Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Descent is probably one of my favorite games to play, I just wish it played in a shorter amount of time. However, I have a background in RPGs and have heard that the Road to Legend Expansion is one of the greatest expansions out there as it allows characters to progress over time. I'd love to get a copy of it, but can't seem to find it anywhere! I think I am falling victim to Fantasy Flight Games! Beginning to dislike the way they put out a great game and then are off onto the next thing and the game goes out of print and fast! Also bought Battlelore a while back and now FFG has purchased it and let it sit on the shelf, practically almost killing it off. At least for it I still see an expansion every now and then even though there are no new ones. Anyone know where I can find a copy of Road to Legend? I've see one on ebay that went for $95 bucks! That's almost as much as I paid for the base and would hate to spend more than $50 to $60 on it.

Thanks!
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you checked your FLGS or any of the quite numerous different webshops "over there" specializing in boardgames? I just checked with two webshops here in Norway, as well as my FLGS, and they all have it in stock.

At the FFG site RtL is listed as an upcoming reprint, so if it is as scarce as you fear, it should be back in the shelves sometime later this year or early next year http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

Lastly, it would probably have been more appropriate to post this in the RtL forum instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! You're right I probably should have posted this in the RTL forum, Admins if you can move it feel free! Anyways, I have checked both FLGS in town here and all the "Online" webshops listed in the RTL page here as well as on Amazon, ebay, etc. I won't say I've conducted an extensive search, but I have check most of my main sources as well as a few of the sources that carry hard to find items and have come up with nothing. Hopefully with the Reprint I can find it later this year. I didn't see that on the FFG site. Thanks for the link! Must have missed it as I was scanning the news on their site and didnt see it.

To,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:

Lastly, it would probably have been more appropriate to post this in the RtL forum instead.

And, while you're over there, do some research. Road to Legend is not universally acclaimed. You may love it, but, for the sake of your money and, more importantly, your time, I suggest that you read some reviews and/or game comments (protip: comments often give a better overall impression of the game than reviews, link at the top of the game page, close to the game's rating stars) before you dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Tip! I just revamped my wishlist this weekend after a discussion with our gaming friends and my wife. I agree its time to spend more time researching before purchasing. My purchasing has kind of gotten out of hand as I have binged on game purchases lately. So I've agreed to research before purchasing and I was unaware of comments vs reviews. Thanks!

For the sake of argument, what is the must have first expansion to Descent?

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:

I don't have either of the campaign expansions for Descent (yet?), but from what I've heard, it's generally thought to be best to pick up at least some of the Vanilla expansions before the campaign expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite honestly from what I have researched (which isnt much) I was planning on getting at least Road to Legend, Altar of Despair, and Well of Darkness. I don't care to much for Sea of Blood, just doesnt look exciting to me. Tomb of Ice is eh, for me. The reason I liked the idea of getting road to legend is I really am hoping that it shortens the game. Anyone got any ideas for that? Playing Descent, it's usually my wife and I with me playing the overlord. She actually likes it a lot, we just wish it wasn't as involved or long. We've recently purchased D&D Wrath of Ashardalon and we both like it a lot as well, just not as much as Descent. D&D is a quick play for a dungeon delve, but its doesnt have the depth that Descent does. I'm trying to figure out some variant to make the adventures more playable in less time. My first thought is to play each room in the dungeon as a single play, but that would kind of make for a boring play since there is no "Whats around the corner or in the next room?" feeling to it.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
Quite honestly from what I have researched (which isnt much) I was planning on getting at least Road to Legend, Altar of Despair, and Well of Darkness. I don't care to much for Sea of Blood, just doesnt look exciting to me. Tomb of Ice is eh, for me. The reason I liked the idea of getting road to legend is I really am hoping that it shortens the game. Anyone got any ideas for that? Playing Descent, it's usually my wife and I with me playing the overlord. She actually likes it a lot, we just wish it wasn't as involved or long. We've recently purchased D&D Wrath of Ashardalon and we both like it a lot as well, just not as much as Descent. D&D is a quick play for a dungeon delve, but its doesnt have the depth that Descent does. I'm trying to figure out some variant to make the adventures more playable in less time. My first thought is to play each room in the dungeon as a single play, but that would kind of make for a boring play since there is no "Whats around the corner or in the next room?" feeling to it.

Tim

RtL will make the game much, much longer, but easier to break up. I believe each dungeon in RtL is shorter than a vanilla Descent dungeon, but there will be many of them involved in a campaign. Someone with actual RtL experience will hopefully come along and explain it much better than I did.

I could be wrong, but I believe RtL is only for teams of four heroes, once again, someone with RtL experience should be along shortly to correct/support me.

If you're playing two player (I assume your wife is controlling two characters?), ToI might be the best of the vanilla expansions, as it tends to make things easier for the heroes. WoD and AoD, generally tend to make it harder for the heroes, and I believe two player is generally harder for the heroes already.

