Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who at DOW is ignorant enough to treat a Peace Sign as a Pentacle (The Wickedest Pentacle, one of the Popular Places)? If avoiding use of a pentacle for its occult/Satanic/Pagan (yes I know those aren't equivalent) associations then why not be over-sensitive and avoid Cultists, Altar of Souls, Sorcerers (esp. pentagram symbol) and etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think it is more of them just being silly. They already caused a stir with the pentagram on on the Sorcerers (even though it is inside a star). A lot of this expansion seems to have tongue-in-cheek references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I think it is more of them just being silly. They already caused a star with the pentagram on on the Sorcerers (even though it is inside a star). a lot of this expansions seems to have tongue-in-cheek references.

I see what you're saying but if not done out of ignorance nor PC it is anachronous to use a peace symbol for the destructive Balrog-invoking Pentacle when the peace sign appropriately already appears in the game for the Peace-Loving power. You'd think they'd just invent a rune symbol for the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
I see what you're saying but if not done out of ignorance nor PC it is anachronous to use a peace symbol for the destructive Balrog-invoking Pentacle when the peace sign appropriately already appears in the game for the Peace-Loving power. You'd think they'd just invent a rune symbol for the place.

I hardly think that avoiding anachronisms is a goal of DoW in this game. It's not a serious fantasy setting...if they can insert a little irony for laughs, they won't hesitate to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Atkinson
United States
Hampton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I think it is more of them just being silly. They already caused a star with the pentagram on on the Sorcerers (even though it is inside a star). a lot of this expansions seems to have tongue-in-cheek references.

Sir, you're complaining about anachronisms in a game with Monty Python references. Thankfully, there is a procedure to solve this problem: find your tongue, place it firmly in your cheek, and stop complaining just for the sake of complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everett True wrote:
quixotequest wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Sir, you're complaining about anachronisms in a game with Monty Python references. Thankfully, there is a procedure to solve this problem: find your tongue, place it firmly in your cheek, and stop complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Not complaining just to complain, but I get your point. Here's some flowers and sunshine, bro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy O'Neal
msg tools
mbmbmb
My thought when I saw it was that it was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the complaints about the pentagram used for the Sorcerers. People got worked up about evil signs in the last game so they bring out their "Wickedest" symbol, the one they plan to use to summon a demon, and that symbol is... a peace sign. Like when someone threatens to attack you with their vicious tiger and you see its terrifying shadow coming around the corner and it turns out to be a kitten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure its a very intentional joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.