Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After seeing this game played for years I finally got a chance to try it last night. It's now on my "to get" list, which may have to wait a bit since I've already bought a ton of games this year. But I liked it and I want to get it but I find myself asking a different question...

Is there a game that's like Louis XIV but just, less?

There's a lot to this game, which is great (have I emphasized enough that I'm not being critical?), but it seems to me you could simplify this thing and get another good game.

You don't need VP Shields and money; conflate them. One gold is one VP, missions are 15 instead of 5, things that give you a shield now give you three GP, done. All you lose is six randomly dispensed VP at the end of the game.

You could drop the Louis pawn. You could lose a couple tiles that had to do with Shields. You go without some of the influence token mechanics.

All that stuff is good, but in removing it you'd have a quicker, more accessible game that would also be good. Not as good, perhaps, and not a replacement, certainly, but good.

Is there already such a game? Just curious.

But I like this game. Inexpensive on the secondary market, too.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played Mykerinos a couple times, and didn't really like it (6). I'm not sure I could tell you why, except that I generally don't like influence games. Except that I love El Grande and about a hundred other influence games. Didn't really like Mykerinos, though the Museum floor plan part is really cool.

I like Blue Moon City, but I don't think it feels similar to Louis XIV.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Is there a game that's like Louis XIV but just, less?

If you like Louis XIV, I'd recommend Leonardo da Vinci. I has a similar mechanic in that you place workers in areas to win a reward or pay for it if you don't win, but they're different enough to provide a different experience. I wouldn't say that it was any lighter than Louis XIV (they're about the same weight) but they're both excellent games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Palais Royal. As soon as I had it, I got rid of Louis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chang Lin
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like replying to an old thread...but I guess it just struck me that for 2-P, Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel has pretty similar mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to Subscriptions you can reply to a years-old thread and get a reply in minutes!

Thanks for the tip. I like PotE, but haven't played BD. I will look for the chance to. I'm also mostly through a retro-space themed game with the parts of L14 I like that's about half the game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.