Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
155 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Caylubration 2! Partake in an International Caylus Celebration, May 16-22, 2011. Play! Spread the Caylus Love! Win! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylubration II: The Provost Strikes Back

This event is now over with the winners announced here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6846654#6846654

Thanks everyone for participating! Please come back next year in the third week of May 2012, for Caylubration 3!!

Join the Caylubration! An International Caylus Celebration! May 16-22, 2011!

What is it?
An event to promote the playing of this great game. Rekindle your love of this classic, give Caylus a second shot or learn this masterpiece of a board game for the first time. This post is an online pledge to see how many people we can get to play this game around the world (almost) simultaneously.

Why?
To show your love for Caylus or for all great games, to raise awareness of this great game and to encourage others to know the gaming goodness that is Caylus!

Fabulous Prizes!
And if that is not enough to win some easy geek gold. I am going to give away, from my own personal stash 100 GEEKGOLD to one random participant of the Caylubration! Plus any tips that are donated, so throw some GG in the tip jar if you want to support the cause.

BUT WAIT THERE"S MORE. The lucky caylubration winner's name will also be immortalized in an example in a future TBA How to Play episode. Wow, what a dream come true.

THREE copies of Caylus will be given away to nonowners of the game courtesy of Lee Harris and Terry Furness.

Americans can enter to win here - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6697238#6697238

Europeans can enter to win here - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6697240#6697240

Australians and New Zealanders can enter to win here |(minimum of 10 entrants or game will not be given away) -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6764954#6764954

If anyone else is willing to donate any more prizes to make this event even better, that would be fantastic.

How can I participate?
Sign this online pledge to vow on your honor as a gamer that you will play at least one game of Caylus online at BSW or in real life, that week. That's It! Bring Caylus to your local game night, tell your friends, they can all sign the pledge. Anyone can get in the fun!

This event is now closed, come back next year of May 2012 for Caylubration 3!

Interested in learning or getting better at Caylus?
Listen to Episode #15 of the How to Play Podcast all about Caylus; available at www.howtoplaypodcast.com or on itunes
Or take your game to the next level with the just released Episode #15W of How to Play called "How to Win Caylus" with advanced strategy.

What If you have never played the game before? I suggest either...

A - Ask someone in your game group to teach you the game or
B - Learn the game from the HTP podcast and give it a try on Brettspielwelt. I give more details about this on How to Play Podcast Episode 15 or
C - Learn the game from HTP and teach it to others in your game group...

So Sign up today for....
Caylubration II: The Provost Strikes Back

May 16-22, 2011: International Caylus Celebration Week

Catch Caylus fever today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Adams
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed out last year, so I'm glad it's coming around again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even heard of the first one. Oh well.

Anyhow, I've been back at BSW playing it (among other games), and am still GMing the event at the WBC. (Come to think of it, I think I've seen you there.)

Nice to see I'm not alone in enjoying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything for an excuse to play Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Hoopes
United States
Clinton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad to see you doing this again. I didn't listen to the Caylus episode until after the first Caylubration and I thought it was a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to get a game of Caylus under my belt, this is the excuse I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoyed the Caylabration so much last year that I now own a physical copy of the game and look forward to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited! This year I'm going to have to work around my grad school schedule, but I'm looking forward to year II.

I'll have to check out the new advanced strategy podcast Ryan just put out, last year I got destroyed on BSW (but had lots of fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely partake in a game of Caylus that week, probably a few games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, has it been a year already?!?

I'm definitely going to Caylubrate since it's almost a year from discovering this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Rastapopoulos
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas.

As the winner of last year's first International Caylubration, I must say (sniff) that it is bittersweet to pass this randomly-awarded laurel crown to my successor. Ryan Sturm, you should know that I have tried to be an honorable ambassador of all that is Caylus. I hope you won't mind if I take a bit of space to offer some advice from my own experience to the next chosen one:

Understand the responsibility that comes with winning the International Caylubration. You must shepherd newcomers and educate them as to what makes Caylus special. At times you'll find yourself flooded with questions from eager seekers of the truth. I won't lie. The burden can be a heavy one, but try to be patient.

