GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for a combat mechanic - read for restrictions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice based.
2-3 dice. Preferably with custom sides.
Roll just once.
Based on other things in the game, one character will be advantaged, or the two will be tied. The combat mechanic should give a significant preference to the character that has the advantage.
Needs to allow six outcomes:
- Advantaged character killed
- Disadvantaged character killed
- Advantaged character wounded
- Disadvantaged character wounded
- Both characters wounded
- Neither character wounded or killed

Make sure the odds of the Advantaged character being wounded/killed are about half that of the Disadvantaged character being wounded.

Make sure "Neither character wounded or killed" happens less than a third of the time.

Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you roll 2 dice and count only the higher one, then you get the following probabilities:

1: 3%
2: 8%
3: 14%
4: 19%
5: 25%
6: 31%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be done with 2 regular 6 sided dice:
7=Neither hit or killed
6,8=disadvantaged wounded
5,9=disadvantaged killed
4,10=advantaged wounded
3,11=advantaged killed
2,12=both wounded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea. Two six sided custom dice, each with Attack 1, Attack 2, Attack 3, and Fumble. Attack 1 and Fumble each appear once, while Attack 2 and 3 appear twice. The disadvantaged player gets the "defender" die, and each player rolls, following the results matrix below:

The red tiles are bad for the attacker, green are bad for the defender, and yellow are neutral results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

1d12

1: Advantaged character killed
2: Advantage character wounded
3: Advantage character wounded
4: Neither character wounded
5: Both characters wounded
6: Both characters wounded
7: Disadvantaged character wounded
8: Disadvantaged character wounded
9: Disadvantaged character wounded
10: Disadvantaged character wounded
11: Disadvantaged character killed
12: Disadvantaged character killed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three normal dice:
-- Advantaged character uses 2
-- Disadvantaged character uses 1

Advantaged player rolls his two dice, and takes the highest one (call it "A". Compare that to the roll of the disadvantaged player (call it D).

if A > D+1 then Disadvantaged character killed ... 42%

if A = D+1 then Disadvantaged character wounded ... 16%

if A+2 < D then Advantaged character killed ... 6.5%

if A+2 = D then Advantaged character wounded ... 7.5%

if A+1 = D then Both characters wounded ... 12%

if A = D then Neither character wounded or killed ... 17%

A is killed/wounded about 26% (6.5% + 7.5% + 12%)

D is killed/wounded about 70% (42% + 16% + 12%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
kungfugeek wrote:
Dice based.
2-3 dice. Preferably with custom sides.
Based on other things in the game, one character will be advantaged, or the two will be tied.

2 dice are marked: red X (3 sides), blue X (1 side), blank (2 sides)
1 die is marked: red O (1 side), blue O (3 sides), blank (2 sides)

Roll 1 X die and 1 O die when there is no advantage, decide which character is red and which is blue randomly. Roll all 3 when there is advantage. Red indicates the player with advantage.

Quote:
Needs to allow six outcomes:
- Advantaged character killed

All dice have blue surfaces facing up. (no blanks or reds)
Quote:
- Disadvantaged character killed

All dice have red surfaces facing up. (no blanks or blues)
Quote:
- Advantaged character wounded

More blue surfaces facing up than red surfaces facing up.
Quote:
- Disadvantaged character wounded

More red surfaces facing up than blue surfaces facing up.
Quote:
- Both characters wounded

Exactly 1 red and 1 blue surface facing up.
Quote:
- Neither character wounded or killed

all dice are blank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cosine wrote:
1d12

Hmm... okay. Since everyone else solved this challenge and got thumbs but I got no thumbs, I'm going to guess that my solution is somehow disliked. So, what is wrong with this solution? Sincere question.

Things I liked about it;

1) 1 die to roll - easy to do, very fast, no ambiguity
2) linear distribution - no complex interpretations or odds, intuitive high is good, low is bad style
3) The disadvantage character dies or is wounded twice as often as the advantaged character.
4) Neither are hurt or wounded only 1/12th of the time
5) d12's are cool

But something must have rubbed people the wrong way to not even get a thumb out of the deal here. So, why is this bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
cosine wrote:
1d12

Hmm... okay. Since everyone else solved this challenge and got thumbs but I got no thumbs, I'm going to guess that my solution is somehow disliked. So, what is wrong with this solution? Sincere question.

Things I liked about it;

1) 1 die to roll - easy to do, very fast, no ambiguity
2) linear distribution - no complex interpretations or odds, intuitive high is good, low is bad style
3) The disadvantage character dies or is wounded twice as often as the advantaged character.
4) Neither are hurt or wounded only 1/12th of the time
5) d12's are cool

But something must have rubbed people the wrong way to not even get a thumb out of the deal here. So, why is this bad?

I actually liked it. I was hesitant to give it a thumb because the original post called for a two- to three-dice system, while yours uses just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Percentage dice (two 10-sided dice, one for the tens and one for the units) are good for situations like this. Just work out the percentages you want for each result.

I wouldn't start with a mechanic like the ones that have been suggested, because they're difficult to change by only 1 or 2 percent, and you'll probably want to do that as a result of play-testing.

