GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,020 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: FedEx has delivered! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this via fedex today,
I spent a long time sorting out the cards and wondering what idiot made the insert to not hold the coppers properly and make you put some actions in the same tab. Then I realized that the I had the insert upside down laugh ah well, at least now (after switching them all up) the cards all fit nicely.
So I have yet to play, but I am sure to post up some newbie questions when I start, so in the meantime, any tips or pitfalls to avoid?
Thanks,
Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rules do a pretty good job of teaching the game. I highly recommend playing with the recommended starter set - maybe a couple times - and then moving on to some of the other recommended sets.

Make sure you play as you are meant to. Dominion is a game in which it is easy to develop "shortcuts" - not "playing" your treasure down in front of you is a common one, not putting Curses out is another, playing cards into the discard pile instead of in front of you into your play area is yet another - which usually end up meaning you have to un-learn bad habits later on when you introduce sets with more complex uses of the basic mechanics.

Pay close attention to when you shuffle your deck - it happens when you need a card from your deck and your deck is empty, not when your deck becomes empty (thus a card placed "on top" of an empty deck can become the only card in your deck).

Apart from that, have fun! For me, Dominion has been one of the most rewarding experiences to explore and understand on my own, though if you get impatient, there's a whole lot of discussion of strategy at various levels of play from beginner to obsessive.

e: Another important one - make sure you are playing the cards literally and not reading into them. Yes, a Curse is a card worth minus one point and if you buy it (for $0) it goes to your discard pile and not someone else's. No, there aren't a lot of reasons you'd do this, though there are some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Action cards are great, but treasure wins games. Buy those silvers!

Estates and coppers fill up your hand when you would rather draw actions and better treasures. If you can find a way to trash them, do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun! It's always one I love to go back to for the simplicity, and addictiveness of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the more common newbie mistakes, especially from newbies that have played other CCG's is to think that "+1 Action" means "play and resolve another action card now" when it doesn't. Carefully read all the definitions of terms in the rulebook.

A lot of rules questions can be addressed by the meta-rule: "Read the card. Do exactly what it says, from top to bottom. If there's something you can't do, don't do it; if there's something you can do only partially, do as much as you can."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
A lot of rules questions can be addressed by the meta-rule: "Read the card. Do exactly what it says, from top to bottom. If there's something you can't do, don't do it; if there's something you can do only partially, do as much as you can."

I agree that these details are worth highlighting (I've said the same thing to new Dominion owners myself) but I'd hardly call it a meta-rule since it is pretty much what the rule book says:

Dominion Rules wrote:
He announces which card he is playing and follows the
instructions written on that card from top to bottom. The player may still play an Action card even if he is not able to do everything the Action card tells him to do; but the player must do as much as he can. Furthermore, the player must fully resolve an Action card before playing another one (if he is able to play another Action card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about cards that are like plus 1+ action and +1 buy? surely I resolve that action (and possibly actions) before moving on to the buy phase?
Thanks,
Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
But what about cards that are like plus 1+ action and +1 buy? surely I resolve that action (and possibly actions) before moving on to the buy phase?
Thanks,
Seth

What he means is that if it says +1 Action, after you have finished resolving the rest of the card (for example it may then say +1 Card) then you may play another action.

The +1 Buy allows you to buy an extra card after your action phase is completely finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
Thanks,
Seth

It may help to think of it as having a pool of available Actions and a pool of available Buys. You start each turn with one in each pool. If you use an Action to play an Action card that gives you +1 Action, +1 Buy:

1. You use your starting available Action to play the card
2. You must add 1 to your available Action pool (from the card)
3. You must add 1 to your available Buy pool (from the card)

You have now fully resolved your initial Action card. If you have another Action card, you may - but are not obligated to - now play it, because you have an Action in your available Action pool. At this point, you are still in your Action phase.

If you have no further Action cards, or choose not to play another one, you finish your Action phase and move to your Buy phase, with two Buys available. As with Actions, using them is optional - you may buy zero, one or two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lab Gnome
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The number one mistake as far as strategy/winning is concerned that I see new players do is not taking advantage of trashing when it is available. Do not be afraid of trashing coppers specifically. A lot of new players think, 'But I do not want to lose the money! I need it!' But having bigger hitters like silver and gold come up instead is worth it (or more worthwhile actions)... which leads to the second biggest pitfall of the new player:

Action chaining addiction. A lot of new players overdo this, they end up drawing half their deck and having 10 actions played on their lucky turns and have little money to show for it on that turn.

As far as fun is concerned: do not fear random. Try to avoid balancing your games by custom picking things and just enjoy how random can lead to some interesting but sometimes one-sided games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.