Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The area-control aspect sounds interesting, but I never play more than 2-player. All games that seem to shadow this concept require 3+ players:
- San Marco
- Wongar
- Attila
- Kardinal & Konig (China)
- Wallenstein
- Etc.

These are all highly rated games, but I can't play any of them! angry Does anyone have a recommendation of a comparable game to EL GRANDE that works for 2-Players? For that matter, does anyone have comparable games to any of these listed? Again, 2-players or more.

For sake of confusion, please don't just list any favorite 2-player game.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kardinal & Konig - Das Duell is an expansion that makes Kardinal & Konig (Web of Power) playable with 2 players.

Also Canal Grande is a 2-player card game version of San Marco.

Clocktowers (the card game version of Capitol) may also be an interesting choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Feiler
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein is actually not bad with 2. I prefer it with more, but I've had fun with just 2.

O Zoo Le Mio / ZooSim is a mix of several genres, and one of them is a sort of area majority (the others that jump out are tile laying and auctions). Each zoo has a number of reptile areas, mammal areas, etc., and you compete for majorities in those types. It works pretty well with just 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kardinal & Konig has a 2p variant called "The Duell" which works pretty well, perhaps you can try this one. The idea should be easily applicable to the newer China version if that's what you have access to.

Somewhat related to area control games are stock games, where you get monetary payout based on majorities of shares. Alhambra is one that has a good 2 player version. I know it's not exactly the same, but perhaps it will be useful to you.

Usually, the main difference between stock games and area control games are in how control units are acquired, whether and how they can be converted, and whether there are limits on their numbers. In an ordinary stock game, you buy shares and there is a fixed limited number of each one available. They may or may not be convertable back into cash. In an ordinary area control game, any number of forces may be present in a region, and they can be moved from one region to another. There is not a concept of money, so some other mechanism is used to control how many forces you can place and move. El Grande uses the cards to draft and place men. Some games use action points, or require the spending of various types of resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I 2nd the choice of the Das Duell expansion for Kardinal und Konig. It plays very well with 2 and quite tense.

Carolus Magnus is another game that plays well with 2-4 players and has a neat merging-areas idea.

And I just got Capitol and tried the 2-player variant that Sven suggested. After only 1 play, I think it's pretty good. (This game is hard to find, but FunAgain had it for $30).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa is an area control game that works well with 2 players. Forget about that trading theme: it's all about ccontrolling markets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for what it's worth, cave troll is a cheap/small 2-4 player area control game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mexica is playable with 2 players, and is effectively an area control game combined with a roping game. I'm not sure I would call it similar to El Grande, but it's close enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. You "dig" canals to break the island into sections, and then you build temples to gain control of those sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Although just mentioned, I'll go the extra step to actually recommend Cave Troll. =) The theme is a fantasy dungeon (and I think the game fits the theme nicely), but the game is entirely about area control. (No combat or dice rolling.) I've very much enjoyed it with 2,3, or 4.

Atlas & Zeus is strictly 2P and is all about area control or, specifically, control of those areas that don't disappear into the sea. The action ordering mechanic is a great one. Lots of tough decisions, but it's a fairly easy game to learn and teach.

One oddball suggestion is Brawl. It's a real-time card game, but the basic mechanic boils down to area control. I'm not fast enough to be very good at it, but I always enjoy playing and am usually laughing at the end of each match. It's far too fast to be ponderous or strategic, which is what I generally like in an area control game, but it sure is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i enjoy cave troll too, traded for it and i'm keeping it. people seem to dog it though. i've only played it with 2, and liked it the few times i've played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kahuna?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kahuna and tikal are both excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
2-p El Grande!!!
I've played many 2-player games of El Grande, using the variant posted here on BGG. Bascially, each person plays 2 colors, which are scored separately, but your LOWEST color's score is your final score.

It works VERY well, and it's a blast. Better than the 3-player game, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal works very well.
Domaine is ok, but is better with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.