Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: BSW sucks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner wrote:
To the OP:

I really appreciate the sentiment you are expressing, but I don't think you can necessarily blame BSW for the poor behavior of it's user. BY title your thread 'BSW sucks' you seem as reactionary and as impatient as the people you're complaining about.

Why not something more like 'Since when did BSW fill up with dipsticks?' or something.

Your avatar is AWESOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for a new meme:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner wrote:
BY title your thread 'BSW sucks' you seem as reactionary and as impatient as the people you're complaining about.

I do think the problem he's talking about is generated by the structure and organization of BSW.

And has little or nothing to do with win-loss records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I do think the problem he's talking about is generated by the structure and organization of BSW.
Yeah, I think that's true. Governments have long ago figured out that a few policies help maintain civility. It's the same online. And BSW seems to be ignoring that. I applaud BGA for at least trying. I should probably support it more just because of that.

But... Tichu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:

3 words: Board. Game. Arena.
(Referral links)

Ok I've tried all 3 of these links registered twice, and still have no idea on how to create an account on there. Feel free to PM me the answer since this isn't related to the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for a new meme:

OH YEAH!

I want a Shanter microbadge!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
Ok I've tried all 3 of these links registered twice, and still have no idea on how to create an account on there. Feel free to PM me the answer since this isn't related to the thread.
No reason for multiple people to PM. And if you couldn't figure it out, maybe others can't too.

Click the login button, upper right.
Fill in your email in the bottom "Register now it's free" portion. Click Register
Click the link you get in email

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sapo Hipnotico
msg tools
"why people are the way they are there?"
I think a lot about that as well.

I don't think most of them are like that in their everyday life.
1- is the fact that they are unlikely to have to deal very much with you again and he is shielded behind a user name. When you drive on the streets of a big city you see similar behavior. I think its a hardwired into our brain to switch to a more parasitive instance in these kind of one exchange not personal situations.
2- The scoring attracts underachievers in need of the feeling of accomplishment. Being nasty and look down on others only increase that feeling. One thing that makes it worst that these people tend to stay more online so the chances of playing with them is bigger even the their relative numbers are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
sapo_hipnotico wrote:

1- is the fact that they are unlikely to have to deal very much with you again and he is shielded behind a user name. When you drive on the streets of a big city you see similar behavior. I think its a hardwired into our brain to switch to a more parasitive instance in these kind of one exchange not personal situations.
2- The scoring attracts underachievers in need of the feeling of accomplishment. Being nasty and look down on others only increase that feeling. One thing that makes it worst that these people tend to stay more online so the chances of playing with them is bigger even the their relative numbers are.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/02/10/deindividuation/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb

The kicking and punching stopped only when it became apparent that all the mob was attacking was itself. And, since the IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters, it was never very clear to anyone what had happened.
- Terry Pratchett: Masquerade (1994)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
this ensures its the last round and I dont have to suffer one more round of pointless score padding

Quote:
they no longer care about playing the game, except to add one more win to their total.

And you, whose immediate reaction upon realizing that you cannot win is to end the game as soon as possible, do care about playing the game for itself?

Get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adebisi
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
404 Not Found
badge
Click to format C:\
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fundamentally wrong to expect to find anything but the game itself and socially challenged players in BSW. Boardgaming is a social hobby and a social event. The expression on your opponents face when he finds out that his whole game crushes into pieces during the last turn is something that just doesn't transfer into "ones" and "zeros". That's why boardgames are best played live.

Another fundamental thing that should be kept in mind is that, in BSW you encounter numerous new players in a very short period of time. Usually the only other time when you can get even close to the same unfamiliar/familiar player ratio in a table is in conventions. I've been to some and I can tell you that you can meet impatient and abusive donkeyholes there, too. So it's no wonder that you meet a few rotten eggs in BSW.

In a nutshell, you just can't expect BSW to offer the same kind of experience you'd have with your best gaming buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a point of data, I've just started my first proper usage of BSW, specifically in Dominion and 7 Wonders... and had nothing but, at worst, a lack of conversation, and at best, banter.

Meanwhile, on Isotropic's Dominion server, I had my first dickwad the other day (who didn't understand that even with 8 Gardens, my giving him 10 curses was NOT HELPING HIM. Yeah, he won, by one point), making it approximately 1% dickwads on that site.

On boardgamearena, last night I was politely asked to leave a game of haggis I'd leapt into because one of the players wanted a 2 player match. That's the most negative I've got on there.

Oh, and http://www.jeuxsurunplateau.com/ is just sending me to a hosting site...

The only thing I can think I'm doing that's different from most people, that I can see, is my username on these services: pete_darby. Maybe confronting someone with an actual name instead of a handle is a speedbump for dickwaddishness (Which I believe is the name of a small village in Cumbria).

And remember kids: Wil Wheaton says "Don't be a dick!"

In fact, let's sing along...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Quote:
this ensures its the last round and I dont have to suffer one more round of pointless score padding

Quote:
they no longer care about playing the game, except to add one more win to their total.

And you, whose immediate reaction upon realizing that you cannot win is to end the game as soon as possible, do care about playing the game for itself?

Get over it.

You seem to have missed the bit in his post where he mentions that the other player had already effectively won the game, being 40 points in the lead with one more round to play. I'm with him on this one, I would have moved to end it too and acknowledge the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Get over it.

You seem to have missed the bit in his post where he mentions that the other player had already effectively won the game, being 40 points in the lead with one more round to play. I'm with him on this one, I would have moved to end it too and acknowledge the win.
But I thought winning wasn't the whole point of the game. So why then does a secured win translate to the game being pointless to continue playing?

Maybe the winner had set up the entire game to buy a particular building, so he wanted an extra turn because winning isn't all he cares about.

I find it incredibly ironic that a person who quits a game because he is losing is questioning other people's sportsmanship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
I find it incredibly ironic that a person who quits a game because he is losing is questioning other people's sportsmanship.

He quit the game after the other player had shown poor sportsmanship in not accepting the win.

I would suggest that your scenario of having set up the entire game to reach a specific building is stretching things a bit... (The player concerned is going to be disappointed on a very regular basis if that were the case!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
He quit the game after the other player had shown poor sportsmanship in not accepting the win.

I'm sure the other player didn't understand the situation the same way he did. You could perhaps accuse him of insufficient perspicacity, but to accuse him of poor sportsmanship you have to know a lot more about what he was thinking than we actually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there ARE people on BSW whose job it is to deal with the @$$holes -- talk to them, try to get them to behave, even punish them if need be. They're call Reeves, and the not-so-nice folks can be reported on the Fairness Channel. But of course, that only works on registered users.

What works better, in my experience, is that individual towns have the ability to ban players who behave badly. I know my town (Emerald.City, C41) does this, and I'm sure EnglishTown (C10, and the largest city on BSW) does this too. So if I'm playing in one of these towns, my chances of dealing with jerks is somewhat minimized, and if I do encounter them, I know who to report them to.

I know many people don't like to deal with the metagame, and that's fine, but if you hang out in a town, make a few friends, those people can help you find friendly players. (And yeah, if you find some, add them to your watchlist -- and save it.)

I don't have this problem, generally, but certain games are heavily prone to it, and otherwise I play in my own town, or answer calls for players. I mean, if they're asking for players, they want people to play, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla is right. The folks in our town are all great - to the extent that we often get together in person when we travel to where others live. They suffer agonizingly slow games to teach others how to play, the metagame heads take care of us who still don't quite get it all, and we tech-support each other. And we play a lot of games too! Don't expect an entire-BSW-size sample of humanity to be jerk-free. Join a town - shrink the sample size to lose the jerks - gain new friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

I would suggest that your scenario of having set up the entire game to reach a specific building is stretching things a bit... (The player concerned is going to be disappointed on a very regular basis if that were the case!)
Doesn't change the fact that he was dying for the game to end just because he was losing. That's unrelated to whatever the other player did or did not do. What the other player did end up doing just gave him a good excuse (to quit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for a new meme:

Thank you for the best Avatar ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shatner wrote:
Time for a new meme:

Thank you for the best Avatar ever!

No problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sapo Hipnotico
msg tools
sapo_hipnotico wrote:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/02/10/deindividuation/

nice text

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pierce
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am curious. Considering there are several reasons listed on this thread indicating that BWS is lacking QoS, then is there an American and or English speaking equivalent online portal? And, if so does it support the quality game that BWS does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lilbum949 wrote:
I am curious. Considering there are several reasons listed on this thread indicating that BWS is lacking QoS, then is there an American and or English speaking equivalent online portal? And, if so does it support the quality game that BWS does?

O-ho, as they say in Finland... here we go again:
Board Game Arena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |