fire during the US movement phase, resets and assaults in their phase....again firing twice in the same turn. Maybe house rules work here!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be making it tougher on the Marines than I need to, and it is plenty tough, but I kinda like my understanding. Though I understand your point and can see that a "Japanese units firing defensivily during the US movment phase may not fire again in the Japanese assualt phase of that same turn" rule would be perfectly appropiate.

Have you asked on CSW? Adam Starkweather seems pretty good about answering questions on that site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good?

I'm hurt.

I miss them here sometimes for sure but you can always geekmail me if I don't see it.

Anyway, to the question, I honestly don't think I'm following the question.
Doesn't sound right as there isn't a trick here or anything...

But perhaps rephrase it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh please, don't be hurt. I was modifying my post only so as not to be volunteering you for work. The game, and support, are awesome.

OK, rephrasing the question. Under 3 - General Concepts, Unit Facing, it says "Each unit can only fire once per turn, which can be either bombardment, defensive fire or assault"

But the turn sequence seems to allow for:
US Movement triggers Japanese defensive fire
Japanese Reset Phase "All Japanese units currently turned sideways are returned to their upright facing"
Then Japanese Bombardment or Assault phases - could fire again in the same turn.

Note that the converse does not hold. During the Japanese movement phase they could trigger defensive fire from a US unit, but the US unit resets on the next turn. A consequence of the US always going first in a given turn. Note also that a US unit that fires on the US Bombardment or Asault phases, can NOT fire defensivily that same turn as there is no intervening reset phase.

So, the question really boils down to, "Can the Japanese reset a unit that has already fired defesnivily in that turn"? I've been playing yes, but I see why the question comes up.

(Note also that a Japanese unit that fires bombardment or assault, can NOT fire defensivily in the next turn's US movement phase, which is congruent with the US side. I've been assuming the asymetirc effect of the turn sequence was deliberate, but it contradicts the Unit Facing rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - you are allowed one shot between friendly reset phases...it doesn't matter when...so once per "turn" is more nomenclature I guess...

Sometimes the shots could be "close" together...but you'll have to wait a long time till the reset comes around again.

Since the Japanese reset comes at the very start of the Japanese player turn, I don't see how you could fire twice in a Japanese player turn. You'd have to wait till the next Japanese player turn to reset and be able to fire again. You could fire in the US player turn (if you didn't fire in the preceding Japanese player turn), reset, and fire again in the ensuing Japanese player turn....but would have to wait until the next Japanese player turn to fire again.

Does that make sense regarding your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"You could fire in the US player turn (if you didn't fire in the preceding Japanese player turn), reset, and fire again in the ensuing Japanese player turn....but would have to wait until the next Japanese player turn to fire again."

That is how I was playing it, but you can see Peter's confusion. "Turn" means the US and then Japanese halves of a turn, and with the Japanese resetting in the middle of a "game turn" it is possible for them to fire during US Movement, reset, and then fire again in the Japanese half of the same game turn.

Better to just strictly follow the sequence of play and ignore the last sentance in the Facing rule.

Units should neer miss an opportunity to fire or reset, and don't worry about the game turn...

Thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hindman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Adam thanks for cleaning this up. I too will follow Mikes idea and follow the sequence of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.