Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Can you play with more than 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a silly question. I don't know much about the game.


But for me to consider this, it will likely have to have more player support than 2.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules for multiplayer are here.

Edit: I know those rules are for the CCG but nothing has changed in the move to it being an LCG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
The official rules for multiplayer are here.

Edit: I know those rules are for the CCG but nothing has changed in the move to it being an LCG.



Good to know. Is it fun with more than 2 players?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The French players, on their website the Cenacle, have posted free excellent three and four player rules, in both English and
French.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
The official rules for multiplayer are here.

Edit: I know those rules are for the CCG but nothing has changed in the move to it being an LCG.



Good to know. Is it fun with more than 2 players?


I don´t like playing it with more than 2. It feels kinda stupid as it is designed for 2 obviously
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
The official rules for multiplayer are here.

Edit: I know those rules are for the CCG but nothing has changed in the move to it being an LCG.



Good to know. Is it fun with more than 2 players?


I've never tried it for fear that it would be incredibly chaotic.

I also have AGoT and it's built around multiplayer so it's my go-to for that purpose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Good to know. Is it fun with more than 2 players?


I've always found it to be very fun with 3 and even 4 players. The structure of choosing defenders keeps it balanced pretty well, and because everybody is out for themselves it makes it a very negotiation-heavy type of experience.

Not all decks work well in the multiplayer format though. A weanie rush deck that needs to win in the first couple turns just won't be able to unless you have some other tricks. And a combo deck that targets your opponent likely won't be able to beat multiple opponents. But all in all, it is good fun.

locusshifter wrote:
I also have AGoT and it's built around multiplayer so it's my go-to for that purpose.


It really wasn't, though. I mean, it functions incredibly well as a multiplayer, but it was definitely designed as a 2-player game. It functioned that way for 5+ years, with tournaments almost always sticking to the 2-player format.

In fact, when they switched the focus to multiplayer (right before the LCG), entire factions got the shaft. A large portion of Greyjoy's strategy was almost unplayable in multi-player, because they worked mostly off of deck discard. A large portion of their player base quit because of, or ignored completely, the switch from 2-player to multi, myself included.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

It really wasn't, though. I mean, it functions incredibly well as a multiplayer, but it was definitely designed as a 2-player game. It functioned that way for 5+ years, with tournaments almost always sticking to the 2-player format.

In fact, when they switched the focus to multiplayer (right before the LCG), entire factions got the shaft. A large portion of Greyjoy's strategy was almost unplayable in multi-player, because they worked mostly off of deck discard. A large portion of their player base quit because of, or ignored completely, the switch from 2-player to multi, myself included.


Whether it was or was not intended to be multiplayer in the CCG days is a bit of a moot point, not trying to discount your opinion and info here Ryan, but I really see the CCG and LCG as two different games, even though they are mechanically the same. Its pretty obvious FFG's direction was to make AGoT primarily a multiplayer game, and I think they did a fantastic job of it. The addition of the roles was rather ingenious and brings a flavor to the game that I just haven't seen anywhere else, and its what really makes the game work fantastically as a multiplayer.

I have yet to try CoC multiplayer, I think I will at some point but I just cant see it working out nearly as well as AGoT does, and unfortunately what it comes down to is if Ive got enough players together to play multi, is it going to be something that works extremely well (AGoT) or something that "kind of" works ok (COC, Invasion)?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've always found it to be very fun with 3 and even 4 players. The structure of choosing defenders keeps it balanced pretty well, and because everybody is out for themselves it makes it a very negotiation-heavy type of experience.

Not all decks work well in the multiplayer format though. A weanie rush deck that needs to win in the first couple turns just won't be able to unless you have some other tricks. And a combo deck that targets your opponent likely won't be able to beat multiple opponents. But all in all, it is good fun.


That's very encouraging. Our group loves Cthulhu and many have asked if multiplayer was a good option. I'm curious to actually attempt it now. My initial fears were that the game would get bogged down with too many players contesting the same story and therefore there would be too many effects and counters to allow the game to progress quickly and smoothly; I was also concerned that the game would become an un-fun mess of rules interactions.

Grant said it best: Some games play better than others multiplayer. I have yet to find a Invasion variant I am completely happy with, and hell the newest expansion Legends says that Invasion is a 2p game, completely dropping the idea of muliplayer. I still have, obviously, my reservations about Cthulhu multiplayer, but it's hard to argue with a world champion about any of the merits or pitfalls of it until I have tried it myself

Quote:
It really wasn't, though. I mean, it functions icredibly well as a multiplayer, but it was definitely designed as a 2-player game. It functioned that way for 5+ years, with tournaments almost always sticking to the 2-player format.

