Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Dungeon Twister, your opinion is required...

We are giving the final touch to the English rules for DT, and, being a bunch of uneducated froggies, we are stumbling on some "finesses" of Sheakspear language.

Any suggestion appreciated...

meeple The Master of the Dungeon Twister (in the flavor rules) is a mad powerful wizard. Should we call him "Archimage", "Arch-Magus", or "High Wizard"?

meeple What is the best word for the characters flat round game pieces, "token" or "counter"?

meeple Is "Rotation Wheel" appropriate for the twisting mechanism in the middle of each room?

meeple Any suggestion better than "Wall-Walker" for the character who can pass through walls?

I'm not a very wealthy Geek but I will throw some Geek Gold for the best suggestions/help.

Stephan @ Asmodee Editions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephan,

1) "Archmage" (NOT "Archimage") or "Arch-Magus" would probably be best; "High Wizard" works but doesn't sound as fancy in English. Arch-Magus sounds more obscure/formal; Archmage would be more broadly understood.

2) If you mean the base in which one places the cardboard cutout, I would say token, but it's a tossup. A tough one, either will probably convey the meaning (depending on context).

3) Rotation Wheel is appropriate, though it sounds not quite right to my ears. I want to suggest Control Mechanism, but that's too awkward -- so I guess Rotation Wheel is fine.

4) Kitty Pryde. I was actually thinking about this while learning the game, but it's not a simple concept to capture in a single word. Wall-Walker suggests walking along the wall (like a spider) rather than through them. Stone-Walker is the only alternative I can come up with.

Hope this helps!

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Well according to dictionary.com it is Archimage and I agree that is the word to use.
2)I would use token when refering to a character piece. Counters seem to refer more to keeeping track of things like life points
3)Rotation wheel or rotation axis seems appropriate, but since I haven't had a chance to play the game, is there and actual device on the board?->then I'd use wheel. If referring to an imaginary point of rotation I'd use axis.
4)As for the Wall Walker I might refer to them as maybe a phase shifter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Saumer
United States
White Bear Township
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Master of the Dungeon Twister (in the flavor rules) is a mad powerful wizard. Should we call him "Archimage", "Arch-Magus", or "High Wizard"?

"Archmage" is my favorite of the 3 names listed, but I've always thought "Warlock" sounded cool and powerful.

Quote:
What is the best word for the characters flat round game pieces, "token" or "counter"?

I'd say calling them "tokens" is the most natural.

Quote:
Is "Rotation Wheel" appropriate for the twisting mechanism in the middle of each room?

Yes. I believe the French version called them "Gears", so "Rotation Gear" might work as an alternative.

Quote:
Any suggestion better than "Wall-Walker" for the character who can pass through walls?

I kind of like the idea of calling her "Houdini" after the escape artist.

Good Luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SentientGolem wrote:
Should we call him "Archimage", "Arch-Magus", or "High Wizard"?

Archimage is antiquated (I think). Archmage seems best to me, unless you want to go nuts and go with something like Thaumaturge (which I like very much).

Quote:
What is the best word for the characters flat round game pieces, "token" or "counter"?

I like token.

Quote:
Is "Rotation Wheel" appropriate for the twisting mechanism in the middle of each room?

I think "Rotation Gear" is better, but only slightly. I'd almost be inclined to coin a term, like "Rotater" or "Twist Gear (or Wheel)".

Quote:
Any suggestion better than "Wall-Walker" for the character who can pass through walls?

This one is tough. The character either alters her own matter or the wall's matter, so I'm inclined to incorporate that into the name. States of matter are sometimes known as "phases" in English (changes between them are technically called "phase transitions"--consider freezing, melting, etc.). Again, coined terms might be best: Phase-shifter, Stoneshifter, Transmuter/Transmutist, Fleshmorpher, Stonemorpher, Metamorph, Transubstantiater, Automorph.

These have the (dis?)advantage of perhaps introducing more questions (about what else she's capable of, most likely), but that's also true of the Magician/Wizard, who is pretty limited in the basic game but clearly has further capabilities.

Hope something of this is valuable to you. Thanks for the chance for feedback! (And by the way, this is a great game. Played it today for the first time!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Geoff, Lorna, Jason and Jon,

So far, here are the nominees :

meepleThe evil wizard is gonna be an "Archmage".

meeplePawns will definitely be called "tokens".

meepleAnd "Rotation Gear" sounds good.

We are still debating on the Wall-Walker situation.

I will keep you posted.

Stephan @ Asmodee Editions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty, Chris (Boelinger) and I are debating about the final spelling of the ugly evil terrible sad wizard responsible for the Dungeon Twister creation.

Will it be Archmage or Arch-Mage?

Stephan @ Asmodee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SentientGolem wrote:
Will it be Archmage or Arch-Mage?

Or, indeed, "Arch Mage"? Of course, that might be a mage speaking crossly....

English is riddled with exceptions to "rules" about prefix hyphenation. "Archmage" is more modern, and I believe it would be easier to argue in favor of it being technically correct (but I also think it's impossible to prove). However, "Arch-Mage" looks more archaic, and that may be exactly the ambience you're wishing to invoke. It certainly puts more emphasis on "Mage," which may again be desirable. Also, as noted above, "Arch" does stand alone at times, so this is really a matter of preference over precision, I think. Is it his title? Is it merely descriptive? Does a barber who shaves everyone who does not shave himself, shave himself?

I still prefer Archmage, for the record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jon, Archmage seems best (and is most commonly found in current fantasy games/books).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And the winner is Arch-Mage!

I spent the day in our Head Office in Paris, working on the rules with the design studio, the final file will be done tonight. We are getting close to the release....

Stephan @ Asmodee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pass
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SentientGolem wrote:

meeple Any suggestion better than "Wall-Walker" for the character who can pass through walls?

How about Ethereal? http://www.answers.com/ethereal&r=67

Specifically the "intangible" definition.

Good luck with the release BTW! When is the shipping date to us unwashed masses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Good suggestion though the game is already in press.
Dungeon Twister is due to be released on July 20th in the USA.

Stephan @ Asmodee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.