GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pax Baltica» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Grand Campaign - 1701 - Two steps forward, two steps back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a continuation of the AAR begun here.

Pax Baltica Playthrough
THE GRAND CAMPAIGN Scenario (1700-1721)

Developer's Note: This playthrough is being conducted solitaire by me, the developer of GMT's edition of PAX BALTICA. I am using the playtest VASSAL module to generate images for the report. I'll make one post for each year of the scenario (interphase plus four turns). I hope to illustrate not just the mechanics of play, but also some of the potential strategies and tactics.

INTERPHASE

ACTIVATIONS
By tournament rule, no rolls until 1704.
This prevents swingy results early in the game. Denmark had just made peace and would be unlikely to return to the fray so soon; similarly, the Turks had just made peace with Russia and were even less likely to intervene without significant events unfolding first. No other nations are eligible to enter thanks to modifiers.

REPLACEMENTS
SWEDEN (40)
Onboard replacements: None.
New builds:
Friedrich IV (2cv) 6 RPs, deployed in Holstein-Gottorp
Lewenhaupt (4cv) 10 RPs, deployed in Svealand
Rhenskiöld (4cv) 10 RPs, deployed in Västergötland
Savolax (3cv) 4 RPs, deployed in Savolax
Södermanland (3cv) 4 RPs, deployed in Svealand
6 RPs unspent and lost

No surprises here; with no losses to replace, Sweden builds out its entire force pool, placing the new blocks where they can quickly be transported to the main theatre of action. Sweden can generally afford to be aggressive because of this replacement rate.

RUSSIA (32, -8 for two armies on track = 24)
Onboard replacements:
Sjeremetev (+1 to 4cv) 2 RPs
Kazanski (+1 to 3cv) 1 RP
New builds:
Stubinski (3cv) 4 RPs, deployed in Tula
Woronjetski (3cv) 4 RPs, deployed in Moskva
Ogilvy (4cv) 10 RPs, deployed in Moskva
Wachow (2cv) 3 RPs, deployed in Tula

Thanks to the emergency replacements, the Russians can concentrate on new builds.

SAXONY (16)
Onboard replacements: None.
New builds:
Brause (2cv) 3 RPs, deployed in Lausitz
Schulenburg (4cv) 10 RPs, deployed in Lausitz
August II, not enough RPs for first step, returned to pool and remaining 3 RPs lost

Bad luck for the Saxons, losing their remaining RPs after drawing their best block.

1701 SPRING

Sweden Action Roll: 3 (2 actions)
Coalition Action Roll: 6 (event)

Another bad break for the Coalition, which will have to sit by idly as the Swedes open the campaign season uncontested.

Event: 6 = National Politics; Coalition chooses Russia; roll 5 = Emergency Recruitment (3 RPs); new build Permski (2cv) in Jaroslav

The Coalition takes a chance rolling for Russia, and though they get away with an Emergency Recruitment, the poor RP roll is only enough for a Regiment.

Sweden Action 1: Rehnskiöld, Elfsborg, Kronoberg from Västergötland to Skagerrak, aboard Wachtmeister, Wattrang
Sweden Action 2: Karl XII, Dalregementet, Södra Skånska from Ingermanland to Novgorod

Karl attacks the Russians’ forward defense, attempting to destroy them piecemeal, while preparing reinforcements in Sweden.

BATTLE OF NOVGOROD (Swedish Attacker vs Russian Defender)
FIRST ROUND
ATTACKER A
Karl XII (A3 cv4): 1, 3, 4, 4 (losses to Repnin and Kazanski)
Dalregementet (A2 cv3): 4, 4, 4 (no losses)
Södra Skånska (A2 cv2): 1, 3 (loss to Repnin)
DEFENDER C
Repnin (C1 cv2): Retreats to Velikaya
Kazanski (C1 cv2): Retreats to Rzjev

The battle goes as expected, and Repnin takes the better part of valor. Repnin himself is exposed in Velikaya, as Kazanski reinforces Sjeremetev in Rzjev for a possible counterattack.

Forage: No losses.

1701 SUMMER

Sweden Action Roll: 5 (3 actions)
Coalition Action Roll: 3 (2 actions)

Sweden Action 1: Wachtmeister, Wattrang (with Rehnskiöld, Elfsborg, Kronoberg aboard) from Skagerrak to Northern Baltic Sea
Sweden Action 2: Rehnskiöld, Elfsborg, Kronoberg debark into Livland via Riga
Sweden Action 3: Karl XII declares siege against Novgorod

Coalition Action 1: Stubinski, Wachow from Tula to Smolensk
Coalition Action 2: Schulenburg, Brause from Lausitz to Sandomierz (force march roll = 1, each block loses one step)

Sweden takes a chance on driving Flemming from Livland without securing a retreat path by land. The Coalition plays it safe and brings up reinforcements from the rear.

BATTLE OF RIGA (Swedish Attacker vs Saxon Defender)
FIRST ROUND
ATTACKER A
Rehnskiöld (A2 cv4): 3, 4, 5, 5 (no losses)
Elfsborg (A1 cv3): 1, 4, 6 (loss to Flemming)
Kronoberg (A1 cv3): 1, 2, 4 (loss to Flemming)
DEFENDER B
Flemming (B2 cv2): Retreats to Zemaitija

Flemming takes the expected beating, and withdraws into Poland. The Swedish gamble pays off.

SIEGE OF NOVGOROD (Swedish Attacker vs Russian Defender)
ATTACKER A
Karl XII (A3 cv4): 2, 3, 5, 6
DEFENDER C
Novgorod Garrison (C1 cv3): 2, 3, 4

Karl barely fails to take Novgorod, but at least no losses are taken. The year is young and another attempt is very possible. All in all a decent turn for the Swedes.

Forage: No losses

1701 AUTUMN

Sweden Action Roll: 6 (event)
Coalition Action Roll: 2 (2 actions)

Event: 3 = Attrition (National)
Losses to Karl XII, Dalregementet, and Södra Skånska in Novgorod
Loss to Flemming in Zemaitija
Loss to Schulenburg in Sandomierz [Brause is immune to events at 1cv]

Although the attrition hits Saxony badly (Polish is not national territory for Saxons) it is worse for Karl; he has little chance of a successful siege now, and could be vulnerable to a Russian counterattack.

Coalition Action 1: Pjotr I, Schnewentz from Tver to Novgorod via Rzjev
Coalition Action 2: Sjeremetev, Kazanski from Rzjev to Novgorod

And here it comes! Pjotr moves through Rzjev so the forces enter together and neither need start in Reserves; this does limit retreats through Rzjev, but that’s not a serious drawback in this case. Repnin could have been sent into Ingermanland to cut off the Swedish retreat, but then only one force could make the attack and would probably lose.

BATTLE OF SECOND NOVGOROD (Russian Attacker vs Swedish Defender)
FIRST ROUND
DEFENDER A
Karl XII (A3 3cv): 5, 5, 6 (no losses)
Dalregementet (A2 2cv): 1, 1 (losses to Pjotr I and Sjeremetev)
Södra Skånska (A2 1cv): 6 (no losses)
ATTACKER B
Pjotr I (B3 3cv): 1, 1, 5 (losses to Karl XII and Dalregementet)
Sjeremetev (B2 3cv): 1, 2, 5 (losses to Karl XII and Södra Skånska [eliminated])
ATTACKER C
Schnewentz (C2 2cv): 5, 5 (no losses)
Kazanski (C1 2cv): 5, 6 (no losses)
SECOND ROUND
DEFENDER A
Karl XII (A3 1cv): Retreats to Ingermanland
Dalregementet (A2 1cv): Retreats to Ingermanland
REGROUP
Pjotr I, Kazanski return to Rzjev
Sjeremetev, Schnewentz remain in Novgorod

Karl is caught on his back foot and receives a drubbing from the Tsar’s forces. He may be forced to roll for National Politics or at least spend some actions on rebuilding his forces lest he be knocked into exile, a disaster this early in the game. The Russians have more or less undone all the Swedish success so far. Pjotr retires away from the front to forage.

1701 WINTER

Sweden Action Roll: 6 (event); reroll by tournament rule is 2 (2 actions)
Coalition Action Roll: 2 (2 actions)
Coalition must go first by tiebreak rule (Sweden went first last turn)

Coalition Action 1: Ogilvy, Woronjetski from Moskva to Polock
Coalition Action 2: Schulenburg, Brause from Sandomierz to Trakai

An attack on the weakened Karl is contemplated, but with his “A” rating he can withdraw easily. The Coalition instead prudently moves up more forces in preparation for more decisive campaigning next year.

Sweden Action 1: Vellinck, Estländska from Estland to Kurlandia, siege attempt declared against Mitawa
Sweden Action 2: Lewenhaupt, Södermanland from Svealand to North Baltic Sea, aboard Wachtmeister, Wattrang

The Swedes make a move against Poland, taking advantage of Coalition passivity; they also prepare reinforcements for 1702.

SIEGE OF MITAWA (Swedish Attacker vs Polish Defender)
ATTACKER B
Vellinck (B2 cv4): 3, 4, 6, 6
DEFENDER C
Mitawa Garrison (C1 cv2): 1, 5 (loss to Vellinck)

The utter failure of the siege of Mitawa will slow the development of Swedish plans, but is not a severe setback.

By scenario rule, the Polish regiments Oginski and Sobieski and added to the Saxon pool, since a Swedish block entered Poland this turn.

All in all, this year must count as a minus for Sweden. A modest victory could not be capitalized upon, and a strong Russian counterattack leaves both sides in strong shape for the campaign to come. Karl must hope for some luck or dissension in the Coalition ranks to provide an opportunity for solid gains in 1702. As for the Coalition, although the Saxon forces are decimated, the Russians remain solid and will prove a major obstacle to Swedish plans.

Next: 1702
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nordlöf
Sweden
SPANGA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another great session there Scott! Just hope we soon will see the game in print at GMT. Your work and effort is sure contributing to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longing for 1702. Any news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for going months without getting back to this AAR. They take some time to produce, and I have had a number of family obligations lately, so it's hard for me to get the time together to do it. It's so much easier to spend 10 minutes here and there on the internet... But I will move this again to the front burner and work on the next year. On to 1702...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I apologize for going months without getting back to this AAR. They take some time to produce, and I have had a number of family obligations lately, so it's hard for me to get the time together to do it. It's so much easier to spend 10 minutes here and there on the internet... But I will move this again to the front burner and work on the next year. On to 1702...!

I thought you were doing it real-time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.