Michael Bricker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

So after getting far too well rewarded after impulse buying Automobile about a month ago, it occurred to me and my friends that there are a large quantity of $2000 bills relative to the amount of money we actually manage to turn in the course of a game. The highest ending cash value we've seen so far was approximately $3700, and on average probably somewhere around $2100 to $2800 seems our most common results, even in a 5 player game the $2000's would never be necessary, just occasionally nice.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is: Do these values seem to imply that we're doing things really wrong? What ending amounts do you guys see?

-Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you're doing it wrong but $3700 is about the low end of most of the games I've played.

I think I've only seen more than $5000 once though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bricker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of my group (3/5 of us here right now) all just literally went "WOW." O.o

I'm rather worried that we're doing something fundamentally wrong. What's the high end you've seen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 5 player game had 4 players over $4000. I've seen over $5000 before. Most likely you're being too conservative and not building enough cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about half a dozen times and the highest I've seen was around $5,000. I have noticed that the scores seem to go up from game to game as we learn to be more efficient and predict demand better. I don't think you're necessarily doing anything wrong based on my limited experience.

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$2100 seems pretty low since the starting capital is $2000. Are you counting factories at full value at the end of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bricker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in the first game did we mess that up. Since then we've been playing that correctly, and the range has probably been even tighter in the mid-2000's than I stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you producing close to the demand on each turn for each car type?

Are people paying a lot for having loss cubes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could number of players be a factor? With less players more Distributor spaces are available for each person to sell to in addition to the demand tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bricker
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've picked up on between this thread and the game we just finished is that we do, in fact, regularly fall short of fulfilling demand. Granted, most of these are 3 player games, but it's been a rare turn where we actually didn't have any excess demand or, GASP!, too little.

Except for the last 2 turns of said game that just ended; thanks to this thread 2 of us massively overproduced in our eagerness to follow the advice herein, and wound up taking massive hits to loss cubes from over-supply. (In the realm of 16, 18, and 12, 20 cubes on turn 3 and 4, before Sloan [player 3 grabbed Chrysler]).

We'll figure it out I guess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once almost made it to $6,000.
But just once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In games I've played, the winning score is $3800 - $4200. I've seen higher scores, but wouldn't expect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Heath
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOOooo $5800 tonight baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phrosbyte wrote:
OOOooo $5800 tonight baby!
Very nice, Sean!
That's about as high as I ever got.
Let's report here when one of us breaks the 6K mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC SJWGeek
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
PC or silence!
badge
Welcome to PCSJWGeek!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post a question regarding the highest profits of winners in Automobile, but I see this topic has been discussed here already. I haven't played that many times yet, but last night I won ending up with a little over $4.800, which is one of the highest scores in our games. I think maybe once someone ended up with a little over $5.000, but a score of $4.000 or a little more is a typical score for the winner.

By the way, for the first time, we played with poker chips instead of the Mayfair edition's paper money. It's not bad quality, as paper money goes, but it's not thick enough (I'm thinking Imperial 2030) and the piles get messy very quickly. With poker chips, I felt the gaming experience was significantly more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls