Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W Harvey
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
This is not the text you are looking for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought of several Hive variants to introduce some luck and tactics into the game.

Variant 1: Random Tile Draw

Gameplay remains unchanged, except that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, you draw it from all your tiles turned face down. The queen is separated and kept face up, and still must be introduced by turn 4.

Variant 2: Opponent Chooses Tile When Introduced

Again, gameplay remains unchanged, except for the fact that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, your opponent chooses the insect type, not where the tile is played.

A slight variation to this is that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, you present 3 insect tiles to your opponent, who must then choose from those 3 which gets introduced.

Variant 3: The Psychic Spider

The only change to gameplay is that whenever you place a spider, you tell your opponent:
1. Whether he/she will place or move a tile on his/her next turn, and
2. Which insect type will be moved or place.

In none of these variants are you allowed to tell your opponent where to move/place a piece, just the type of piece to move/place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waharvey wrote:

The only change to gameplay is that whenever you place a spider, you tell your opponent:

This seems like it would make a first move Spider placement by white extremely powerful! By forcing black to place an Ant, which will likely be tied up the whole game.

Interesting ideas! Have you taken any of them for a test drive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Harvey
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
This is not the text you are looking for.
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:

This seems like it would make a first move Spider placement by white extremely powerful! By forcing black to place an Ant, which will likely be tied up the whole game.

I just thought of these variants tonight, and did not consider such a play. I guess I could limit it to only being used after placing your queen bee.

I have played the first variant two or three times, but have not played the other two.

I'm glad you found my ideas interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waharvey wrote:
I've thought of several Hive variants to introduce some luck and tactics into the game.

Variant 1: Random Tile Draw

Gameplay remains unchanged, except that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, you draw it from all your tiles turned face down. The queen is separated and kept face up, and still must be introduced by turn 4.

Already suggested in the variants forum. And very early on too.

waharvey wrote:
Variant 2: Opponent Chooses Tile When Introduced

Again, gameplay remains unchanged, except for the fact that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, your opponent chooses the insect type, not where the tile is played.

A slight variation to this is that whenever you wish to introduce a new tile, you present 3 insect tiles to your opponent, who must then choose from those 3 which gets introduced.

The idea in your first paragraph was already suggested in the variants forum. Search for "Quarto" variant.

waharvey wrote:

In none of these variants are you allowed to tell your opponent where to move/place a piece, just the type of piece to move/place.

As has been beseeched many times here before, "please stop 'effin with the 'effin spider".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
As has been beseeched many times here before, "please stop 'effin with the 'effin spider".

My suggestion: when the title of a post clearly includes the words "Spider variant", don't click on it. Or if you find yourself here anyway, stop reading immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.