GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aren't 'vehicle' missions too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't some mission too easy?
I do not want to believe that
Am I too good?
I really doubt it.
Am I playing it right?
I hope not.

For any 'vehicle' mission just get enough AGM-65s, move your planes one step closer to the center in turn one. Then send all your AGM-65 in turn 2 and go back home...
Am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that sometimes the missions seem too easy. But those "easy" missions are often the result of having multiple of the following situations in play at the same time:

experienced pilots
"okay" pilots near zero stress
the ideal aircraft being available
lucky bandit draws
lucky site draws
target location on campaign map sheet (closer is better)
fortunate event card draws
lucky E-2C Hawkeye event negation rolls
lucky attack rolls
lucky ECM pod rolls

It only takes one tough event card pull or unlucky roll early on to make what appears to be an easy mission extremely tough. Additionally, there's never enough SO to meet my needs, so I may fly a mission with less ordinance than I would like in order to conserve for later in the campaign. Sometimes I feel I have to press my luck to maintain options later in the campaign and it doesn't always work out.

In one mission I just played, my E-2C was unable to negate the "Bandits!" card drawn during the target bound phase. A roll of a "3" when a "4" would have been sufficient to negate the event caused me to fret. Not having enough AtA to feel comfortable with using to reduce the effects of the event, I chose to trust the ECM pods. The first attack damaged my E-2C, the second damaged my only AtA carrying aircraft, and another became shaken which reduced its AtG effectiveness drastically. Then "Charlie Foxtrot" caused an additional stress accumulation to my AtG pilots. After a miserable AGM-130 attack on the target, I aborted the mission after turn 1. Maybe if I would have chosen to pay for priority refueling so I could carry more munitions I would have felt comfortable expending AtA to negate the "Bandits" card, and the mission might have been winnable. From the planning stage, I had a pretty good chance for success (few sites, only one threatening, and few bandits), but a bad series of events and rolls and success became all but unattainable.

Sorry, that was really long, I hope you stayed with it. I think even the missions that seem too easy, some vehicle missions included, will often suprise me with the pain they cause. Even before I get to fire on turn 1. Also, I don't mind that some missions seem too easy. Because many can be very difficult, especially when I feel like I'm pushing the evelope trying to attain that "Great" evaluation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
eferreira wrote:
For any 'vehicle' mission just get enough AGM-65s, move your planes one step closer to the center in turn one. Then send all your AGM-65 in turn 2 and go back home...

For each plane firing the AGM-65s, each missile is going for the same target/site, correct? That munition counter lacks the "Independent" ability, so a pilot can only send them to one target per turn. Some targets may have more objective sites than you have aircraft to fly the mission. "AAA Sites" is one example with 5 sites and a max of 3 combat aircraft you can fly. So in that case, you'd have to drag the mission out until at least turn 3 to target the remaining 2 sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan. Yes, I agree that there are many other missions that are more difficult.
So far, I love this game, but I regret that when I have to do one of those 'vehicle' missions, I know that the enjoyment and adrenaline will not be the same than with other missions.

Ryanmobile wrote:
eferreira wrote:

For each plane firing the AGM-65s, each missile is going for the same target/site, correct? That munition counter lacks the "Independent" ability, so a pilot can only send them to one target per turn. Some targets may have more objective sites than you have aircraft to fly the mission. "AAA Sites" is one example with 5 sites and a max of 3 combat aircraft you can fly. So in that case, you'd have to drag the mission out until at least turn 3 to target the remaining 2 sites.

Yes, AGM-65s does not have the "Independent" ability, and I agree with you that for the case of the "AAA Sites" mission, they are not so effective. However, there are other (quite a few) missions that are "Vehicles" and not "Independent" targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, like in real life, you just get a lucky break, have the right tools for the job and have an easy mission. I figure you should enjoy the milk-runs when you get them, send the inexperienced pilots out for easy experience points and remember that the easy mission is no longer in the Target Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damen Parker
Oman
Northampton
Muscat
flag msg tools
Trust me. You know it makes sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought target 21:Convoy would be an easy mission. I took 3 pilots Psycho-newbie, Farmboy-average & Shifty-average. I decided this would be my primary and sole mission for the day to rest my other pilots.

I thought this would be easy. How wrong was I! I drew Bandits event card and ended up with 3 pilots on 3 stress points following evasive actions before I had started. I only had 2 bandits and took them out with my Phoenix missiles. But then I drew Important target and the sites attacked first - another 2 stress points to Shifty. He was now on his upper limit and -2AtG. He had 4 AGM62's and only scored 3/8 hits on the target of the 4 needed (I was -1 hit due to Infra).

I had no choice but to press on and drop my Mk.20 but couldn't muster the last hit and was now out of munitions with one site still targetting my planes.

Failure! Home bound I drew bad weather for another point of stress. And as the target in IRAQ 1991 is far away I received another 3 stress points per for each of my pilots for their troubles.

So to summarise my 'easy mission'. No VP's & 3 highly stressed pilots.

The lesson learned here is not to take anything for granted in this great game.

Cheers
D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
DeviousDamen wrote:
The lesson learned here is not to take anything for granted in this great game.

That's about the best & shortest way to put it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.