Popular Tags: [View All]
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Greetings, I own a copy of TS Deluxe edition, great game, although I haven't been able to play that much, because It's kind of difficult to find gamers. Besides the classics (chess, dominoes, pachisi...) people in this country are not too exposed/ aware of the boardgaming world (language barrier is 1 of many reasons for this)

The thing is, I want to play TS, and although I prefer the face to face experience, I've decide to give it a try to the web experience.

i see there's PBEM and real time play, through Vassal and Wargameroom. I'd like to try and play in real time. The question is: for a novice web player, which plattform is better?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote would be for wargameroom. The software from this site knows the rules exactly and enforces them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played on Wargameroom and found it very easy to pick up. Your first game will probably be slower so let your opponent know before you start, just in case they don't have time for a longer session. But you'll probably find someone who's willing to show you around the interface. I also use the electronic hand Excel spreadsheet for looking up cards while I'm playing.

Really, there's no reason not to dive straight in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for wargameroom. The interface is good and the people that play there are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't tried Wargameroom, but I have played TS several times on Vassal and I've been very pleased with it. It enforces almost all of the rules, and you don't need to do a lot of setup to get started. I did run into an occasional bug, but nothing that couldn't be easily worked around.

Note: I'm not high on most Vassal modules because most of the ones I've looked at do not enforce the rules...but the TS module is an exception and is by far the best module I've played on Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargameroom for the simple reason is the program enforces the rules. It is a true point and click interface so no guesswork is involved. Community is top notch also.

After sending an email to GMT commending them for allowing most of their games on sites such as Vassal and WGR I got a reply stating when some of GMT's games become available on Apple products they will not be pulled from the two above mentioned sites. More reasons, at least for me, to support GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
come to wgr. geekmail me if you'd like some help with setup.

the only downside to wgr is you need to know the card text already (or you'll spend a lot of time clicking through the menus to see what they are). but this breeds familiarity quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Another vote for VASSAL.
The module has come a LONG way since its inception and everything's pretty darn near intuitive. Easy to pick up and a joy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal. The TS engine is fantastic in its latest format. Beautiful, easy to interface, and maintains the feel of playing on a real board very well.

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargameroom for me. The interface is fantastic and the majority of people on there are very patient and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL. The module is beautiful and does most things for you. Play is really fast and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the responses. Jajajaja, it's incredible, but the answers are not really helping me decide. Yesterday I started 2 games at wargameroom, because the first replies went that way. For different reasons we couldn't finish them.

Very good experience, although I cannot yet compare it to other form of internet play.

Out of curiosity, today I'll try Vassal, so then I could decide which one I prefer.

Very true the comments about the people that hang around Wgr, a bunch of helpful fellas.

PD: For the curious out there, the 1st.game was a total disaster, I thought I was playing against Mr. Matthews or Gupta, the dude was killing mezombie
For the 2nd. I was doing the beating, all in all a good experience. If only the users decided to put on their username an estimate of the quantity of games played, you could have an idea of your opponent skill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One benefit of wargameroom if you are in the western hemisphere (as your location tag indicates) is that you can almost always find an opponent when you want one in the chat room there during waking hours. I've found that for any game other than ASL the chat-rooms for VASSAL are under-populated -- meaning that you need to schedule a game with someone through email or a forum or something. With wargameroom you can generally play a game whenever you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls