Earth Reborn» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Earth Reborn - PBF Game #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first Earth Reborn Play By Forum.
All floor tiles and almost all of the token are taken from the official Map Building tool, Images of game content are uploaded with the consent of the game designer

This first post is a placeholder for the later fully constructed map and the game in progress so its easier to follow.

Our Players:

The Map

Red indicates destroyed walls/doors.
Green indicates open doors.

MP development:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Step 1: +1 for Tony, +1 for Bryce, +1 for Dragon, +1 for John, -1 for [John, Tony and Bryce], +1 Tony, +1 for Dragon, +1 for Tony, +1 for Bryce, -1 for [John, Tony and Bryce], +1 for Dragon, -1 for [John, Tony and Bryce], -1 for [John, Dragon and Bryce]

Step 2: -3 for Dragon, -3 for John, -4 for Tony, -2 for Bryce, -2 for Dragon, -2 for John, -4 for Tony, -2 for Bryce

Step 3: see Step 6

Step 4 & 5: none

Step 6: -3 for John (Sniper Rifle & Shotgun), -3 for Bryce (Titanium Claws & M7 Colt), -3 for Tony (Rifle & Smoke Grenades), -4 for Dragon (Rifle w/Bayonet & Power Fist)

MP after game setup: John & Tony 9, Bryce 11, Dragon 13

Game:
+12 for Dragon (Destroy Missiles), -5 MP for Dragon (Jessicas special ability), -2 MP for Tony (Bolters special ability)

Where are we at?
(Click on the step to go to the first post of the step)
Step 1: Building the map
Step 2: Assembling a team
Step 3: Selecting Equipment
Step 4: Deployment
Step 5: Receiving missions
Step 6: Assigning Equipment

Start the Game - Turn 1

Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-----------------------
Step 1 - Building the Map

[The map is now to be seen in the first post. This keeps down loading times for the first page.]

Door Reserve
(2 large and 4 small doors per player - MP costs are to be ignored for doors)

Tile Groups:
Any used tiles will be crossed of the list above every image. Otherwise I would have to edit the picture everytime - way to complicated. So be aware which floor tiles are gone.

I used small images of the floor tile groups to save space. Please click on an image if you want to have a closer look.

Group 1 - 4x4 wrote:
1 2

Group 2 - 3x4 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6

Group 3 - 3x3 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Group 4 - 2x4 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6

Group 5 - 2x3 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5

Group 6 - 2x2 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Group 7 - crosses wrote:
1 2 3 4

Group 8 - L-Shapes wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Group 9 - 1x4 & 1x5 wrote:
1 2 3

Group 10 - 1x2 & 1x3 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Group 11 - 1x1 wrote:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

*edit* After getting approval from Chris Boelinger I uploaded the images to BGG to make it easier.

Constructing the Map:
Begining with the starting player choose a map tile and post:
- group
- number on the image
- left or right side of the tile
- and give me a location and facing for the tile.

You may shorten it like this: 3-3-L (group 3, tile 3, left side) and description of the location.

In 4-player SAGS you either win 1 MP or every other player looses 1 MP if you place any tiles with an MP icon. Be aware of this fact

Place a door if necessary.

You may place floor tiles in advance if you can image the location of the previously placed tiles and doors. With upcoming eastern and the time zone issues it may take me some time to edit the map.

Starting Player
The starting Player will be determined with a geekroll of a 4-sided-dice:
Starting player is 1custom4{iid:973587;iid:973586;iid:973585;iid:973584} -> ( iid:973587) ->
[+]

*edit* Due to Johns holiday I ruled Tony to be the first player placing a tile so we can get started to save at least some time.

So the order for placing floor tiles is:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 19114. Torala
  • 1custom4{iid:973587;iid:973586;iid:973585;iid:973584} =
  • ( iid:973587) =
  • iid:973587
  • Starting player is
  • Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:57 pm
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a SAGS game before, so forgive me if I stumble over the rules a little. IIRC, the player chooses a tile from one group and simply places it adjacent to another tile. It doesn't really matter which group he places, does it? We don't have any "left over" tiles between placement turns, right? And we all have a Driller tile we can place at any time too?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont understand what you mean with "left over" tiles.

