Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
315 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

Basic Dungeons & Dragons» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: ToEE - Chapter 1: The Village of Hommlet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Start by reading the History of Hommlet adventure log entry.

All of this is lifted straight out of the original adventure and is meant to serve as the players' background. Given that most of you are fairly young, this is all before your time and thus most of you will have little to no real knowledge of the details so feel free to create your own misunderstandings or interpretation of all this, or to be as oblivious of it as you like.

If you have been formally trained at the Abbey (i.e., religious training), you likely have heard the histories but again, choose how much you remember. The only person is definitely knows all of this is Celadon since what he doesn't remember from his lessons, the Archbishop will have reminded him in his briefing.


It is the 27th of Mai. For the past 3 weeks you've been traveling first west from Dyver along the Velverdyva River (traveling by river barge) to Verbobonc, and then south from Verbobonc into the green, verdant, rolling Kron Hills along a well-worn road. The last part of the journey has been especially taxing, with the road winding back and forth along wooded valleys and over steep ridges (some rising more than a thousand feet) and hills. Cresting yet another ridge, you finally spy your goal: The rural village of Hommle, lying nestled along the bottom of a wide valley. A stream winds its way along the bottom of the valley, and along its banks the village, with its Fachwerk or field stone constructed houses, has been built.

Ahead, lying perched at the edge of the hill you've just reached the top, lies a two-story stone church of rather impressive size given the tiny village it presides over. Although the foundations and stonework of the church are clearly several decades old at least, the massive stained-glass window that dominates the vestibule depicting St. Cuthbert blessing fields of wheat clearly has been added much more recently - in fact a pair of workmen on scaffolds are still installing several of the panes.

The road you're on passes directly by the church before heading down the hill in to the village proper.


Okay, feel free to start posting. It's fine to start with some opening banter to set the tone and gets things going. Once you've settled on a "plan" let me know where you'd like to go.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well my friends it seems as if we have arrived at our location. I think the best course of actions is for me to attend to my primary mission at the church up ahead. Does anyone else have any ideas?"

Celadon returns to quiet reflection as they continue down the road.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carline
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric just nods his head in agreement.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabian stifles a large yawn, taking a moment to glance up from the open book in his hands. The amount of time he spends pouring over his spellbook, one would think he had more than two spells contained within. Casting a furtive glance around, he groans inwardly at the mention of the church. Great...another boring speech, he thinks. Although, seeing it as an opportunity to get a nap in, he thinks the idea may not be too horrible.

Eh, a stop by the church may not be too bad. I imagine they have a few large pews that would do for a makeshift bed. Or perhaps a tavern..yes, a tavern would do nicely, as well.

Fabian will glance around the village and fields; searching for a nearby soul who could direct him to the best local drinking spot. He was sure a good story or two could net some free drinks.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sounds like a good idea !", cheerfully says Timon. Seems like a good place to learn about my medallion.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknown Ediology wrote:
Fabian will glance around the village and fields; searching for a nearby soul who could direct him to the best local drinking spot. He was sure a good story or two could net some free drinks.

From atop the hill, Fabian can see the spread of the village and near the crossroads a large building he presumes is an inn or roadhouse but it's at least a five minute walk from here.

Heading towards the vestibule of the church, the group is greeted by a young, portly novice dressed in the light blue working robes of the church - apparently he had been supervising the workers from the shade afforded by the scaffolding. His hair has been neatly tonsured. "Ah well met strangers! Have you come perhaps seek guidance or advice? Those in need are always welcome within Morrow's house."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MJ Harnish wrote:
"Ah well met strangers! Have you come perhaps seek guidance or advice? Those in need are always welcome within Morrow's house."


"Greetings brother, my name is Celadon. Very beautiful work if I may so. Some of the nicest I have seen." Dusting off his traveling clothes.

"Might you be kind enough to point me in the right direction? I wish to speak with Mother Y'Day and would also like your recommendation on good accommodations in Hommlet."

