Stone Age» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two player, more deterministic and house-requiring variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maaartin Maaartin
msg tools
mbmbmb

A two player variant

For two players the limitation of 7 workers per resource is quite ineffective (especially in the beginning of the game). So we changed it into the following:

You may place your workers onto a resource field only if they outnumber the workers of the other player or there already some workers of yours. This way you really have to fight for resource fields even in a two player game. We don't use the 7 workers limit for two players.

We used this rule for three players as well, but then we changed it into a more complicated one:
There may be no more than 7 workers per field. You may place your workers onto a resource field only if they either outnumber the workers of each of the other players, or if there are exactly 7 workers there after your turn.

A more deterministic variant

For resource production use one die only. For each two workers simply count 7 pips without rolling. So for five workers, you get 2*7 pips plus one roll. I really love this alternative, but it makes the game take longer, since there's a lot of planning involved.

A house-requiring variant

For each child you need to get a house first (in may be in the same round). This makes the houses very important at the very beginning and growing your population quite a bit harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you aware that there is already another restriction on placing in the resource spaces with 2 players? In the standard 2-player rules only one person can place on each resource type, so it doesn't matter how many guys your opponent places, you're blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, sounds like they missed it.

The real rules are even more brutal than the proposed variant, in that a single worker completely blocks that resource completely.

It also sounds like they've missed that you can never add workers to an area. ("or there already some workers of yours.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaartin Maaartin
msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Yup, sounds like they missed it.

The real rules are even more brutal than the proposed variant, in that a single worker completely blocks that resource completely.

Actually, we didn't miss the original rules, just didn't liked them and removed the restriction at first. Then I forgot about it totally and invented the above rule.

It also sounds like they've missed that you can never add workers to an area. ("or there already some workers of yours.")

I really can't find it in my rulebook. It's a Czech one, and the rules may differ (for example, for each missing food you have to eat resources instead; if there's still some unfed meeples they eat 4 victory point each).

What do you think about the other rules of ours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maaartin wrote:
I really can't find it in my rulebook. It's a Czech one, and the rules may differ (for example, for each missing food you have to eat resources instead; if there's still some unfed meeples they eat 4 victory point each).

It's at the very beginning in the English rules, presumably there should still be a similar section in yours.

Quote:
A game round
Each round is divided into 3 phases, which are executed in the order described:
1. The players place their people on the game board.
2. The players use the actions of their placed people.
3. The players feed their people.
1. The players place their people on the game board.
The start player begins and must place 1 or more of his people on one place of his choice. Then the next player in clockwise order follows and must also place 1 or more of his people on one place of his
choice. This continues in clockwise order until all players have placed all their people on the game board. The number of rings in a place indicates how many people can be there before it is full.
Passing is not permitted, if there are still places available for people. Placing again is not permitted. That is, for example, if red placed 4 people in the forest, he cannot later in the same round place more people in the forest, even if there is still room there.

As to the other rules, I don't mind the third one (must buy hut tiles before expanding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with the hut buying variant. I played it for the first time last night and I think this would have improved the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaartin Maaartin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maaartin wrote:

It's at the very beginning in the English rules, presumably there should still be a similar section in yours.

After you showed me the position, I've found it quickly, thank you. I wonder how it changes the game (assuming the others accept this "new" rule at all devil).

Orangemoose wrote:
I also agree with the hut buying variant. I played it for the first time last night and I think this would have improved the game.

I'm glad you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls