Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope everyone here is aware of GeekSpeek
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekspeak.php3

And I am sure many people here are aware of Board Games To Go (which started out good and has become excellent!)
http://boardgamestogo.blogspot.com/

But I discovered another podcast that, at least occasionally, talks about board games. The podcast is called Dragon Page Wingin' It and can be found at http://www.dragonpage.com. The podcast is about fantasy/sci-fi/gaming and other geeky topics that many people here will find interesting. But they not only specifically mentioned board games but also mentioned Board Game Geek! (but I might have to take points off as the host said she likes Falling!).

There are also several other podcasts that can be found at that location. A new one is a spin-off of the Wingin' It called Slice of SciFi. There are a few others that are audible books.

I've only listened to a few of them, but they have been excellent.

Has anyone found any other podcasts that would appeal to us game geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, within minutes of my posting a new 'podcast' has appeared.

The "Tom and Joe" show at GameFest
http://www.gamefest.com/news/news_detail/2485_0_4_0_C/

Although it really doesn't qualify as a podcast since it is not available via an RSS feed. I hope they correct that soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the Podcast stuff but the Dragonpage one was hard to find - so much junk on that page, I couldn't find it. Oh well, no big deal - you did say they liked Falling, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
My knowledge of RSS feeds and their importance = nothing.

Can you tell me why it's needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
My knowledge of RSS feeds and their importance = nothing.
Can you tell me why it's needed?

With RSS feeds (which Podcasts are based on), the content comes to the user rather than the other way around. Just makes it easier to get content since you don't have to keep checking for new things.

So is it needed? No. Is it a really nice feature to implement? Certainly. That's why it's all over BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so how do we make the show RSS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeSteadman wrote:
OK, so how do we make the show RSS?

It already is, isn't it? I never tested it, but the link is right there at the top, right beside the "GeekSpeak" link (it is the "XML" link).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RSS is an XML based file that lists a bunch of items with links to them. They are primarily used with blogs and each post in blog also shows up as an item in the XML.

Then there are client programs (Newsgator, FeedDemon, etc..) that will read these files, compare them with the last version that was downloaded and then notify the user of the new content. Now, up to this point, we are just talking about text/HTML.

But RSS also has an attachment option, which consists of a link to a file (of any type). Someone came up with the idea of using this as a mechanism to deliver media content (I think it was Microsoft's Channel 9 videos). This media can be video or audio. But for most amateurs, producing audio content is more practical, audio has become the primary media.

Finally, someone pushed the idea to the next level and developed a client geared toward media downloads that will synch the files with their iPod (on a Mac). Thus was born iPodder (which is now available for Windows and syncs with Windows Media Player).

So, I have iPodder running all of the time and, on a schedule, it checks about 10 RSS feeds that typically contain media content (commonly known as Podcasts). Some of it is video but most is audio. I honestly think that this is the foundation for a new TV model.

Anyway, if you want, I can produce a XML file for you that will contain your first podcast, if you can get Gamefest to host it for you. All you have to do is edit the file when you produce a new poscast and anyone that has subscribed to your podcast will find it on their media player the next morning in time for their drive to work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also another descent podcast called GeeksOn

http://geekson.com/

They don't cover games regularly, but it is an entertaining show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.