After you finish the game you can exchange the percentage dice for something more elegant. For example if every percentage range is a multiple of 5% you could use a single 20-sided dice instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
cosine wrote:

I actually liked it. I was hesitant to give it a thumb because the original post called for a two- to three-dice system, while yours uses just one.

I liked it, too, and ended up thumbing you. d12's are very cool.

But kurthl33t's comments are true, too. And add to those, I didn't see how your solution involved the case where the two characters are tied (other replies didn't cover that, either). Not a huge deal.

I got interrupted in my OP and had to cut it short, but one of the reasons I want 2-3 dice is so that both players can roll a die. I know that having both roll one die vs. one player rolling both dice doesn't change the odds, but it gives players an illusion of control that I want for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
kurthl33t wrote:
I was hesitant to give it a thumb because the original post called for a two- to three-dice system, while yours uses just one.

I interpreted the "2-3 dice" restriction as an admonition to avoid having a big pile of dice for the resolution mechanic. I didn't see it as particularly excluding 1 or 4, for example. It's interesting to me that everyone else took it very literally - precisely 2 or 3 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
kungfugeek wrote:
I got interrupted in my OP and had to cut it short, but one of the reasons I want 2-3 dice is so that both players can roll a die.

Ah. I didn't interpret that it was important to have people rolling opposed. All the original post says is "resolve this combat" - it's not even clear to me that there are multiple people playing in the specifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
I was hesitant to give it a thumb because the original post called for a two- to three-dice system, while yours uses just one.

I interpreted the "2-3 dice" restriction as an admonition to avoid having a big pile of dice for the resolution mechanic. I didn't see it as particularly excluding 1 or 4, for example. It's interesting to me that everyone else took it very literally - precisely 2 or 3 dice.

Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

I should have taken the time to explain it more clearly. I'm not totally married to 2-3 dice, but the number feels right for what I'm going for. You're right in that part of the reason for the restriction is to avoid a big pile of dice, though.

Good discussion. I'm loving this feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's player-vs-player (or one player's dudes vs another player's dudes) I would much rather play a system where both players roll dice. A single roll (i.e. a single d12) makes one player feel like they aren't participating in the combat. Even though probability says the outcome should be the same, it heightens the excitement if both players are rolling dice.

However if both players have already made meaningful decisions up to this point (in trying to earn the advantage) a single die roll may feel like a resolution rather than the combat itself, and you'll be ok with a single d12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like a lot of these suggestions so far, and I'm afraid I haven't anything of sufficient depth to add. I know its very simplistic but I like the idea of being able to affect your opponents roll with a roll. So here's my idea-

1. First, the Attacker rolls a D10.
2. Then the Defender rolls a D10, but MAY roll it INTO the attackers die, thus potentially altering its result.

The attacker and defender could have different numbered dice depending on their skill etc. Maybe the Attacker could use a D10, and the Defender a D8.
With this (simple) method you still get the luck of the roll, but a little dexterity and skill is required in the actual defender's roll. And I like that the attacker goes first, with the Defender attempting to parry or counter the attack.

Too simple? Too random? 2 cents. Tuppence is tuppence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
I really like a lot of these suggestions so far, and I'm afraid I haven't anything of sufficient depth to add. I know its very simplistic but I like the idea of being able to affect your opponents roll with a roll. So here's my idea-

1. First, the Attacker rolls a D10.
2. Then the Defender rolls a D10, but MAY roll it INTO the attackers die, thus potentially altering its result.

The attacker and defender could have different numbered dice depending on their skill etc. Maybe the Attacker could use a D10, and the Defender a D8.
With this (simple) method you still get the luck of the roll, but a little dexterity and skill is required in the actual defender's roll. And I like that the attacker goes first, with the Defender attempting to parry or counter the attack.

Too simple? Too random? 2 cents. Tuppence is tuppence.

This is a neat idea. I wouldn't use it for this game, but I can see it finding a home somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon McGregor
msg tools
designer
3 dice, each showing: 2 swords (1 side), 1 sword (2 sides), skull (1 side) and blank (2 sides)

If there is an advantaged side, that side takes 2 dice as their pool and the disadvantaged side takes 1 die as their pool. Otherwise, each side takes 1 die as their pool.

Roll all dice.

* If any side rolls fewer swords than the other, that side is killed (if it rolled more skulls than swords) or wounded (otherwise).

* Otherwise, if both sides roll swords, both sides are wounded.

* Otherwise, neither side is wounded.

These rules have odds approx:

Both wounded 16%
D side killed 13%
Only D side wounded 41%
A side killed 7%
Only A side wounded 11%
Neither wounded 13%

...which makes the D side overall 1.8 times as likely to be killed and 2.12 times as likely to be wounded.

For evenly matched sides X and Y:

X side killed 9%
X side wounded 22%
Y side killed 9%
Y side wounded 22%
Neither wounded 25%
Both wounded 14%

Note that I've interpreted your constraint "A is half as likely to be wounded as D" as "after a single round, A is half as likely to have been wounded as D is" - i.e. I am counting "both wounded" into this ratio. Was that what you intended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.