Mosse Stenström
Finland
Porvoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take 5 alt Hornochsen

I always enjoyed a quick game of 6 Nimmt!, simply because it was light and fast. True, not a very envolving game, but a nice filler. This evening, my brother J had brought his version of Take 5 with him, and we got H and A in on a game. J and H had played before, a new game for me and A.

Setup

I won't go into the rules of the game, will simply state that it is based on its predecessor 6 Nimmt! What's different from its older brother is that in Take 5, players no longer make their play all at once, but they take turns, playing between 1 and 3 cards per turn. All points (bullheads) are not negative anymore, instead there are both positive (green) and negative (red) bullheads. All cards (except the special cards) have either one or two green bullheads, or any number between 1 and 7 of red bullheads, although there seemed to be more cards with green ones. There are also two special cards, dealt to each player before game start, a +5 card (awarding an extra five positive points) and a x2 card (doubling the final positive or negative score of the player).

Game on
Our game lasted four rounds. I must say my intrest in the game faded drastically after the first round, after which I just played cards, not really planning ahead anymore. I took a beating in the first two rounds, where J collected a lot of points. Rounds three and four saw me getting a few positive points, and A catching on to the game, and collecting the big points.

Final score: A 50 pts J 64 pts (winner) H -2 pts yuk Mosse -15 pts

Verdict
Let's get it straight out in front: I don't like this game. In my humble opinion, they've taken a good game and tweaked it the wrong way. I understand that the intent was to make it more tactical or deeper, and it is. It is deeper that 6 Nimmt! But the whole concept doesn't work.

The main mechanic of both 6 Nimmt! and Take 5 - building sets of cards, and whoever places the 5th (or 6th) card collects the set - almost demands simultaneous play. And the fact that every player in this one can play up to three cards at once means that the downtime is pretty bad when having more players. J insisted that the game is better with only two players. Don't know about that, and don't know if I'll ever find out. There are too many far better two-player-games. Light and deep.

The table changes too much between turns. In a four player game, up to nine cards can be played between my turns, so planning ahead is impossible, and the downtime is spent just waiting.

I did not like the special cards either. (To tell you the truth - I very rarely find special cards in any game very good. If the mechanic of the game is good - special cards are not needed!)

If I want to play a set building card game, I'll stick to 6 Nimmt!. And if I want something deeper, I'll just play something else, and not an (failed) attempt to make 6 Nimmt deeper.

Verdict: gulp Rating: 4

This is my opinion, and I'll stick by it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.