GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,871 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Civilian Ship - Can we do this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So let's say it's my turn and I go to communications...

Can I do the action, but when I put the civ-ships back down, say "this one is good" and place it right-side up while saying "this one is bad" and place it upside down?

In other words, can I set the ships up to indicate things about them? Or is that giving too much away? People have been doing this when I play and I wonder if this is okay.

Also, in skill checks, can I only say if I can contribute a little or a lot? How about, medium or slightly a lot, wording like that etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's fine because it's still on your word. As an unrevealed cylon, you can still make the gamble that you're going to get away with putting population and morale in harms way.

Pretty well the same thing as saying "I'm contributing a lot" into a skill check and then putting in all 1's.

The key here is that the rulebook does not tell you to put the ships back down randomly - i.e., you do not have to reshuffle them without people looking at them once they're placed. Thematically, the comms officer has told you what each Dradis blip is, and you can take her at her word or not, your choice.

Hopefully that's enough arguments for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the other part is that when it comes to killing ships, who gets to choose which ships to kill, the current player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my gut reaction, since it's also the current player who decides if damage is taken on Galactica or Pegasus in the expansion.

I could be wrong though. Someone else may want to chime in and confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
Well, the other part is that when it comes to killing ships, who gets to choose which ships to kill, the current player?

Yes, destroying ships is current player choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
So let's say it's my turn and I go to communications...

Can I do the action, but when I put the civ-ships back down, say "this one is good" and place it right-side up while saying "this one is bad" and place it upside down?

In other words, can I set the ships up to indicate things about them? Or is that giving too much away? People have been doing this when I play and I wonder if this is okay.

Also, in skill checks, can I only say if I can contribute a little or a lot? How about, medium or slightly a lot, wording like that etc.?

For the ships, you can say either good or bad, nothing else. So no "medium", no "very bad", no "it has two resources", etc ...

It is indeed the current player that chooses which ships to destroy when there is a choice.

In skill checks, you can only say "a little" or "a lot", and when contributing more than one card, you can say "mediun".

Of course, every play group is free to house rule this, but this is how FFG advises to play, and how they feel that the game is most fun and fair to every player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally in our group we don't allow you to make any comments on civvies because "a lot" = 2 resources "a little" = no resources and "no comment" = 1 resource.

Arranging them within a sector (such as into certain corners or rotating them) is fair game, and you're welcome to give advice if asked which one to destroy, but that's it. It works very well for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't (for obvious reasons) say anything about any of them before the time comes to destroy/move them. If you announce that "woah, we REALLY need to keep this ship alive", guess what the first ship to get destroyed will be next time the Cylon activates the raiders?

You are of course free to share with your fellow humans, when the time comes, that "wait, don't pick that one" if that should be the case. But don't spill what is on the back of them in clear text. That information is only for you, just like when you Scout. At least that's how I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.