In fact, when they switched the focus to multiplayer (right before the LCG), entire factions got the shaft. A large portion of Greyjoy's strategy was almost unplayable in multi-player, because they worked mostly off of deck discard. A large portion of their player base quit because of, or ignored completely, the switch from 2-player to multi, myself included.


Given this viewpoint then I would have to ask: Why did FF pack the LCG this way? They even state in the LCG rules that playing with less than four shouldn't be attempted right away without more experience.

I do see your point on certain factions being hurt by multiplayer, as they did reintroduce Greyjoy and Martell later, and I now assume that was to make them more viable in the Melee environment.

I also concede that I've always thought that the Joust would be a tougher, more skillful game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Melee here, but I know people who jumped into Joust with little skill and they definitely tend to be lopsided affairs with players of unequal skill. I'm of the opinion that Melee serves to ease players into the game and give them a taste of the big picture, seeing more than just one other faction, and letting them absorb more information about the game and it's inter-workings.

I also think that having one on one matches is much easier to manage, especially if you don't have a large showing on a tourney night, or any other night for that matter. It's much easier to have a card game be one on one for tournament purposes for another reason: you can never say that another player "cost you the win". Let's not also forget that the multiplayer environment has become more and more popular in MtG over the years so I'm sure FF was definitely motivated to have something with a standardized multiplayer format.

One last thing: A main reason that I've avoided Joust up to this point is that the titles are not used. We really enjoy that aspect of the game and I personally feel that it's what elevates AGoT even further above other LCG's.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
My initial fears were that the game would get bogged down with too many players contesting the same story and therefore there would be too many effects and counters to allow the game to progress quickly and smoothly;


Well we typically will play a 3-player game if we don't have even numbers, so we've been doing this pretty regularly over several years. That said, the 3-player game does take considerably longer than a 2-player version. Typically our 3-player games will about 2 hours, whereas we tend to play 2-player games in anywhere between 20-40 minutes.

I think that has to do mostly with the fact that you're likely only going to be going after one or two stories at a time, but almost never three like in the regular game. Because everyone is competing for the same stories, it just makes for a slower game, but no less interesting. And in fact, sometimes much more so.

Typically you'll have one person who typically defends against each other person, generally in a circle, but sometimes the other way around due to who matches up well.

locusshifter wrote:
I was also concerned that the game would become an un-fun mess of rules interactions.


That never seemed to be the case for us. However, I was the rules guru on Cthulhu's website for a couple years so I probably don't have the typical perspective on that one.

locusshifter wrote:
Why did FF pack the LCG this way? They even state in the LCG rules that playing with less than four shouldn't be attempted right away without more experience.


Well right before they announced the switch to LCG, they announced the change in focus to multiplayer. Clearly, they felt that the game and format could support it, and it does do so pretty well. But it was a pretty upsetting announcement for a lot of members in the GOT community at the time.

locusshifter wrote:
I also concede that I've always thought that the Joust would be a tougher, more skillful game. I'm not trying to take anything away from Melee here, but I know people who jumped into Joust with little skill and they definitely tend to be lopsided affairs with players of unequal skill.


Actually I think they are both equally difficult, given players of equal skill level. But you're right, a new player will get destroyed in Joust. You just have to accept that until you learn better.

locusshifter wrote:
I'm of the opinion that Melee serves to ease players into the game and give them a taste of the big picture, seeing more than just one other faction, and letting them absorb more information about the game and it's inter-workings.


The other side of that, and the main downside to multiplayer, is that it can often devolve into a "beat-up on the weakling" scenario. Since it's so easy to get power in that manner, there's a lot of potential abuse to be had there, which I really dislike.

locusshifter wrote:
One last thing: A main reason that I've avoided Joust up to this point is that the titles are not used. We really enjoy that aspect of the game and I personally feel that it's what elevates AGoT even further above other LCG's.


You could always try playing with them. I would randomly discard two of them each round, and then have the first player choose from what is left. I've never tried it, but in theory that would at least provide some variation on what roles are selected each round.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play a three player variant, the rules are here. It was a lot of fun. The main difference to the official multiplayer rules is that there are stories that only one opponent can defend.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.