GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,150 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Extra dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
How many dice/player would you recommend? 6? 10?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
4-ish, I've got my game tricked out with four-10's per color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
4-ish, I've got my game tricked out with four-10's per color.

Yep...sounds about right....

I bought a couple of packs of d10's that came in a couple colors... It's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Really? Not enough to roll a whole complement of fighters on a carrier even?

That saves me some money

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use set of somewhat 15 dices. After battle everyone is obliged to return them to dicepool. Therefore you don't need so many of them and you always know where they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Furió Ferri
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use 100 dice in 10 different colours (so, 10 dice per colour).

Each color refers to a certain combat value:

For example, red dices are used for combat values of '6'.

Continuing with the example, these red dices have the numbers 6,7,8,9 & 0 painted in red, so players can easily read when there is a 'hit', inmediately after the dice roll.

Also, we use a "space battle/invasions mat". When a space battle occur, the players place their ships over the mat (two dreadnoughts would be placed in the space numbered '5' of the mat).

Then, the players apply the bonus/malus mods (if these two dreadnoughts would be Jol-Nar, they would be moved to space numbered '6' of the mat).

When all ships are placed, players take the dice needed (qty. and colour), and roll'em (at the same time).

It's easy to count how many hits each army does: each dice with the number in red is an impact.

Players remove casualties, take the corresponding dice, and the next round begins.

Each battle is fought in less than 1 minute.

I could upload some images for explanation if needed...

Thx!

Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see an example. I use a bunch of random D10s that I was able to scrounge up from my RPGing days. I've always wanted to update my dice though. I had considered getting dice for each ship type, but the way you base it off of combat vaules makes a lot more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Furió Ferri
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I'll post all ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
el_furi wrote:
We use 100 dice in 10 different colours (so, 10 dice per colour).

Each color refers to a certain combat value:

For example, red dices are used for combat values of '6'.

Continuing with the example, these red dices have the numbers 6,7,8,9 & 0 painted in red, so players can easily read when there is a 'hit', inmediately after the dice roll.

Also, we use a "space battle/invasions mat". When a space battle occur, the players place their ships over the mat (two dreadnoughts would be placed in the space numbered '5' of the mat).

Then, the players apply the bonus/malus mods (if these two dreadnoughts would be Jol-Nar, they would be moved to space numbered '6' of the mat).

When all ships are placed, players take the dice needed (qty. and colour), and roll'em (at the same time).

It's easy to count how many hits each army does: each dice with the number in red is an impact.

Players remove casualties, take the corresponding dice, and the next round begins.

Each battle is fought in less than 1 minute.

I could upload some images for explanation if needed...

Thx!

Miguel

I love this idea.
Can you upload the mat please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Furió Ferri
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is: the space battle map

It features:

- TWO big columns: left for attacker, right for defender (not necessary).
- TEN little rows: one for each combat value, from '0' (up) to '1' (down).
- Examples of ships are drawn in the respective space (war suns in the '3', dreadnoughts in '5', etc.)
- For each combat value, players roll a different colour dice. For example, "standard war suns" (with no mods) would roll 3x yellow dice each.

At the start of the battle, players place their ships in the "standard" row. Then calculate the bonus/malus, and, according to that, re-place them. Next, each player takes the number and colour dice needed. They make the dice roll, and in a few seconds the results are shown. Easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
el_furi wrote:
Here it is: the space battle map

It features:

- TWO big columns: left for attacker, right for defender (not necessary).
- TEN little rows: one for each combat value, from '0' (up) to '1' (down).
- Examples of ships are drawn in the respective space (war suns in the '3', dreadnoughts in '5', etc.)
- For each combat value, players roll a different colour dice. For example, "standard war suns" (with no mods) would roll 3x yellow dice each.

At the start of the battle, players place their ships in the "standard" row. Then calculate the bonus/malus, and, according to that, re-place them. Next, each player takes the number and colour dice needed. They make the dice roll, and in a few seconds the results are shown. Easy!

Would it be possible for you to submit a scan of this to the file section?
What size is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Furió Ferri
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just been uploaded to Files section!

(But it's pending approval)

It's A4 size, double-sided.

