kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am experimenting with a standard (8 MP) digital camera and figuring out what lighting i need etc. to start making lots of pics i will piece together. I am hoping to double the size of the map and then have it printed by a banner shop, probably on line, on canvas.

Before i do all that labor - are there any experts out there who think i can get a decent shot from 12 feet away to capture the whole thing in enough detail to blow it up 2X - or should i stick with the original plan to do it in many photos and piece together. I do have the ability to blend and make the edges of a bunch of photos blend together.

Would a portrait studio have the ability to take it in one pic with enough detail? Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest scanning it in at a print shop. That way it will be exactly the same, you won't have to worry about lighting, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A 35mm camera with an appropriate lens could do it. Your lens quality might be the limiting factor. All depends on the original size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unlikely that you can do this with a single photograph. Andrew's suggestion is best- if possible, scan the map.

Otherwise:
1. Use a fixed focal length lens (not a zoom),
2. Make sure the map is perpendicular to the camera for every photo,
3. Use a tripod,
4. Do not use flash.

Check out Picture Merge Genius

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
I would suggest scanning it in at a print shop. That way it will be exactly the same, you won't have to worry about lighting, etc.

That sounds like a good idea. I have tried scanning but the board is too big to fit in the frame of my scanner and it bridges with distance above the glass and comes out blurry. So you think a print shop has a scanner to beat that problem? And since we are neigbors and knowing your business, do you have a print shop you have used? Thanks Andrew kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the camera tips guys, in case the print shops are limited on size of scanning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
Thanks for the camera tips guys, in case the print shops are limited on size of scanning!

Is it a paper map? There is a fedex kinkos that has a large format printer/scanner that you can just feed in. It costs $7 per square foot just to scan though!

What size is the board? Most commercial scanners (on copiers) can go up to 11x17 - will that be big enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
Ozludo wrote:

4. Do not use flash.

I agree with everything BUT this. I wouldn't attempt to do this without an off-camera flash set up. Especially if you aren't going to be able to fit then entire map into the frame. I think the intent of your recommendation might have been "4. Do not use unmodified on-camera flash" If I had to recommend a setup for map reproduction, I'd go with a strobe on either side of the map and a polarizer over the lens.

Photographers have been doing reproductions and enlargements of existing art for years. This should be no different than trying to reproduce something like a painting. Digital tools make the process much simpler than it was in the film days and enable you to easily take the multiple frame route. That being said, I'd recommend trying to scan before you went the photo route.

If you do decide take photos, software that can auto-stitch your multiple frames into a single, un-distorted image is relatively easy to find and often free. Take a look at pano software like ptGUI or Hugin: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

Is it a paper map? There is a fedex kinkos that has a large format printer/scanner that you can just feed in. It costs $7 per square foot just to scan though!

What size is the board? Most commercial scanners (on copiers) can go up to 11x17 - will that be big enough?

Its mounted and large - The only way to scan is if the scanner doesn't have a raised frame (makes the board suspend above the glass)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy a cheap scanner, take the cover off, and use it upside down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Cow! I just had a great adventure. I searched the net 6 moths ago looking for a scanning solution with unlimited size and with out the bridging problem home scanners have. Tried to find a hand scanner. So today i find 2 bonifide hand scanners and then find it is just 3 miles away at Office Depot. For 100 US i could afford that experiment and if it didn't do as advertised take it back.

INCREDIBLE!! The scan is 3 times bigger at 100% size than the original. It picks up detail i can't see with the naked eye or with glasses. I have to get a magnifying glass for the confirmation. I am just blown away. I have worked with graphics and scanners for more than a decade and am taken by surprise with this. The color is just as printed on the board i am scanning. Thanks for making me look at scanning one more time guys and thanks for the picture blender pointers - will look into that software. When i get a chance to do all the scanning and started putting the pieces together i will come back and tell you how it went. thanks happy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
Holy Cow! I just had a great adventure. I searched the net 6 moths ago looking for a scanning solution with unlimited size and with out the bridging problem home scanners have. Tried to find a hand scanner. So today i find 2 bonifide hand scanners and then find it is just 3 miles away at Office Depot.

INCREDIBLE!! :)

What brand & model hand scanner is it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
I agree with everything BUT this. I wouldn't attempt to do this without an off-camera flash set up. Especially if you aren't going to be able to fit then entire map into the frame. I think the intent of your recommendation might have been "4. Do not use unmodified on-camera flash" If I had to recommend a setup for map reproduction, I'd go with a strobe on either side of the map and a polarizer over the lens.

Photographers have been doing reproductions and enlargements of existing art for years. This should be no different than trying to reproduce something like a painting. Digital tools make the process much simpler than it was in the film days and enable you to easily take the multiple frame route. That being said, I'd recommend trying to scan before you went the photo route.

If you do decide take photos, software that can auto-stitch your multiple frames into a single, un-distorted image is relatively easy to find and often free. Take a look at pano software like ptGUI or Hugin: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Umm. Not unless you have the equipment. My "no flash" advice assumes that the OP has access to a tripod and a "measuring stick" of some kind. Nothing else needed. A modern digital camera will get a good image with indirect light so long as nothing moves. Even the tripod is optional: the camera can be supported on a beanbag and triggered with the self timer.
The problem with flash is uneven light across the final stitched image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
treece keenes wrote:
Holy Cow! I just had a great adventure. I searched the net 6 moths ago looking for a scanning solution with unlimited size and with out the bridging problem home scanners have. Tried to find a hand scanner. So today i find 2 bonifide hand scanners and then find it is just 3 miles away at Office Depot.

INCREDIBLE!!

What brand & model hand scanner is it ?

OOP! a little too excited and overstimulated last night The one i was able to pick up locally was the VuPoint Magic Wand. I would read up on a lot of the reviews at Amazon. Using some ideas form there: I used a straight edge to keep the wand as a guide to rolling straight and then a box top to keep it perpindicular as i push the wand down the board. If you can't get all the way across a map or map section before the wand reaches its data limit for that image run, then make sure you do all the runs at the same length so they fit easier. The 4 runs i did last night were straight enough i could paste um together on the lap top with ease. Next week when i have the time i will do a quality session to get the whole map. I will put some spare boards on the edges i come in contact with so i can run the scanner over the edges. This was a problem others had and that was a solution they have used. I don't know yet if info on the very edge of a map can be snagged with out distortion because you are running into the bump (going from one board to another). Myself - I don't need the edge of the map in this particular case and won't miss that 1/4 inch or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.