A solitaire version that creates a number of interesting options and ways to explore the strategies in the game.
1. Create a Winston deck draft. You get 2 decks with about even number of cards.
2. Play each of the two decks, using only the cards from that deck, set the other cards aside.
3. Use other solitaire rules where you can choose any number of actions discarding 3 cards for the 1st action and 2 cards for each additional action. You only get 1 bonus each round.
4. Go through the partial deck twice and then the round is over.
5. Do the same with the other partial deck.
6. Total the scores for the two decks together for a final score.
7. Now you can replay the decks to try and beat your score or start again.
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
I see that this thread has long been out of use (never used, actually), but I'll knock and see if anyone is still there...
March has been a really tough month in terms of getting games on the table. Our first baby was born mid-February, and we are slaves to her every whim at this point. While sleep is still more valuable than gaming (my, how times have changed!) I did just buy RftG at about the same time as she was born, so I have been pining to play this. This morning I woke up thinking, "I wonder if there's a solo player variant on BGG?" So here I am, and I'm so glad you are here!
Help me figure this out...
1) What is a Winston draft? (You don't have to explain it, just please post a link to where I can research it.)
2) So I am playing 2 separate games/rounds with the base game contents divided in half?
3) Am I getting this? I still get 1 action (so only 1 per turn) unless I pay cards to get a bonus action in a turn? For the bonus action I must pay 3 cards (in addition to any cards I play in the course of the action)? Man! I have a hard enough time amassing cards in the regular game; I doubt I will be taking many bonus actions.
6) So, the end condition is changing to "spend the deck wisely" instead of "race to get your planets played"?
7) "Replay the decks" as is? Or am I redrafting first?
I'm desperate. I will give this a try, and just hope that the lack of action/thumbs on this thread is no measure of its worth. (Maybe it's just thematic--all by yourself in a solo thread?) I don't know the game well enough yet to forecast the results of this at a glance.