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He beams broadly at the first comment. "Yes, beautiful. Canon Terjon has great taste!" but then his face falls as Celadon asks his first question.

"Errr, I see you have not heard the news. Mother Y'dey went missing in Februar. She disappeared one night and has not been seen since. Canon Terjon was assigned by Bishop Malveux to take over the parish until Mother Y'dey returns, Morrow bless her soul. You will want to speak to him, although he does not normally grant audiences or indulgences until after the midday meal."

"As far as accommodations, I can heartily recommend the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Ostler and his wife keep a fine inn and tavern with what many travelers consider the best food between Verbobonc and the broken coast. It's just down the road, across the ford, and on the right. You shan't miss it."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabian's ears perk up a bit at the mention of the midday meal, and then again at the mention of the Inn. A small smile dares to curl the edges of his lips as he leans in towards the conversation/ What's this I hear? Midday meal? Why, we'd be delighted to stay and break bread with the Canon Terjon. So kind of him to offer a meal to his fellow brother, and his brother's traveling companions. Now, you tell the Canon we'd be delighted to accept his offer! Fabian put on his warmest, most charming smile as he patted the young acolyte on his back, as if sending him on his way to the Canon.

Fabian felt a meal here was much better than a meal after more walking. Besides, the time saved from walking could be spent in better pursuits; such as napping.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Briefly, Lisorel regards the design of the Church reflecting on the naive but energetic architecture of human buildings, compared to the living cathedrals of her people. Then her attention begins to wander, and she looks in the direction of the Tavern before pausing to see the reaction Fabian's words would provoke.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Timon thinks to himself : Hmm, this Terjon guy seems like the right guy to ask about my medallion... And did I hear free meal ?
"We'd surely be honored to have lunch with the Canon !", naively adds Timon, who didn't quite follow the conversation until Fabian tried to get them all invited to the Canon's table.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Knox turns a wry smile. Fabian, if you spent half as much time on that fancy book of yours than you spent thinking about your belly, you'd be a richer man.
Within earshot of the acolyte And I guess that message you're carrying from that Bishop Mal someone will have to wait. I really don't see what the urgency was
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabian replies to Knox with a small laugh and a smile of his own. Why, tis not my belly I'm thinking of! Oh, no! Rather, I am merely thinking of how devastated the Canon would be if we declined his rather gracious invitation! Oh, the stories I could tell you of so many wars started over less. Why, I'm merely trying to ensure an amiable relationship between wondrous Dyvers and this most beautiful Hommlet!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly surprised by the turn of conversation, the novice stammers "Errr, dinner with the canon? I don't think the canon would like to host a dinner party, err I mean to say, at least with so little notice. I'm sure he'd be willing to dine with those who were benefactors to our modest church though. Perhaps you'd like to come back this afternoon and discuss the matter with him?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Celadon looks to the novice as he stammers his way out of Fabian's imposition.

"Sadly, I am aware that something here is a miss with Mother Y'dey, may Morrow bless her and return her safely. I wish to speak to the Canon about the situation. If he will not see us until after midday meal, Morrow's will be done."

Celadon reaches and gingerly places his hand on the holy symbol around his neck.

"Well my friends, shall we retire to the village for a meal and to rest our weary feet?"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The novice's eyes widen again. "I am sorry brother, I did not recognize you as one of the clergy, what with your traveling garb and all! I am sure Canon Terjon would be interested in speaking with you since you're obviously here on official business, although I can't extend an invitation for dinner to the rest of your, errrr, servants. Perhaps they could secure lodging at the inn while you speak to the canon?"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Thank you brother for your cooperation, it is indeed appreciated."

Celadon turns to his traveling companions. "My friends, I will take my leave to speak with the Canon. Church business must be attend too. I shall meet up with you here a few hours hence. Brother Eric, will join me as well?"

