GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: BGG CON 2011 - Help for first time attendee from Argentina rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Costa
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I have already registered to BGG 2011 and I'm really looking forward to attend, the thing is that due to the argentinian currency exchange rate is extremely expensive for anyone with a moderate income (like me) to travel to USA. So, I'm asking for suggestions on the cheaper (and I mean cheaper) way to get a room over there and I will start looking over here the cheaper way to fly over there.
I never do things this way, but this time I went for it and registered even if it means that later I will have to resign to the registration and ask for a refund.

I will appreciate any suggestions and apologize for my english.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a poor college student I attended a lot of science fiction conventions, and the primary ways to save money were:

(1) Share a room with a lot of people. 4 people sharing 2 beds and 2 or 3 people in sleeping bags on the floor really cuts down on the cost of the hotel bill. (You may not want to go that far, but the first SF convention I went to, we had 14 people in one room, and 5 or 6 was common.)

(2) Don't eat restaurant meals. Bring (or buy locally) food that doesn't need refrigeration, like bread, peanut butter, fruit, carrots, granola, instant oatmeal (porridge), etc., and eat most of your meals in the room. If your room has a mini-fridge you can add milk, cheese, yogurt, salad, cold cuts, etc. (If the hotel offers a breakfast buffet, that's often the best value for your money you'll find all day.)

You're on your own for the plane fare. Make sure to come in to the big airport (DFW) and not the small one (Love Field) to get a free hotel shuttle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

(2) Don't eat restaurant meals. Bring (or buy locally) food that doesn't need refrigeration, like bread, peanut butter, fruit, carrots, granola, instant oatmeal (porridge), etc., and eat most of your meals in the room. If your room has a mini-fridge you can add milk, cheese, yogurt, salad, cold cuts, etc. (If the hotel offers a breakfast buffet, that's often the best value for your money you'll find all day.)

This X1000. Try to limit yourself to "eating out" once per day: either make your own breakfast or use the hotel's contintental offering, and make your own lunch. You can easily save $20 per day that way. Also, resist the urge to buy $4 sodas and over-priced snacks between meals: just buy a big bag of trail mix or generic energy bars at the grocery store and eat those instead.

Also, check the various "couch-surfing" websites and see if you can find a local person who's willing to let you crash on their couch for a nominal fee. Might not be optimal as the Con isn't downtown so you'd still need to find a way to get there and back each day, but it's something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
If your room has a mini-fridge you can add milk, cheese, yogurt, salad, cold cuts, etc. (If the hotel offers a breakfast buffet, that's often the best value for your money you'll find all day.)

My room did not have a mini fridge last year - I was super surprised, that's the first time in a long time that I stayed at a hotel that didn't (we stayed at the DFW Westin)

My wife and I managed to take advantage of the shuttle to Walmart, picked up some tomatoes and a small jar of mayo which we kept cold in the ice bucket(!) to make tomato sandwiches for several meals "on the cheap." Had to buy a knife to cut the tomatoes, but we also picked up a nice pecan pie which lasted for the duration too. I don't remember how much we spent, but it was probably less than $20 for 4+ lunches

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly for hotels,

Try this [url]http://maps.google.com/maps?near=4545+West+John+Carpenter+Fr...[/url]

THe Westin is location A

Cheaper options are adjacent or just across the freeway

For food, the hotel sells hot sandwiches etc in the gaming area. But I know the Canadians (Trololo, etc) Borrowed my car to go grab groceries last year.

So I will email them and see if they are going again. They might act as good guides. They speak english if you ignore the odd Eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
Firstly for hotels[...]

Be careful -- unless you have wings, not all of the close-by cheap hotels are actually accessible without a car.

ObDisclaimer: BGG really discourages people from staying in the neighboring hotels unless the convention hotel is really truly sold out -- in general for big events the fewer hotel rooms event attendees rent, the more the function space costs and the less happy the hotel will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Troymk1 wrote:
Firstly for hotels[...]

Be careful -- unless you have wings, not all of the close-by cheap hotels are actually accessible without a car.

ObDisclaimer: BGG really discourages people from staying in the neighboring hotels unless the convention hotel is really truly sold out -- in general for big events the fewer hotel rooms event attendees rent, the more the function space costs and the less happy the hotel will be.

Second point first.

I doubt Aldie et al would mind a student from Argentina having access to all the info as far as where to stay. I did a simple google map search, so I am guessing I have not released any secrets.

Many people find the convenience of the hotel a selling point and I would agree if I was flying in I would simply stay at the Westin.

But to address your point, it IS a free country and while I am fully cognizant of the need for people to stay at the designated hotel, I believe it has to stand on its own merits. (Factoring in ease of access and the need for the Con to fill rooms into the equation)

IF the hotel was charging an uncompetitive rate I think you would find that tickets to BGGCON would at first only be offered to those also booking a room. And while I think there would be ill will generated, at its root this is a viable business model.

First point second,

All those hotels are on what are known as access roads that run parallel to a freeway. It's not a typical practice in other countries to have those.

So he is right, while you CAN traverse the overpass across 114 I wouldn't be doing it with a bunch of luggage/games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Costa
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the tips!!
Sadly, I will have to ask for a refund for the registration because the cheapest price for the plane fare is U$S 1800!!. I know, I should have checked that in the first place, but I did not know it would cost so much.
I really appreciate all the suggestions and I hope someday to be able to attend.

Thanks again!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news. The con is sold out, so you should have NO TROUBLE selling your ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Costa
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are right and I do want to sell my ticket, I don't know the procedure for doing it. If you do, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting list and sellers instructions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Magrill

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might not need to be in such a rush to sell your ticket. Airfare prices fluctuate drastically and you've got 6+ months...... As people have mentioned, there shouldn't be any problem selling the ticket whenever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Costa
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to say that finally I will be arriving on Nov 15th to the Red Roof Inn hotel to attend BGGCON!
The thing is I don't have much money, so if someone can help me with some info I will appreciate it.
For example, I will need to find a supermarket (or something like it) to buy groceries and some kind of transport to get there. So, if anybody knows where I can find one and how can I get there, please, let me know.

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rick1970 wrote:
I'm happy to say that finally I will be arriving on Nov 15th to the Red Roof Inn hotel to attend BGGCON!
The thing is I don't have much money, so if someone can help me with some info I will appreciate it.
For example, I will need to find a supermarket (or something like it) to buy groceries and some kind of transport to get there. So, if anybody knows where I can find one and how can I get there, please, let me know.

Thanks!!!

I am staying at Red Roof Inn and will have a car. Send me your room number or a phone number and I'll call you if we make a food run. I see a Kroger about 5 miles away and a "All American Gourmet Co" about 2 miles away.

Red Roof Inn has some rooms with refrigerator and microwave. Might ask about that if you plan to store food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Menace wrote:
Rick1970 wrote:

Thanks!!!

I am staying at Red Roof Inn and will have a car. Send me your room number or a phone number and I'll call you if we make a food run. I see a Kroger about 5 miles away and a "All American Gourmet Co" about 2 miles away.

Red Roof Inn has some rooms with refrigerator and microwave. Might ask about that if you plan to store food.

You and I need to get together too... heh. Red Roof crew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.