Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly I don't spend a lot of time on Amazon.com looking at games (would rather frequent my local game stores), but I just ended up there and noticed that they now have an "Educational" rating attached to every game they sell.

Does anyone know when this was added? Interesting feature, though it's pretty abstract as is. Would be nice to see something on that order around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really cool. I did not know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Hickman Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how they decide that? There are so many factors that determine educational value. I think it would be cool to see some universal tags for games based upon the types of skills they promote, as well as the reading level needed. I've noticed often that games seem to have a somewhat arbitrary age suggestion, but in many cases those are not particularly helpful. in picking an appropriate game.

I've found that one of the biggest limitations to game playing is in the reading comprehension required. I know this certainly applies with my 5 year old daughter who can play very complex games that don't require reading, but can't play some "simple" games due to the level of reading required. I also experienced this same issue while teaching high school English classes. I brought board games into the classroom and actually found reading ability to be a huge factor in ability and willingness for kids to learn/play certain games. Something akin to lexile reading scores would be so much more relevant in many cases, especially for educational applications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, good point Angela on the reading.

I have had the same experience with our 5 yr old daughter. She can play Settlers of Catan with no problem (and actually came in 2nd last time we played, beating her 13 yr old brother much to his chagrin). But of course she can't read anything beyond the most basic kids' books at this point, and definitely couldn't handle the rules on her own.

Skills rating would be better than this single 1-5 star system, though a skills list would be a challenge to limit in its granularity (i.e. saying "maths skills" instead of breaking that down into "counting skills", "addition/subtraction skills", "statistics skills", etc). Still, I wonder if anyone has even attempted this... intriguing idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.