Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Automobile» Forums » General

Subject: Being snarky but how many of y'all think the Mayfair board is ugly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was surprised I hadn't seen this thread started yet, so I took it upon myself to be the fly in the ointment, cause I certainly think its one ugly messy board. I suspect that I will appreciate the functionality of the board after a few more plays, but visually its an ugly mess of competing visual vocabularies.

Our host, also an architect, had a similar opinion, but the other guys at the game night didn't seem to have a strong feeling about it one way or the other. In comparison to the original board I guess the Mayfair version is better, but I'm not gonna give Mayfair's Professional Graphic designer credit for barely surpassing a bad amateur job...

/endrant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like the board, actually. It adds a lot to the theme, and is very functional. My only gripe is that the low end cars are silver bordered, and the mid-range are brown bordered. Seems like that should be reversed with the high-end in gold. Small gripe. Love this game, and glad I could get a reprinted copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Automobile has inherited the "Medici Curse". Every version is doomed to look terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so its not just me on Medici also...good to know cause that's the one thing keeping me from buying that game also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
I rather like the board, actually. It adds a lot to the theme, and is very functional. My only gripe is that the low end cars are silver bordered, and the mid-range are brown bordered. Seems like that should be reversed with the high-end in gold. Small gripe. Love this game, and glad I could get a reprinted copy.

I agree...and I think the brown bordered idea is a bad idea given the brown background....

Personally I also think it would be more functional without all the drop shadows and stuff. I think that the board would have looked much better if they tried to mimic look of boardgames from the 50's and 60's instead of trying to add a "3D" look to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main beef is the functionality of the Mayfair board. It lacks the useful labels and descriptors (e.g. turn sequence, powers of characters) on the original Treefrog version - these have been replaced by pictures and symbols which require you to refer to the rulebook to figure out what they mean, the first few times one plays the game. Another issue was the colour coding - instead of variations of brown and gray for both car types AND phases / actions, they could have used other colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original had amateurish graphic design. The new one looks less amateurish. It's still crummy, but it looks like professional crummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The original had amateurish graphic design. The new one looks less amateurish. It's still crummy, but it looks like professional crummy.

I'd say that it's prettier, but I'm not sure it's more functional.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look ugly to me, just very "busy". At first, it was somewhat intimidating, but now that I've played a few times, I appreciate the functionality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both boards are okay. They are functional. There is nothing terribly dysfunctional to drive me crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Our host, also an architect, had a similar opinion
Interesting. My opinion on this board, expressed multiple times now in different threads, is that this board has a very bad information architecture. A good board design should help reinforce the phases, stages and flow of the game. This board doesn't do that. To echo Barticus, they just put lipstick on this pig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beverly Bowers
Canada
Lake Country
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to purchase the version of the game as shown in "Snowbird Swan's" video - I like the tiles for cash instead of paper money, and I think the board is much better than the Mayfair version.
Anyone want to sell? I'll make you a very good deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gene velasco
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I have always liked the original board, with it's contrasting colors and beautiful car illustrations. The new Mayfair board is UGLY, and much harder to use.

Incidentally, the player colors on the car pieces are much more difficult for color blind players (like me). There have been many threads on this subject in the past, but one more time: board designers, consider color blindness when choosing your colors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Not ugly, but poorly conceived in terms of visual cues. I'm sure it's difficult for publishers to decide when it's better to make a board language independent, but I'm not a fan in this case. I'd have been happier with a cleaner design or labels, even if it retailed for a few more $. Given Martin Wallace's reputation, and the number of markets they probably sell this in, it doesn't surprise me that they tried to cut costs.

How hard for example, would it have been to use gold/silver/bronze for luxury/mid/economy instead of gold/brown/grey? Minor, I know, but one of many design choices that could have been done better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Czarne's art for Rise of Empires and Planet Steam, but I'll happily play my Treefrog edition forever...and yes, I groused about the Treefrog edition for the use of an ochre background and pink boxes.

The Lookout/Mayfair board is different, not an improvement - and I like it not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Mellor
United Kingdom
London
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its really ugly and distracting to play. Which is quite a feat considering the old version was ugly.

It looks like someone with talent got their first commision and wanted to cram every possible thing on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ill6 wrote:
Its really ugly and distracting to play. Which is quite a feat considering the old version was ugly.

It looks like someone with talent got their first commission and wanted to cram every possible thing on the board.
Fixed that for you. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the Mayfair board a little garish. To be honest though, I'm not sure if their garishness is that much worse than the uninspired muddy "dark fantasy" so typical of FFG etc.

I defiantly prefer the original layout. I'm also a little confused as to why Mayfair would change to location of the different roles. It makes sense to keep them to the other turn order so that you can slide the disks over a shorter area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Pantti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I think that the original board is ugly as hell. Might even say fugly.

The new one looks pretty classy and actually the nice graphic layout caught my eye in the first place, before knowing that much about the game. Of course it's crowded and looks a bit intimidating for new players, but I found it pretty functional after 1st playing session. I definitely think this new edition looks better than most games, for example Ticket to Ride which has been thanked for it's production values, has a pretty ugly board.

I'm a professional graphic designer (also with game art experience) myself, so I guess it's a matter of taste. I just like the brownish look in general, fits the historical theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls