Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: BSW sucks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The main reason is there are no tools for players to find matches with compatible players. So the people who want to play fast get stuck in games with the people who want to play slow, and the people who want to play competitively get stuck in games with the people who want to play casually. Personality conflicts ensue.

Solution would be better player matching tools. But this is more or less incompatible with the operators' apparent vision for the site, so I doubt it will happen.
i didn't expect i'd ever find a thread where i could heartily agree with you :D but here it really happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Welcome, Patrick Paul Grundy! (He's a pistol.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a "room" of three (other) people, it only takes a 25% "jerk" factor to get a bad impression. A 50% "jerk" factor would make it seem commonplace, even though it may well still be a minority.

However the addictive power of visible arbitrary measurement (eg a meta score) should never be understated. It's a necessity of survival that we have a compulsive behaviour gene to some degree, and similarly that we be "interested" in "success". We get a little hormonal happy hit every time these combine. Meta scores, video game scores, gambling results all tap into this and can be extremely powerful.

Even BGG thumb collection is a lesser example of the same thing... we all know how some members get hooked on racking up those little dudes.

So yes I would absolutely say if the system tracks your total wins in some way it's going to drive some pretty negative behaviour ... in some people.

If I were to routinely engage in networked gaming, I would play only either (a) all people I know or at least roped in as known to people I know or (b) a system that leaves no results records at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Most of you guys simply don't know what you're talking about. You can avoid less experienced players by simply opening up the room tool and looking at somebody's user account level. (Mine is 11. Highest is 19. Unregistered are 0. You shoot through 1-5 really fast when you first get on.)

If someone is a really low level, you consider not letting them play.

Someone said "even when I tried to play with a friend, someone else came in and started up the game!"

Yeah. You forgot to activate host. You're not using the tool, and then blaming the platform for your own inability to use it.

I've noticed some rude people in Tichu, and frequently there are impatient people. But I understand, because I don't want to play with slow players in the games that I am not familiar enough to play quickly.

I've played almost every day for a year and have only had trash talk 3 or 4 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
ClintJCL wrote:
Most of you guys simply don't know what you're talking about. You can avoid less experienced players by simply opening up the room tool and looking at somebody's user account level. (Mine is 11. Highest is 19. Unregistered are 0. You shoot through 1-5 really fast when you first get on.)

Someone said "even when I tried to play with a friend, someone else came in and started up the game!"

Yeah. You forgot to activate host. You're not using the tool, and then blaming the platform for your own inability to use it.

I've noticed some rude people in Tichu, and frequently there are impatient people. But I understand, because I don't want to play with slow players in the games that I am not familiar enough to play quickly.

I've played almost every day for a year and have only had trash talk 3 or 4 times.

The host option has also gotten better in that you can reject someone from joining. The worst encounters I used to have on BSW was before they implemented that where an unreg would join and refuse to leave. I still get verbally abused every couple of weeks from some unreg who gets upset that I reject them. Boo hoo for them.

I think the jerk quotient is higher for some games than others. I mostly play PR and Stone Age and I don't run into that many jerks. I know who they are and I just won't play with them. The only abuse I get is from aforementioned unreg players and I ignore that and occasional jerky behavior. It's definitely more than 3-4 times though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClintJCL wrote:

You can also make the room invisible and uncheck "Allow players to join from the manager."

If they can't find you, they can't really enter the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mrorwell wrote:
ClintJCL wrote:

You can also make the room invisible and uncheck "Allow players to join from the manager."

I always disable joining from the manager, but I can't see how making the room invisible is going to help when you are waiting for people to join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
but I can't see how making the room invisible is going to help when you are waiting for people to join.

This feature is more for when you are trying to play with people you know - you can tell them where you are and they can get there but others can't simply see the game and jump in unwanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
spacewolf009 wrote:
she2 wrote:
but I can't see how making the room invisible is going to help when you are waiting for people to join.

This feature is more for when you are trying to play with people you know - you can tell them where you are and they can get there but others can't simply see the game and jump in unwanted.

Right, which is the only time I use it. That's not when the nuts bother me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
she2 wrote:
ClintJCL wrote:

The host option has also gotten better in that you can reject someone from joining. The worst encounters I used to have on BSW was before they implemented that where an unreg would join and refuse to leave. I still get verbally abused every couple of weeks from some unreg who gets upset that I reject them. Boo hoo for them.

I think the jerk quotient is higher for some games than others. I mostly play PR and Stone Age and I don't run into that many jerks. I know who they are and I just won't play with them. The only abuse I get is from aforementioned unreg players and I ignore that and occasional jerky behavior. It's definitely more than 3-4 times though.

Obviously I spoke too soon as I managed to find a total a%%hole tonight. Oh well. The joys of BSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
mrorwell wrote:
ClintJCL wrote:

I always disable joining from the manager, but I can't see how making the room invisible is going to help when you are waiting for people to join.

