GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Tactical wargames on Soviet-Afghan war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from Firepower and Test of Arms, are there any other wargames with Soviet-Afghan War scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not aware of any others, apart from possible generic scenarios in games such as Sniper! Special Forces: Sniper! Companion Game #2.

There was a recent S&T issue about Kabul in 1979, but that wasn't tactical:
Cold War Battles 2: Kabul '79 & Pentomic Wurzburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Just for historical background there is also S&T's Holy War: Afghanistan, but this is also not at the tactical scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Willeke
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And since the number of board games on the topic is rather slim:

Both the "Combat Mission" and "Squad Battles" computer game serie have a dedicated title on the conflict.
The latter looks and feels similar to squad level boardgame a la Lock`N`Load or ASL. I do not think that I need to introduce Combat Mission to anyone playing computer wargames.

Edit: Should be Squad Battles, not Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HPS Sims' "The Soviet-Afghan War" is part of their squad-based Squad Battles Series. It's a computer game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Soviet Nadir: Cataclysm at Zhawar April 1986 is one, but it's a mixed bag. It's a DTP effort and the map and rules are iffy. The combat system isn't too bad, actually, but the manner in which it is presented leaves the player to work out quite a lot on their own. The counters are pretty nice, but you'll have to mount & cut them yourself. I would place this at roughly squad level in terms of what the units represent, but the time scale claims to be 2hrs/turn, which seems a bit weird.

Panjshir Valley 1981 is another but appears to be more in the grand tactical or low operational vein. Same designers, same caveats, appears to be a different system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, then I now have a slight regret for selling my Firepower.

Could MBT (First Edition) handle tactical scenarios on the Sov-Afghan War? Or is it better more for tank-on-tank engagements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My memory of MBT is dim, but I recall infantry being a perfunctory presence. It's mainly about the armour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Five minutes' searching on Google for "Miniature wargames rules Soviet invation Afghanistan" yielded a 36-page free downloadable supplement titled "By the Knife: Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan" to be used with the tactical miniatures rules "Disposable Heroes" and "Coffin for Seven Brothers."

The supplement is subtitled "Small Unit Infantry and Vehicle Skirmish for Modern Battles" and is copyright "Iron Ivan Games," but is offered for free download for personal use.

Link:

http://www.ironivangames.com/bytheknife.pdf

The rules as written are scaled for 20mm or 28mm figures but can be used with modest modification with anything from 15s to 54s.

See "Plastic Soldier Review" for information on pertinent figures, including modern Soviets and sets usable for Afghans, which are quite inexpensive; one box of each antagonist should yield adequate numbers for a small-unit tactical game.

Rebel Miniatures also has a good line of 15mm metal figures for the purpose.

It would be relatively easy to modify such rules for map-and-counters use substititing hexes for inches or centimeters in measuring range and movement, and adapting anything from other tactical counters to wooden cubes to represent troop types if figures are not desired.

Having recently seen "The Ninth Company," I can envision a very bloody tactical game on Soviet-Afghan fighting, with no quarter offered or given on either side but with some interesting and unusual tactical twists and strong emphasis on small-unit leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.