Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Settlers of Catan
Hello Catanimals and Android users. Unfortunately, the release of Catan: The First Island has been delayed by our partners USM. The game will now release in early June. We know all of you have been eagerly awaiting the release of the game for Android, and the announcement of a firm release date. We apologize for the delay and we'll have a firm release date to announce soon.

From the Settlers Facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I have been wondering the same thing. Android is the #1 O/S among smartphones, and yet game developers don't give it much love! They are too busy with the iPhone / iPad.

I have nothing against them, but Android development sounds like a "no brainer."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Developers aren't interested in who has the largest share of OS's they are interested in revenue - and currently it is thought to be very difficult to make any on Android - hence the main money makers on Android are ports of successful IOS games such as Angry Birds since they already have the pull to make enough sales. If you look here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20032012-37.html
You will see that Apple take 82.7% of the overall revenue from application purchases which is a huge market share. Except as a hobby programmer you would be mad to develop for Android first, especially since you have to deal with platform fragmentation as well.

While the difference will no doubt drop as Android takes more and more of the OS market I think it will take awhile, and it may only happen by Androis catching up rather than Apple dropping. Furthermore having early mover advantage here is crucial since people get financially committed to their platform - ie I bought an Ipad in June last year and spent maybe £100 on apps - when I came to replace my Nokia smartphone in December it was obvious that I should get an Iphone since I would be able to use the same apps...

So I don't see anything changing in the short term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john p
msg tools
We are allready in the second half of june and no android catan to be seen. Is there a day allready in mind or will it just be delayed again? Any ideia about the cost of the app?
Please do reply

Tanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Jendreizik
Denmark
Brabrand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it. So far i have lost all AI games. 10-0 :yuk:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.