If you have folks who you know are going to join you, they can still find you in an invisible room. They can type in the command line:

/ghook YOUR_USER_NAME

/ghook allows your buddy to type in your user name and will place them in the room you occupy.

Of course, if you are just waiting for no one in particular, then /ghook does not help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
I stopped playing years ago as it seemed I kept getting dumped into rooms of jerks. All many wanted me to do is shut up and push my buttons to a take a turn as quickly as possible so they can rack up another win. Very frustrating.

I had the same experience as Scott and don't go there anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:
she2 wrote:
mrorwell wrote:
ClintJCL wrote:

If you have folks who you know are going to join you, they can still find you in an invisible room. They can type in the command line:

/ghook YOUR_USER_NAME

/ghook allows your buddy to type in your user name and will place them in the room you occupy.

Of course, if you are just waiting for no one in particular, then /ghook does not help.

Wait, that's all. Wow, how very simple. I love simple, clean, intuitive solutions such as this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I quit BSW nearly 2 years ago for these reasons - order is not relevant:

1) Awful interface.

2) Do not care about the meta-game of cities and property and all that.

3) A$$holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:

1) Awful interface.

3) A$$holes.

1) Is not that bad. Could it be more polished, yes, of course, but it is good enough.

2) Don't care about the meta-game, ignore it !!!

3) Now, this is where I disagree the most. I found that if you put your part and are not an a$$hole yourself, you will find that it is actually a wonderful community. I've made many friends from all around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
mlhovan wrote:

1) Awful interface.

3) A$$holes.

1) Is not that bad. Could it be more polished, yes, of course, but it is good enough.

3) Now, this is where I disagree the most. I found that if you put your part and are not an a$$hole yourself, you will find that it is actually a wonderful community. I've made many friends from all around the world.

Nice try bucko. Just because folks choose to be an a-hole does not mean that someone was one to them. That is like assuming that a victim of a violent crime deserved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone up for organizing some planned game nights using BSW with some friendly players? I am up for getting a core group of players going at this, who would help anchor down game nights that are meant for fun. I had tried to get guys together locally to do this but got stuff like it would be too much work to plan a day and time or "It's good to play random Germans".

Drop me a line if interested. If enough get interested, could set up some private rooms and ghook people, using a channel to chat on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I'm sort of curious: does anyone have any ideas why people are the way they are there? And what sort of changes would result in either nicer people, or the same people behaving nicer?

Something about playing over the Internet with strangers will cause people to treat the other players like they are disembodied brains, who are there for the amusement of the people play, and don't need to be respected. Play a lot, and you just want a challenge and nothing social. People get treated like bots, because people forget people on the other end are human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mlhovan wrote:
teg2 wrote:
mlhovan wrote:

1) Awful interface.

3) A$$holes.

Nice try bucko. Just because folks choose to be an a-hole does not mean that someone was one to them. That is like assuming that a victim of a violent crime deserved it.

Agreed. I've had many people just start in on me or another player who stay completely silent through the whole thing (why argue with them). They are just jerks in real life and the anonymity of BSW lets them be even nastier. I don't find it to be a "wonderful" community unfortunately. I think most people won't even chat anymore because either they (like me) are just on for an hour or less to pass the time and just don't have time, there is a language barrier, or they are just not interested.

On the other hand, occasionally you find real gems who will help you with a new interface, as opposed to rail on you (usually they rail on you after they join your Learning game, what idiots). I know I go out of my way to help people when they are new when I am not rushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
I know I go out of my way to help people when they are new when I am not rushed.

Good on you
I try to do this too and wish it were more common

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great experience trying to learn Puerto Rico on BSW. I played two games, and both times I started off by saying I had never played and was learning the game. and both times there was at least one of the other players that was super helpful, in the second game the host even gave out fair warning to the next player that wanted to join that I was new to the game, and everyone was super cool. Even letting me in on a couple of strategy tips.

Then again I was playing Dominion against a much better opponent and someone entered the room and decided to trash talk on behalf of the better player, which is it's own special breed of jerk. As the game was wrapping up, I offered the guy a chance to take on my opponent. He passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez I feel old, WTF is BSW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghisx wrote:
Geez I feel old, WTF is BSW?

Well, you are on the BrettspielWelt forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
LSMB wrote:
she2 wrote:
mrorwell wrote:
ClintJCL wrote:

/ghook YOUR_USER_NAME

Wait, that's all. Wow, how very simple. I love simple, clean, intuitive solutions such as this.

HA!

I hear ya....but in BSW's defense

- I read some simple intro that had that info (I think a help menu)....and it is possible this command may be in a GUI menu that I am not aware of...

- BSW is free (not sure how many people work on it to improve interface and fix bugs

There is a learning curve with BSW, for sure..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |