GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,302 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Darkness Below" Mythos Card and adjacency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Darkness Below" Mythos card reads:

Requirement: Stairs or space with a Ladder

You swear you hear breathing. The lights below suddenly go out.

The keeper may place darkness in an adjacent room. Then test Willpower.

Fail: You may not move anymore this turn.

I "get" the intent of the card, but where exactly can the keeper place the darkness?

The Ladder Feature rules states that "The spaces [that have the ladder feature] are considered adjacent for movement purposes only."

So, if there's an investigator standing in a space at the top of the ladder, the keeper can't place the darkness token in the space that has the other ladder token even though the flavor text of the Mythos card suggests that that is where it should be.

Do we make an exception to the adjacency rule for this card?

And can this card be played on an investigator who is at the bottom of the ladder thereby placing a darkness token in the room at the top of the ladder (assuming that we're allowed to consider them adjacent) even though the flavor text reads "The lights below..."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this exact situation in my last game. I assumed that the "adjacent for movement only" was clear enough and did not allow myself to trigger darkness using a ladder for adjacency.

Just my interpretation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently let the investigators send Duke up a ladder. After re-reading the rules about ladders I decided this probably wasn't allowed by the letter of the rules.

Then again, it's been pointed out that Duke is a Super Dog. In the end they were going to win in 2 turns, 1 with Duke, so it didn't matter that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Driver
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Interesting; my group has always said that you HAVE to place the Darkness in the room "below" (down the ladder), even though I agree the card doesn't specify that in the rule part. Both the card title and flavor text AND the theme make it seem that it should be darkness blossoming below. Why on earth would you need to be in a room with a ladder otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.