But you are correct: pick a tile, place it, next player chooses out of all the rest.

The sorting of tiles in groups just makes the choosing easier. If you know what you are looking for you can find it and a stack of 2x2s is easier to handle than a bunch of mixed floor tiles. (in our case it doesnt matter because we dont need to "handle" them )

And yes: everyone has a driller he can place on his turn instead of placing another floor tile. You got your driller with a geekmail I send you. Be aware: deployment isnt linked to your driller. So an opponent could place one of his characters on the driller you placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an indication of when I should pick (is it all going to be posted in this thread?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are second in line after John. We will have to wait for him, so you know where to put the tile. But as I see you already send me a geekmail with informations how to handle your pick. Thats fine.

If the guy who is supposed to place the tile before you (in your case John) chose a tile and posted a legal placement, you can just post your pick in the thread and use his choice to go on - dont wait for updates during map-construction if you can handle it without. It will be faster this way.

Its now midnight in Germany. So you can expect last updates around this time every day (since I go to bed late ) and a first update around 6 hours later when I wake up (since I get up early before work). Then it depends on my being at home or not, how many updates there are every day.

But: I have 1,5 week holidays left... so I will be able to do much updates over the next few days and we can hope to build the map fast.

Thanks again for participating in this experiment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John informed me, that he will be out of town until monday due to holidays. So we will have to wait a while longer until we can start the construction of the map.

I'm sorry for the holdup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Did his message say anything like, "I'm going out of town to tour my Missile Silo, Robot Assembly Workshop, and Office. Tell the gang to go ahead and pick some nice rooms..."? (^_-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 20210. awakeneddragon
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • come on 6
  • Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:51 am
  • [+]
  • 23016. awakeneddragon
  • 6custom6{iid:972514;iid:972511;iid:972511;iid:972512;iid:972513;iid:972517} =
  • ( iid:972514 iid:972517 iid:972512 iid:972512 iid:972517 iid:972514) =
  • iid:972514 iid:972517 iid:972512 iid:972512 iid:972517 iid:972514
  • test05232011
  • Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 am
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly: no.

I told him to pick at least a first room, so we can get started with the first 4 floor tiles, but it seems he didnt get that message in time.

If you like I could rule that Tony would be the first player for placement. It doesnt change much (start player for character selection will be radomized again) and we could at least see the first 3 rooms go down. Anything to hold the downtimes down

So - if Tony comes in: place your floor tile and any needed door(s) (I know you told me what you want already, but we have time until monday... so you can pick the location yourself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, since we don't have our missions yet, does it really matter? Can we just pick a room for him and keep moving? I know I wouldn't mind, but then again, I've not played SAGS before so not sure what the tactical importance may be of one room over another...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Communication center.

Group 1 tile 2

Stick it somewhere in the bottom right hand side of map. Face it however you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

I faced it so that you wont have to set any doors. Be aware that this is important due to your door reserve. The tile could have been placed so that you would have been forced to place 2 doors.

At later points in SAGS you could be forced to place doors and you would not be able to. You would have to pay 2 Mission Points penalty than.

And: if you are more specific the other players can set the next tiles without waiting for me

*Edit* Nearly missed it. You gain one Mission Point for this tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't we put the generator next to Communications. Group 3, Tile 2, rotate it 180 degrees and put the 2 square "open" section against the 2 square open section of the previous tile.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

*edit* Misread that. Bryce gains 1 MP.

*edit2* Just a reminder for those who have not played that much SAGS: you dont have to put every tile adjacent to the existing ones. You could start a new "building" at another part of the frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb

Hmm... 2 Technical rooms in a row...

3-1-L up (Secret Safe Room), connected to the top of the Communication Room.

