GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

The Coming Storm» Forums » General

Subject: On the Fence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have preordered this game last year, but funds were low and I was unsure if Zucker would develop the entire series. It looks like is going to, and my interest in this game has grown. Can anyone tell me how it plays compared to 4LB? Also, I heard the map is unimpressive. Is this true? Can anyone post some good map images?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sean,

Play is a bit less "wild" as some of the stronger-cards were removed; there were some other edits as well. Also, there is a bit more combat interaction as there are tactics cards you can play in the combat phase. Generally, you are not (or at least should-not), see as many drastic swings as the overall strategic situation was a little more predictable than the battles in 4LB; of course, that is all relative.

As to the maps, they look pretty good (most OSG maps do), but I do prefer the 4LB maps.

I am scheduled for a game pretty soon, and I will try and post some pictures of the map here as well as an AAR.

By the way, I think there is a WGD (Wargame Design) magazine from OSG due-out soon, which will have a heavy focus on TCS. WGD mags are only $5.00 or something and it could give you good insight.

Hopefully, some other folks will chime-in on your question; I was close to the 4LB system refinement play-testing and edits, so my view may be distorted. The game is not cheap and if you are uncertain, I’d probably wait for a few more BGG reviews, get the WGD mag, and track-down a few secession reports before you buy it.

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Zucker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Sean,

I am glad to read of your interest in The Coming Storm.

If you have played and you liked Four Lost Battles you will find The Coming Storm an agreeable experience as well. The changes in the new game are very minor. Those changes to the card deck are not structural; the cards work just as they did before. The one important change to the system is a simplification of the vedettes, and that is one page of rules you'll want to check over.

The maps meet our highest standard and were created by one of our veteran graphic designers, Joe Youst, who also created the maps for Four Lost Battles. If you put the maps together you might have to hesitate to say which is from which game, except that these maps are all twice as large as the four in 4LB.

A map will succeed when it presents the terrain unambiguously and with clarity, when important points are easily distinguished from the background, and when the terrain itself, in color and texture, looks like the earth seen from above.

A map is more than a visually appealing playing surface; it is also an historical document. With research help from our avid fans in Europe we were able to source these maps to 1804, giving an unprecedented level of historical detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear from you Mr. Zucker, as I have become a big fan of your games and I have written several positive reviews. You are the best rules writer I have yet seen.

I went ahead and bought the Coming Storm and preordered The Last Suces and Napoleon at Leipzig. In my 4LB review I said that I hope others would take note. I'm glad to see that the system will be applied to nearly all of the major battles of the Napoleonic era.

Quote:
A map is more than a visually appealing playing surface; it is also an historical document. With research help from our avid fans in Europe we were able to source these maps to 1804, giving an unprecedented level of historical detail.

I believe OSG makes the best maps. They are accurate and also beautiful. I guess though for the money, I would want both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I did decide to pick it up. So far Zucker has not really disappointed me with his games, so why not take the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Sean,

No problem; glad you are taking the plunge. I think you will enjoy it.

I wasn’t involved on the map research, however Kevin’s characterization of it has being a historical document is dead-on; the amount of research ( time, energy, and folks involved) was impressive to say the least.

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
I might have preordered this game last year, but funds were low and I was unsure if Zucker would develop the entire series. It looks like is going to, and my interest in this game has grown. Can anyone tell me how it plays compared to 4LB? Also, I heard the map is unimpressive. Is this true? Can anyone post some good map images?

I thin the maps are amongst the most impressive that I have seen.

They are full of soft colours and have a 'period' feel to them.

They could easily be framed and put on your wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.