Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I guess I'm being clueless here. I have tried to figure out what the Acronym FLGS means, and have not been successful. In the context it has been used, I'm assuming it refers to a Game Store, but the FL is alluding me.

Would someone please enlighten me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendly local game store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
This got me for a while myself when it first started croppin' up... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Patterson
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
We need a faq or something for all the acronyms...because I have no idea what people are talking about when they say LCR is a horrible game...no idea what LCR stands for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raintiger wrote:
We need a faq or something for all the acronyms...because I have no idea what people are talking about when they say LCR is a horrible game...no idea what LCR stands for.

LCR is the name of the game.

Based on its mechanic, it can be deduced that it stands for "Left, Center, Right"... but the fact is, when they say "LCR is a bad game", they mean "The game entitled LCR is a bad game".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3522
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCR stands for Left Center Right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

I second the need for a FAQ with the commonly used acronyms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klellingson wrote:
OK, I guess I'm being clueless here. I have tried to figure out what the Acronym FLGS means, and have not been successful. In the context it has been used, I'm assuming it refers to a Game Store, but the FL is alluding me.

Would someone please enlighten me?

For you, Viking Hobby is your FLGS

BTW, LCR = Lousy Crappy Rolling game yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Glossary on the left is a good place to start, although it has more definitions that acronyms.

As far as LCR, that is the name of an actual game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3522

The name itself is an acronym for Left Center Right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I really hate TLSs and FoLAs.

ejm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Patterson
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
thatmarkguy wrote:
LCR is the name of the game.

Based on its mechanic, it can be deduced that it stands for "Left, Center, Right"... but the fact is, when they say "LCR is a bad game", they mean "The game entitled LCR is a bad game".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3522

It never occured to me that it would be the actual name of the game.

I figured it was like PoF, PR, EE, AoS, etc. I kept on trying to fit a Lord of the Rings game in it, but none every quite fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:

For you, Viking Hobby is your FLGS

BTW, LCR = Lousy Crappy Rolling game yuk

Thank you, and I already know about Viking Hobby. There is actually a game store closer to where I live, Great Escape Games, but they carry mostly miniatures, role playing games, and CCG's, with a very small selection of board games.

I keep thinking we need a gaming store in the Elk Grove area, with the way it has grown. I have even toyed with looking in to what it would take to open a store, but I'm not sure I have what it takes to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a list a while back called abreviations:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means "I'm too lazy to type 'game store'."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Already answered, but for future refernce try here:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acron...

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually almost figured it out on my own before it was officially answered... I thought it stood for favourite local game store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually almost figured it out on my own before it was officially answered... I thought it stood for favourite local game store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klellingson wrote:
I have tried to figure out what the Acronym FLGS means

I was thrilled to see a rallying cry for support of FLGS on BGG (though surpised to see it mentioned SO often on a boardgaming site)--then I realized that I had been mentally inserted an A. But I still think it says FLAGS (Friends of Lesbians and Gays) every time someone uses the acronym.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the initials: BM for brick and mortar. OR simply "D" for Dinosaur.

BM is nice for the double entendre.

Most of these places are rip-off machines who prey on uninformed gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I prefer the initials: BM for brick and mortar. OR simply "D" for Dinosaur.

BM is nice for the double entendre.

Most of these places are rip-off machines who prey on uninformed gamers.

Foob doesn't really mean that... this is just bait cause he loves to debate with me about this and other contemporary gaming issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he he.

He's right. But he saw it and commented!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander III
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.K. lets get real.

BM shops have their place. Internet retailers have their place. Only rarely are they in direct competition (currently).

The mad bunny hammers the internet retailers in a hyperbolic fashion... I'm attempting to provide balance.

Internet retailing will never be "the only way"... simply because sociology doesn't work that way. It will grow, but then there will be a backlash (you see it here already with the folks who chime in with the "I always buy at my FLGS" and then wait for their pat-on-the-head). The mad bunny will be there for you people. Don't worry.

However, the thoughthammer model is good for gaming (DEEPLY discounted exclusive internet). The Funagain model is good (FLGS that also sells on the internet, but at a higher price than the deep-discounters). The mad bunny is good: a dude that is trying to make a living providing a service (and a product) to his faithful customers (and also selling on the internet on the side via ebay... he. he.).

It's ALL good!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just came up a few days ago too. FLGS has more commonly meant Full Line Game Store (meaning in retail speak they carry the "full line" of products). Its a variation on the retail term FLS for Full Line Store. (My source is growing up in a corporate retail family and hearing the lingo for many years. I never schooled in any such matters) For examples see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22full+line+game+s...

Of course as we know language is a living entity so definitions can change all the time. I'm guessing someone made a guess at the acronym and it stuck. It's interesting to note that the websites that use the newer def tend to be game manufacturers and game review sites:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22friendly+local+g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Foob is correct. Partially. Deep discounters, IMHO, do not add to the total growth of the gaming population. Instead, they parasitically eat into the profitability of FLGS's and non-deep discounters.

On another thread, last week or maybe earlier this week Foob made a rash statement that online discount merchants added more people than FLGS's to the gaming population and that BGG has also done more than local stores. (correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's what you said)

That is patent BS. BGG and online merchants access an existing market. Tens of thousands of gamers didn't magically appear as soon as some nerdnik with a high speed connection and a credit card decided to sell games online. Nor is BGG's growth the result of thousands of non-gamers just out surfing around and finding this fine site and being transformed.

Having been a game store owner for 23 years I have probably personally made more gamers than the entire collective of online merchants. And while BGG and other sites that provide content for gamers to access can and do add newbies to the mix from time to time, it's the pre-existing gamer population that accesses these sites, buys the games and then, like most of you, makes new gamers around the kitchen table.

I understand that Foob doesn't really believe that stores are a rip off... to believe that would mean that anyone selling anything at retail is, in effect, ripping people off. That's one or two steps removed from a communistic ideology. Whatever it is you folks do for a living, you only have a paycheck because either you or the owners who employ you make a profit. No profits? No paycheck. To believe that all who buy from your employer ought to pay up, so you can eat, and then with the same lungs shout that anyone getting retail for a game is a thief is the worst sort of duplicitous and shallow argument.

Thankfully, I'm not at all opinionated about this subject. It's not an opinion when it's factually obvious. If it's not obvious to you, then you need your lenses adjusted.

eBay

I do indeed sell on eBay. But rarely do I sell current merchandise. I am the beneficiary of my own decades of buying errors, collecting mishaps, used game trading and selling along with some out and out dumb luck. I have several tens of thousands of unsold items, out of print items, used and rare items and other assorted game junk which has now found a market in the electronic world of 7 day auctions and eBay stores. I don't promote my eBay biz here, but I am aware that a number of you have found me and are hopefully pleased when I happen to have that cool item for cheap or that rare one for a high price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
Egad! I had assumed it meant "flags", as in "I wanted to flag this message so it would index in different places." Basically, a tag for us non-programming types. I had assumed it was one of those techie things that my brain does not fathom... like /flg recent_articles or /flg gaming_profiles.

Does this make me more or less geeky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.