But, if I remember well, I printed it on A3, double-sided (reverse side is prepared for ground invasion combats...).

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, Maybe I'll mod my battle map if there's interest.

You can buy Precision d10 unpainted and ink them your self with the colors needed.
They would cost a bit more than other brands, but the unpainted one are cheaper.
That's all we roll with anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fargofootball wrote:

You can buy Precision d10 unpainted and ink them your self with the colors needed.
They would cost a bit more than other brands, but the unpainted one are cheaper.

I say do it. Both yours and el_furi's are solid products and will be of interest to players.

I am leaning toward your board but el_furi's system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you folks find such deals on dice that you can afford 100 of them in 10 colored sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking earlier today, and I'm finding that the cheapest I can go is around $70 for a set of 100 die in 10 different colors...

Technically, you only need 9 sets though, any too hits of 1 or higher are automatic hits anyway so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, about what the game itself costs at an online discounter. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Where do you folks find such deals on dice that you can afford 100 of them in 10 colored sets?

At the KublaCon game convention in the San Francisco area over the Memorial Day weekend (and many others all over the world).

I will walk up to the dice booth in the dealer's room and rummage through a 2 foot cube of dice. IIRC it is around $8 or $10 to fill a pint sized cup with your dice of choice.

Naturally these won't be precision dice and I may not find ten of each color, but I am okay with that and I will be back again next year and the year after that, ad infinitum. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron Kurtz wrote:
I was looking earlier today, and I'm finding that the cheapest I can go is around $70 for a set of 100 die in 10 different colors...

Technically, you only need 9 sets though, any too hits of 1 or higher are automatic hits anyway so...

You can order straight from Chessex for $.55 for each die (solid opaques), plus shipping of course. I called my order in and the guy I worked with was great.

Really no need for 10 of each color either - how often do you roll more than a few for any one value? I wouldn't bother with more than 6 per color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it is the Chessex booth at the con that I mentioned before.

I simply brain-farted on the company name when replying earlier. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
Fargofootball wrote:

I say do it. Both yours and el_furi's are solid products and will be of interest to players.

I am leaning toward your board but el_furi's system.

Tell ya what, I have TI3 Shards on pre order, and I want to wait to add those units if I can find the silhouettes.

The ones I uses were from Vassel. Any chance insiders might know if TI3 Shards is being added to Vassel?

Wonder what color scheme as far as dice/number would be preferable (light to dark?) and what brand dice look best and where pics of them might be found.
I'll be going Precision most likely if I find 10 colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for Shards makes sense.

I would not expect a VASSAL update immediately, but I can wait until it does eventually happen. You could always post what you have and update it later.

As for color, my pref is for less. The only colors I might consider adding to your battle board would be to make the numbers 2-10 the same color as the d10 you chose to use for that number as a reminder.

If there was a battle board for ground combat, I would be more receptive to color, but not for the depths of space. (IMO) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a file posted. But the new one will be better (I hope,lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Furió Ferri
Spain
VALENCIA
VALENCIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you don't need 10 dice per colour:

- Ships with combat value '1' make auto-hit, so it's not necessary to roll dice for them.

- Also, I think that for combat values '2' & '3', 6 dices do well.

- For the rest of values ('4' and higher) I would recommend use 10 dice per colour. But that's only because we like to make simultaneous dice rolls for each side battling (attacker and defender).

- So, there's no problem in having only 5 dice per colour or less.

I bought a pack of unassorted d10 at my local gaming store for only 10-15 euro (don't remember exactly how much...). If you look at the battle mat, you'll find that numbers 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,0, are the same kind of d10 (with rounded edges), but 6 and 8 have sharp edges. These last ones, were bought from Chessex.

It's true that buying that so many dice is expensive, but I prefer how them boost the game flow. All my friends enjoy now battling in this game, and it's visually easy for them to follow the combats.

Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bo Chicoine
msg tools
Hey all,

This thread was really helpful for me and some friends so thanks to all involved in coming up with this idea. Massive time saver!

I ended up using your designs for the basis of my own design, feel free to download / print it and use it for your own games

Here is a link to the .psd file so you can change the dice colours.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_4TkVZjR57cRU4yTUxraVJ1UVk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.