That gives us an Officer section there, and I think I get 1 MP also (^_-)v
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 20209. awakeneddragon
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Come on 4
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torala wrote:
*edit2* Just a reminder for those who have not played that much SAGS: you dont have to put every tile adjacent to the existing ones. You could start a new "building" at another part of the frame.

But it has to at least be touching the frame, right? And we can always place outdoor tiles at anytime too, oui?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
3-1-L up (Secret Safe Room), connected to the top of the Communication Room.

Could you give me the exact position? There are many ways to connect the rooms:

- the opening with 1 space
- the opening with 2 spaces, the room reaching from L16 to L18
- the opening with 2 spaces, the room reaching from L17 to L19
- about 5 more possibilites to connect the rooms with adding a door which i suppose you did not intend to do

shnar wrote:
Torala wrote:

But it has to at least be touching the frame, right? And we can always place outdoor tiles at anytime too, oui?

-shnar

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
The opening with 1 space, please, so rotate CW180 (^_^)v
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 20208. awakeneddragon
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Come on 1
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

1 MP for Dragon.

I have some kind of problem with the PNG-format of the map. Sometimes it works to insert as png, sometimes I have to go around it with an jpeg... thus the change of the color of the background from black to white and back to black. Dont know how to fix that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
Honestly, since we don't have our missions yet, does it really matter? Can we just pick a room for him and keep moving? I know I wouldn't mind, but then again, I've not played SAGS before so not sure what the tactical importance may be of one room over another...

-shnar

I don't think anyone addressed this, so:

Part of the fun of SAGS is placing the tiles. Because SAGS changes some rules you have to build with those in mind. Also, because you have no idea what characters your opponents will pick (and I'm inwardly groaning that I'm 4th), you have to consider your choices versus the strengths and weaknesses of the characters... So, in that respect, going last for choices gives you quite a bit of control about affecting the final game because you can see what others do. And there are those missions to consider, too, even if they aren't in your hands!

I like how ER plays with chance and strategy: The randomness actually makes for a better game. I've never felt shafted by the draws I've gotten or my placement (though 4th is a first--and exciting in it's way!). It's hard to come away with horrible equipment, for example. The randomness feeds the variety of the game!

And now...!

We hope John finds a computer with Internet access whereever he's vacationing...

Which brings up the question, will he now be 4th in the tile placement? Or, when he gets back, will he choose 2 tiles so that the order is reistablished? (Ouch...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 20207. awakeneddragon
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • Come on 3
  • Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 am
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
Which brings up the question, will he now be 4th in the tile placement? Or, when he gets back, will he choose 2 tiles so that the order is reistablished? (Ouch...)

Yes he will be 4th. I already adjusted the order in the starting post.

awakeneddragon wrote:
Also, because you have no idea what characters your opponents will pick (and I'm inwardly groaning that I'm 4th),

Bare in mind that the player for choosing characters and again for deployment will be randomly choosen every time. So you are now 3rd in tile placement, but could be 2nd in character-choice and again 4th in deployment. You cant say yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Group 1 - picture 1 (missile room) - to the left of the topmost tile and abutting the lower tile (mod to choose orientation)

John

(sorry to be late to the party guys - but you wouldn't believe the week I've had - should be better from now on )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, lets get started!

+1 point for John.

*Edit* Fixed the error I made.

Floor Tile Group 1 is in red now to show that all tiles are used. Keep in mind that you may place doors even if not necessary.

Btw: I hope you all have good internet connections... This PNG is getting big. But i fear we wouldnt be able to play if I would shrink it.

Yellows turn - go ahead Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group 6 Tile 4

Toilet side up

Double size opening lined up against the double opening in the secret safe room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
mb
John, welcome to the party (and I see you brought a BIG party favor!).

And--the toilet appears! ("Hey, where's the head?" "It's down that hallway, around the corner. Do NOT open any other doors!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 20206. awakeneddragon
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • come on 6...
  • Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.