Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Normandy '44» Forums » Strategy

Subject: German Tactics first 7 turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Buttridge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've played this a couple times now in Korea, and both games have resulted in the allies running wild down the center near the British / American operations line. In one case the Americans broke through and rampaged, in another the British did (While the Americans cut off Cherbourg) by Turn 7. What does the German need to do to prevent loosing along this allied line?

Also - what do people think about the Flank attack optional rule? Do you use it? It sounds like a major game changer - who does it help?

Thanks,

Ian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the line where the British and the Americans meet should be the weak link in their line, not their strength. Since the two allies are restricted from going beyond the line without penalty, and the two can't combine attacks. This is the area I usually stick Pz Lehr. 12SS should be on Lehr's right flank which is a pretty powerful punch against the British right flank. Once south of Bayuex the terrain is favorable to defense, the Germans are out of range of the battleships and have a shorter road for reinforecements. Also, build IP's as soon as your able. In addition to bocage there are forests and hills that favor the defender. 17SS I usually bring in around StLo, so they are to Pz Lehrs left. The Germans have good divisions with superior armor which need to be used early in the game to try and get the auto victory conditions. If the game goes to long, the Germans will simply be out manned. The German player has to win early.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In the few campaigns I have played (as allies) the germans have lost in the late game with an allied breakthrough around the German eastern flank (across pegasus bridge) although the peninsula was also about to collapse in one of those games.

Timely withdrawals and well positioned German pieces using terrain and IP's should hold the allies around the army line of division.

The game is hard for the germans, so we play with flank and german battery rules in effect(as they help the germans a little). Even so the allies still won in the late game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Since the two allies are restricted from going beyond the line without penalty...


Note that they are allowed to cross one hex over the line without penalty. Someone on CSW mentioned that they got burned by thinking they could not cross the line at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
gohrns wrote:
In my opinion the line where the British and the Americans meet should be the weak link in their line, not their strength. Since the two allies are restricted from going beyond the line without penalty, and the two can't combine attacks. This is the area I usually stick Pz Lehr. 12SS should be on Lehr's right flank which is a pretty powerful punch against the British right flank. Once south of Bayuex the terrain is favorable to defense, the Germans are out of range of the battleships and have a shorter road for reinforecements. Also, build IP's as soon as your able. In addition to bocage there are forests and hills that favor the defender. 17SS I usually bring in around StLo, so they are to Pz Lehrs left. The Germans have good divisions with superior armor which need to be used early in the game to try and get the auto victory conditions. If the game goes to long, the Germans will simply be out manned. The German player has to win early.


So are you leaving just the 21st Panzer to defend Caen then?
I usually find I have to use the 12th SS in the city itself along with them to defend all the villages north of Caen as I prefer to to give myself the extra breathing room.

My games don't usually see the Brits taking Caen anyway; I find it the most difficult of the Allied win conditions. Perhaps I could try being more bold and offensive with the 12th SS though; they are a damn good unit and can push the British hard and threaten the 5-cadre victory.

I agree with Leher and 17th SS in those positions though, the 101st SS Tiger battalion with the Leher to push the British back in the middle. (East of the army boundary line and west of Caen.)

Have you ever been able to win by pushing the Allies back into the sea? (Close three beaches.)

I find this almost impossible with decent Allied play...think you'd need to see very bad landing rolls, lots of storm turns, and success in keeping the Allies pinned with ZOC bonds with the weaker infantry regiments until the panzer divisions get up.

God I love this game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Darlington
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about adding a further +1 for the Determined Defense table just for the germans?. I've been thinking this could help the germans holding their lines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
something wrote:
they are a damn good unit and can push the British hard and threaten the 5-cadre victory.


I solo won once with this rule.
But it was my first play and it never happened again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff - I find the Germans win, when they do win, through the Allies exceeding their lost formations limit. Too many divisions destroyed, in other words. It is hard to hold all the way to the end in the full length campaign, though it is perfectly feasible to just hold the line in the shorter scenario. In the longer one, it tends to come down to whether the Allies hit their loss limits before the German line cracks or vice versa.

As for holding in the center, it is usually a matter of using the doubled MP strategic movement for a mobile formation or two, plus using replacements and such to shore up the line behind Bayeaux (sp?). 12SS can stretch from Caen to the west a bit, 17SS can be all in the hedgerow rough stuff opposite the Americans, and Lehr is the reserve that patches whatever most needs patching.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.