Turing back to the novice, "May we proceed so that my friends here may head into the village to fill their belly's? Oh, how some of them enjoy their meals!"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabian gives a slightly undignified harrumph as he raises his nose towards the air. Yes, let us be gone from here. My talents would obviously be wasted on these stiff-necked souls. They wouldn't know a good story if it bit them on the rump. The town-folk will be much more appreciative! With a sly smile, Fabian turns to trudge off towards the inn.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lisorel sighs slightly. I for one am ready for the Tavern. Hopefully there is more action and less talking there. She sets off with the "ungodly" towards the Welcome Wench.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poncy clerics with their 'holier than thou' attitudes says Knox following the trend towards the shifty looking inn whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Timon desperately tries to get invited to the Canon's table...
"Well, see you, my friends ! Enjoy the inn, and don't forget to reserve our chambers too, I wouldn't want to sleep out in the wild one more night... Leave it to us, we'll deal with the Canon !", says Timon while awkwardly trying to sneak behind Celadon and Eric...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carline
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric follows Celadon.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume that Celadon, Eric, & Timon follow the novice in, while the rest head to the inn. First up, the canon; inn to follow this evening.

The novice started around the side of the church and was almost to the rectory door before he noticed Timon. "Oh, is this the knight's page? I didn't know halflings were being admitted in to the order now," he says and then turns to enter the small, brass bound door that lead into the squat, square building that stood behind the church.

The rectory's interior is a simple, though well-decorated house; the novice leads you directly to a sizable dining room which dominates one side of the building and enters, leaving you at the door to wait for a few minutes before re-emerging and ushering you in. The room beyond is hardly ornate, although well-decorated and seems to be in the process of being remodeled as several of the walls have had fresh plaster applied to them and are still awaiting paint. A rotund, red-nosed, middle-aged man dressed in the deep crimson daily vestments of a canon (versus the normally more subdued colors worn by parish priests) is seated at the end of a 2 meter long oak table, spreading what looks like pate on some thick slices of bread. He takes one final bite, wipes his hands and mouth on a cloth napkin, and motions towards the other chairs.

"Ah come in, young acolyte! And I see you've brought a few retainers as well. Brother Calmor said you were on church business but couldn't provide your name or credentials" he says, glancing balefully at the novice for a moment. "How may I help you?"


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Celadon says on a quiet voice tot he novice "The halfling is a long story."

Celadon steps forward as if on command. Following the Canon's inquire of Celadon "Good day to you Canon. My name is Celadon Darvus and I and my companions hail from the Church in Dyvers." Celdaon says with a respectful nod of the head.

"Archbishop Iraseday has sent us here to inquire into a message Mother Y'Dey had to sent to the Archbishop several months ago. Sadly, the Archbishop has grown concerned about the content of the message. Can you tell us more of the disappearance of Mother Y'dey and of the rise in banditry on the area?"

Celadon respectfully takes a step back and quietly awaits the Canon reply.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Harnish
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
You should be playing Dungeon World
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The canon takes a deep breath, exhaling it slowly "Ah, yes, Archbishop Iraseday, I have meant to write him but getting the affairs of the church in place have taken a great deal of my time so far. Bishop Malveaux asked me to step in for Mother Y'dey after she disappeared; we cannot leave the flock unshepherded for too long. I'm afraid I cannot say much about the Mother's disappearance, may Morrow bless her soul. She apparently disappeared from the church a few months ago without warning. The village's residents thought she might have just gone in to the wilderness on a retreat but when she did not return after a few days they grew worried and sent a messenger to Verbobonc. I've done my best to get the church's affairs, both spiritual and financial, in order in preparation for her return but I fear something foul may have befell her."

"As for the bandits, there has been some talk of increased attacks on travelers and caravans, although I have not witnessed any attacks personally and you cannot always trust the local rumor mill. Perhaps Mother Y'dey did indeed go in to the woods on a spiritual retreat and ran afoul of these bandits though."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.