There are many threads that discuss the merits of the various expansions:
expansions
Which expansions are the best for relatively new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Rtl will not shorten your game at all. Not even by a little bit. The dungeons do play faster. What RtL does it turns Descent into a campaign. This will be played over a course of days. If you're familiar with tabletop RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons you'll understand what this means. I had an RtL group that met once a week. It eventually broke up and we never finished. RtL comes with boxes to store every character in from session to session and comes with a sheet for the OL to log things on as well as a box to store stuff in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Road to Legend (and Sea of Blood) takes the mechanics of plain'ol Descent and adds a progressive storyline to the game. It allows the heroes to develop their characters and the Overlord to grow and become more lethal.

What Road to Legend does that you seem to want is take the long multi-level, multi-hour dungeons from Descent and chop them up into 60-90-minute chunks, while giving you the ability to save your progress a bit more easily than in classic Descent.

The character development/campaign aspect of Road to Legend/Sea of Blood is meant to add 50-90 hours of gameplay to Descent, but broken up into smaller sessions. That part works. My kids and I really enjoy our RTL campaign simply because it was getting very difficult to get them to focus for 3 hours on a dungeon. I hope to introduce RTL to my gaming group to get a campaign going on every other week or so.

Russ Wakeland of the D6 Generation spoke of his Sea of Blood campaign; he was the overlord and it sounded like the last battle was a letdown for him, but overall he seemed to have positive things to say. I *think* he's played both. Episode 4 of the D6 Generation discusses RTL: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/210030.page

Also, if you decide to make the plunge and find a copy in stock, check out the Descent Campaign Tracker http://www.descentcampaigntracker.com/ to track your stuff online. :-)

Enjoy! I hope you make the plunge. I really enjoy Descent. I own vanilla Descent, RTL, and Altar of Despair (though haven't played with Altar yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
If you're playing two player (I assume your wife is controlling two characters?), ToI might be the best of the vanilla expansions, as it tends to make things easier for the heroes. WoD and AoD, generally tend to make it harder for the heroes, and I believe two player is generally harder for the heroes already.

I basically agree with this.

Since I did not hear any complaints about the balance of the base game and since a single hero player can also play four heroes if need be, I think you could consider buying either of the three non-advanced campaign expansions. In my experience, they basically come down to the following:

WoD: adds some neat traps for the Overlord. Makes the game a lot harder for the heroes and has long quests.

AoD: adds nice elements that increase difficulty for the heroes, but also has some interesting quests that are not about finding and killing one particular monster.

ToI: makes the game easier for the heroes and has shorter quests than the other expansions.

If you like the current balance of the game, I would suggest to buy either WoD or AoD first, then ToI if the game gets too hard for the heroes. Just the added versatility from the new monsters in each expansion makes me enjoy each and every one of them equally, although the quests of WoD may be a bit too much for most heroes.

As for RtL, I recently read a post from RtL players stating you would miss out on part of it if you do not own WoD and AoD, so I figure you had best kept RtL till last if you want to enjoy its full potential. (I guess this mainly means you would otherwise miss some of the monsters indicated in the dungeons for RtL.) Since ToI includes all additional cards required for use with RtL, you could also decide to buy the expansions in order of publishing.

The links provided by Khedron are more elaborate, so you should definitely take a look there too, but perhaps you find my input useful too - every opinion counts, I guess :-) In the end, it is also a matter of taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:

Tim

Probably AoD or WoD. ToI only if your hero players consistently get their asses handed to them.

The Advanced Campaigns are just that - Advanced. They are very much best played with enough vanilla experience in hand to make much of the dungeoneering play semi-automatic. The key in Advanced Campaigns is the strategic game outside of dungeons, but the needs of the strategic inform the tactical choices inside the dungeons. Most players who struggle with ACs do so because they aren't adapting their tactical to work for their strategic.
Translating this into simpler form and relating it back to the question, in ACs you need to be mentally keeping a close eye on the strategic situation (outside the dungeon - map position, short, middle and long term plans, potential upgrades for each side, OL map actions (Lts), etc etc. If you are still having to mentally 'work hard' on the tactical side inside the dungeon it is very much harder to simultaneously keep your eye on the ball outside.
This is what I mean by having enough experience to make the dungeoneering tactics semi-automatic.

Combine the above effect with the fact that the additional monsters, potions, cards and treachery have very big balancing and variation impact in ACs, and it is definitely best to get one or more (all actually, IMO) of the vanilla expansions before any ACs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the sounds of it I think I am going to research the Tomb of Ice expansion. My wife typically does play two heroes and we play pretty light / easy on the Overlord side and the heroes still have quite a hard time slashing through all the monsters. Add to that the fact that I tend to be more strategically minded and she dislikes playing sometimes because I win a lot, I would like to make it easier on her as much as I can. That only means it will get to the table more often.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a RtL thread should be in the RtL forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
From the sounds of it I think I am going to research the Tomb of Ice expansion. My wife typically does play two heroes and we play pretty light / easy on the Overlord side and the heroes still have quite a hard time slashing through all the monsters. Add to that the fact that I tend to be more strategically minded and she dislikes playing sometimes because I win a lot, I would like to make it easier on her as much as I can. That only means it will get to the table more often.

Tim

the only way it will get easier for her is if she can control 4 heroes at one time if it is just the 2 of you. it is tough to keep track of, but imo i like this way better than with a total of 5 people.

you can also help her with remembering things, even as the OL, but not too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.