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5567698#5567698

Don't let the intense media spotlight that will soon bathe you 24-7 as a result of this award go to your head. While it is okay to announce yourself as the current 'How-to-Play Caylubration-Ambassador' each and every time you sit to play a game of Caylus, indeed during any other game as well, you should know that your friends and/or spouse may soon tire of concession statements such as, "Though you've bested me at Caylus this once, it changes not the fact that I AM THE WINNER OF THE INTERNATIONAL CAYLUBRATION, SUCKA."

Nay. Caylus teaches us that humility is a premium virtue.

100+ Geekgold is a fair amount of jingle for anyone's pocket. Of course, in my day when the Caylubration was a humbler affair (i.e., last year), the award was a measly 21.26 GG not really about the extrinsic winnings, but rather knowing in your heart that you among all others were chosen. Albeit randomly.

So be generous. You'll now be in a privileged position to "spread the wealth around" amongst the many Caylus groupies aficionados you will soon find at your side, orbiting you as it were, like cold lonely little moons. You must not look down on them. You must not withhold your light. Nor should you ply them with alcohol and offer them 21.26 Geek Gold to join you in your room at BGG Con for a private "Caylubration".

In closing, in order to mark this passing of the torch, I really wanted to include the perfect quotation to inspire the next winner. First I had prepared a selection from Ecclesiastes. Something about planting and sowing. It was classy. But then I remembered an even more apt piece from Alfred Lord Tennyson's Idyls of the King, that passage from The Passing of Arthur about the old order changing and giving place to the new, and how the whole world is bound in gold chains about the feet of God. But then I thought, well that's just weird.

Instead, I decided to go with Terry Jacks from his song that became the largest-selling international single by a Canadian artist.

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the wine and the song,
like the seasons, all have gone.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the stars we could reach
were just starfish on the beach.

Whoever you are, next Caylubration winner, I wish you good luck. May the crown rest easy on your brow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb
Consider my fiance and I part of the Caylubration! We'll see if we can't introduce this great game to a few new players as well just to spread the love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just traded for this game about a month ago. I taught my wife and one of my boys to play. I think it is my new top game. I enjoy playing on BSW under the same name. lol you guys are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darlene Hochgreve
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vow to be enjoying Caylus with my gamer friends,and hopfully WINNING (although losing is fun too!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamburlain, that was flippin' hilarious. My only hope is that our next Champion shall be as worthy to the title as yourself.

I pray you are able to rediscover yourself after your former Caylubration glory days hath left you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m in too! Caylus should get more praise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't every day be a Caylubration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned it this year, loved it and will be joining in the caylubration!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as I play Caylus (almost) nightly on BSW anyway.... Guess you can count me in!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Can anyone find a cheap copy available online in the USA. If so I would be willing to pay for it and have it sent as a prize within the US as part of this caylubration. Obviously it would have to go to someone who does not own the game but could be persuaded to take part in this somehow

I am trying to trade for copies with a few games I dont want here. If successul I will also send at least 1 if not 2 copies out within Europe as prizes.

I will try to think of a good way to do this, but feel free to add your own ideas, and Ryan too*

*If this doesn't get me a shoutout on HTP podcast, then nothing will!

Lee: A shoutout earned , I'll be in touch to work out some details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found two places for under $36

Miniature Market.com
Fair Play Games

The BGG marketplace has some $20 used ones as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Definitely in! Not 1 game, not 2 I want to play at least 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caylubration 2 will be celebrated in Austin. Had a warm-up game last night! We're ready to pass the Caylube!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I've never played it? How can I celebrate, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
What if I've never played it? How can I celebrate, too?

By playing Caylus, duh!
OP wrote:
Rekindle your love of this classic, give Caylus a second shot or learn this masterpiece of a board game for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.