GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,267 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

The Princes of Florence» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Princess and muse - first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Thursday night we decided to go ahead with our first play of the Pricess and Muse expansion for PoF.

Our initial concerns where that there wouldn't be enough competition over the roles since there were only 3 of us, but we thought we'd give it a try anyway. So me, Defendo and Finn familiarised ourselves with the new rules and began the game.

Finn traditionally goes for a triple Jester strategy whereas everyone else plays the all-rounder game. The first auction Jester price hit the 1200 mark, but unusually Finn backed out and Defendo ended up taking it. Finn acquired a medium priced Builder and I took a cheap forest.

The first auction for the new roles was interesting. Having played the vanilla PoF many times I figured that having 3 actions instead of the usual 2 was extremely useful. It was also clear that the Merchant was a useful choice since he could bag the next round Jester. The first choice made was for the banker (by Finn). I found this quite surprising as I thought everyone would be after the Bishop or the Merchant. Defendo and myself fought over the Merchant which raised the price to 1000. Defendo won that, I got the Bishop for 300 (bargain) and Finn took the banker's 600 Florins.

I felt I could stretch my legs somewhat with 3 actions. I even managed to bag the best work with only an 8WV profession, since every one else seemed to be pre-occupied.

The next auction was funny. We knew that Defendo had the Merchant so we thought it was almost pointless bidding it up, but we did anyway just to go through the motions. Fortunately it turned out there was a point to this after all, as Defendo didn't have enough cash to bid beyond 800! laugh So I grabbed the Jester for about 900, Defendo went with a free Builder and Finn chose a cheap landscape.

Defendo realised he was strapped for cash and had messed up his strategy, so ended up taking the Banker. I thought making a big mistake early on would put him out of the game. The vanilla PoF is quite unforgiving if you miscalculate. However over the course of the game, he managed to diverse into a decent building strategy. He realised that using the Princess really supports this strategy and takes the focus off acquiring Professions, since her special power rewards for multiple landscapes, builders and buildings.

I capitalized on the Bishop role several times. It was only at about halfway through the game that the others realised the huge benefit of the Bishop's 3 action power. In the end I managed to pull off 9 works. 2 Recruits were used and the rest of the professions were purchased mainly with extra Bishop actions. With 2 Jesters in tow, it made the WV targets easy to hit by the end.

Finn seemed like he had a strong strategy going. Bare in mind he wins a lot of vanilla PoF games. He managed to bag 2 (possibly 3) best works by using the Muse role effectively towards the end of the game. I think there were a couple of expensive fights over roles that potentially screwed over his end game strategy however.

In the last round, Defendo grabbed the Princess for 300 and managed a 25WV with it - clearly demonstrating the synergy between the builder strategy and the Princess role. I had 2 Prestige cards by this point, 1 of which was 8VP for all 3 freedoms. I only had 2 freedoms but also had 2 professions to work, so I needed the Bishop. However, I realised that Finn would definitely go for the Muse to pump his final 2 works and I calculated that the Muse would actually make me 10VP (assuming I get best work), so I decided to ditch the Prestige in favour of that. A huge bidding war ensued (and luckily I'd preserved some final round cash for this). Finn had to bow out at about 900 Florins, since he had no more funds. He ended up taking the Banker, but I think it cost him dearly as he was counting on the best work bonus and extra VP from his works. I think the game might have ended with very close scores had I not managed to win the Muse role.

The game ended with me in first place (about 90ish VP), Defendo second and Finn last (about 68VP).

We all really enjoyed the expansion and will definitely play PoF with it in future. I think our initial concerns over a 3 player game were valid in that there were obvious role choices and not enough competition for them all and someone always walks away with a bargain. Some people have commented that the expansion should only really be played by veterans of PoF. Whilst I agree with this to some extent, what also became clear is that it actually makes game more forgiving than the original. There are now even more routes to victory and a situation that would have punished you in the original game can now be remedied with good Role selection. This is what happened to Defendo (and he didn't even realise he was doing a Builder strategy!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats not his real name, its his online name. I didn't think he'd want me using his real name. The other guys not really called Finn either laugh

EDIT: Where has that guy gone (Lee?) that replied originally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might add that i wasnt christened 'defendo'.

Also, i might a bit of a balls up of my opening turns as i was trying to play and have a phone conversation at the same time ... this turned out to be a total FAIL as i ran out of money and basically wasted the 1k i spent on the merchant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now you know his name is Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I think your reservations over three player are valid nevertheless I don't like playing PoF with anything less then five. The competition due to low total number of works really drives the game - in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Nickell
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to start a campaign for a "Go Defendo Go" Microbadge. It would be the coolest.

Great write up Chip. I am a BIG PoF fan and haven't used the expansion yet because I was trying to get my wife acclimated to the game before busting it out. Thanks for taking the time to write up your report.

Bill, I would have to disagree with you. While I enjoy PoF a tad bit more with 5 Players I am able to complete 5 to 6 works in a 2 player game without someone turning a blind eye or a lack of competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:
I want to start a campaign for a "Go Defendo Go" Microbadge. It would be the coolest.

lol

I was thinking I should design a microbadge the other day, but was stuck for ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:

modest that would be pretty cool lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Winter
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the woefully underperforming third player in this sorry affair, and just to add to the general confusion, my name actually is Finn.

If you think this is bad, you should be grateful that neither Lock-Knife nor the Milfman could make it to our session that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:

Done here

I guess it needs 'approving' - I'm not sure how that happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unlpat wrote:

Microbadge now available to buy:

If only I could afford to buy it for myself cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Nice one! Have a beer to celebrate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The badge of *me* is alive! (this is wierd btw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.