GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,436 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Shawn Murphy

Columbia
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to know if it's possible to take good pictures from your TV (currently I have a 46 inch flatscreen). Anytime you take a picture without a flash, it sucks. If you place lights near it, you just get lots of reflection (like yourself). And, if you have the flash on, you need to shoot it at an angle to get it to work without the bright white cross showing up on your picture.

The camera I have is a Sony MPEGMovie VX Smart Zoom DSC-P41 (Cybershot) with 4 Megapixels (from 2006).

This seems to take forever, and even when you get them right and a few good ones will be posted, the angle will be slightly slanted and be rejected from VideoGameGeek even though the picture finally looks good.

Also, I find it hard just to take pictures of video game boxes and manuals because of the flash problem, too. None will be perfect squares. Maybe I just need brighter lights for this?

Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I'm guessing that most people prefer some sort of screen capture, for which there are dedicated hardware solutions? You could try taking a picture with the flash on, but cover the flash so that it won't reflect - that way the camera still uses the fast shutter speed associated with flash mode, but no flash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TV has a delay on how the picture is shown, if you don't let the aperature stay open long enough, you get usually half a picture. Newer tvs have a different method, but you still need to keep the camera open long enough to get the entire painting of the screen. Put it on the "1" and you should get something more than the half-screen pic. With new tvs and cameras you might check out the manual on how to set you shutter speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheScarletSpider wrote:
Also, I find it hard just to take pictures of video game boxes and manuals because of the flash problem, too. None will be perfect squares. Maybe I just need brighter lights for this?

No, you need a scanner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Images of game manuals are supposed to be uploaded to Video Game Geek as part of a media bundle that contains all material inside the game box (discs, manuals, maps, etc.). So you don't need to worry about getting a perfect rectangle. There's a fantastic tutorial on creating great media bundle images: Media Bundle Tutorial - GeekGold up for grabs

As mentioned above, there are specific hardware solutions that allow you to capture images from a TV using a PC. Alternatively, you could use an emulator running on your PC to take a screenshot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3032552
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am puzzled as to why you are unable to take a picture of a TV screen without a flash. The screen is literally emitting light! You want the room completely dark. A tripod or a steady hand is also helpful.

Maybe your camera's sensor and lens are just too small to handle low light conditions. Temporarily turn up your TV's contrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people find that hand-held camera pictures taken of your TV screen are going to look pretty darn awful for screen-captures.

Unfortunately, if you really want to take a good screenie, your best bet is to purchase a dedicated hardware screen-capture solution. The best still seems to be this one: Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

Google can reveal a ton of helpful walk-throughs for doing this.

It's really rather stupid that current console manufacturers don't include a screen-cap feature with the hardware, all things considered.

It's incredibly easy and free to do so on the PC (Fraps is the answer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.